Alfa Romeo Forums banner

901 - 920 of 1595 Posts

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
Keys

Actually, i don't have blanks but actual door keys with door lock barrels. I'm guessing the trunk lock key is not the same....is it?
My 2 unusable keys are not a blanks either but a cut door keys that won't slide in the barrels. It is an OE Alfa key with xxx stamped on it. My working door key has yyy stamped on it. As I mentioned the grooves on it are a mirror image of my working key. My working key operates the doors, trunk and glove box locks, but that MAY be because 30 years ago I went to the trouble of taking apart lock barrels and fiddling with them to get one door key to work instead of having 2 different door keys and possibly a glove box key etc...But thinking about what I have seen in owners handbooks I think that our GTVs have ignition and door/trunk/glove box keys? So 2 keys per car? Just looked at my owners hand book 2 keys per car "Ignition and antitheft device key" & "Key to both doors, glove compartment, boot lid" Interesting that in my hand book I have key codes written in boxes beside images of keys and the above description 4 #s for door and 5#s & a letter for ignition. This is all on the inside of the front cover of publication#1499 printed 10/69.
I am looking to get a spare door, ignition & locking gas cap key blanks.
PM sent.

·
Registered
279 Posts
The dynaliner is self-stick, and between the dynamat and dynaliner, it is pretty close to what was originally installed (I am guessing that it was 1/2 inch, but have not measured. I guess you could also stick a thinner layer of dynamat on top of the 1/2 inch to get it higher

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #903
Dynaliner does have an adhesive backing. It's a peel and roll on product. They do also make DynaPad which is a more heavy duty liner that's non adhesive. The OE that came out of my car was probably 1/2 to 3/4 an inch thick but I will say it was more solid and less spongy than the Dynaliner is. If you step on the dynaliner it compresses nearly flat whereas the OE material had very little give. I imagine the DynaPad product might be closer to the OE material but the non adhesive and one pound per square foot weight drove me to try out dynaliner instead.

I know Classic Alfa sells the original style of liner
I personally don't want it to be adhesive....so Dynapad may be the route I'd take, and for a 30 lbs weight hit...I'm not that worried about it. As for an OE equivalent, as long as it's mold and mildew resistant I will look into that as well...but one thing I definitely want to avoid is that musty mildewy odor that I believe natural fiber products are prone to.

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #904
My 2 unusable keys are not a blanks either.............. I am looking to get a spare door, ignition & locking gas cap key blanks.
PM sent.
I purchased new key's from KEYS4Classics which they also cut from the keycode #. I'm sure you could purchase blanks from them if you prefer to have them cut yourself.

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #905
The dynaliner is self-stick, and between the dynamat and dynaliner, it is pretty close to what was originally installed (I am guessing that it was 1/2 inch, but have not measured. I guess you could also stick a thinner layer of dynamat on top of the 1/2 inch to get it higher
Thanks for the tip.

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #907
Took this pic during disassembly.
Thanks for that!.I detested that old moldy carpet smell so much.... that I tossed out everything during the teardown stage....save one piece....which I don't recall where I stored it.

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #909
Mine managed to stay in one piece long enough to make templates. Every move, though, created a cloud of fiber dust. Glad it's gone.
Heh heh...yes I had the same with the carpet.....it disintegrated in my hands as i was lifting it up. Have you sourced out a new one already?

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #911
I created a thread about restoring the Tailight lenses, but it doesn't seem to get much exposure in that forum....at least that's my perception. So I thought I'd point some of you to it....

http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/car-restoration/406962-restoring-tailight-lens-chroming-silvering.html#post6178714

Quite simply i was wondering if any of you had any luck in actually finding a technique to restore the chrome effect on these lenses or if you actually found someone capable of doing so. Please post in that thread if you could please.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
With tail light lenses as they are coloured you can use the chrome effect paint which is available here and I`m sure is available where you reside. That is what I have used and is very effective in brightening the light emitted. You cannot tell that it is different from original. I have also used white enamel which is fine also but does give a slightly different and to me a slightly artificial modern look to the light emitted but when not on if the lenses themselves are not too faded it doesn`t look any different.

·
Premium Member
778 Posts
tail light lens chrome

How would one remove the chrome/paint without dulling the plastic? Polishing edges of the lenses from inside can damage old plastic, leaving cracks...

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #914

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #915
Source for light assembly seals

Currently I have all the light assemblies undergoing refurbishment.....of one sort or another...and will be posting up photos of this work. Of course at the same time more parts are on order from my favorite suppliers. Two things that's are stumping me at the moment are 1) the front turn signal rubber seals for the '69. Which as you can see in the first photo below my LH side one is pretty much toast. It seems that no supplier carries these.....does anyone have a spare one in good condition that they'd be willing to part with?

IMG_1704.jpg

The second thing that's stumping me are the headlight and fog light seals. These are not the same as what's offered by the usual suppliers....they seem to have the euro ones only....and those seem to be much wider that what's req'd for sealed beams as on the '69 cars.

IMG_5241.jpg

The part numbers match with what's listed in the part's catalog....so here too, has anyone found a source for these?..or might someone have a spare set available that's they'd be willing to part with?

IMG_5242.jpg

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #916
Well it seems that there are absolutely no spares to be had of these rubber seals for the lights...or at least no one is willing to part with whatever they may have in hand as spares.

As a result, I've been in contact with one of the Italian manufacturers of reproduction seals to see if they'd be willing to reproduce these. And the preliminary discussion has been positive. In order for me to determine whether or not this becomes viable, is to know how many of you 1969 GTV owners out there would be interested in a set of these. If you are, please send me a PM indicating interest...although the price point is still to be determined. I would think that seeing how tail light assembly seals are going for around $35-48 a set, and these being a much lower volume proposition, a price of $50-60 a set...seems about right. Any thoughts?

·
Premium Member
2,234 Posts
I'm game. Since these lights hang "boots up" it's preferable that the boots be the correct one-piece configuration. There may be wider interest since these are on several Italian car models (Ferrari 330 GT, Iso Grifo, etc.).

·
Registered
11,631 Posts
The second thing that's stumping me are the headlight and fog light seals
Why do you, and I think others, refer to the inner headlights as fog lights?

On my '71 the inner headlights are the high beam lights. Is there different wiring for American cars??.
Pete

·
Premium Member
2,234 Posts
Why do you, and I think others, refer to the inner headlights as fog lights?

On my '71 the inner headlights are the high beam lights. Is there different wiring for American cars??.
Pete
On USA models, the outer lights are high/low beams while the inner lights are fog lights. This possibly came about because the US required a specific size for headlights, and the 5 3/4" inner lights were too small.

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #920
I'm game. Since these lights hang "boots up" it's preferable that the boots be the correct one-piece configuration. There may be wider interest since these are on several Italian car models (Ferrari 330 GT, Iso Grifo, etc.).
Ok that's 2 sets so far....one for me and one for you. But you may be right w.r.t. these being used on these other cars...however, I don't have the time (nor the contacts) to explore this possibility. What was surprising to me is that the suppliers offering new reproduction assemblies didn't bother to offer correct seals for them.

901 - 920 of 1595 Posts