Alfa Romeo Forums banner

841 - 860 of 1595 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,341 Posts
I wonder if the guy who reviewed it tinted it Incorrectly and that's why it lifted? SEM products have always performed very well for me. Good stuff.

·
Premium Member
5,439 Posts
Hmm, didn't see the review. I've used it a dozen times and had virtually no trouble. The only time I've seen a problem was when it was applied (not by us) right over grease! Truth is, it held up pretty good despite.

My guess is the guy mixed it wrong. Urethane loves to stick to stuff.

My first go: I was doing the bottom of the GTV. Somehow it didn't occur to me to wear a hat and I ended up taking an hour long laquer thinner shower...

·
Registered
199 Posts
Colored undercoating

Ive used UPOL raptor tintable bed liner for 2 gtvs. Excellent and extremely durable. You can control the texture, easy to use in quarts and gun is included. I love it because the texture is semi smooth, factory like hardens quickly. Hard to tell when it chips or scratches. Its less expensive than other brands (around $135 on ebay).

·
Registered
3,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #844
Gents thanks for the suggestions on the use of bedliner....will give it some thought indeed.

Anyone else out there been having a hard time getting going on their projects like me? This February has been so brutally frigid and downright nasty that even with a heated garage I've been having a difficult time getting into the mood for working on the car!

So I thought a good place to start (to get me out of the February blues) would be to prefit some of the nice repro emblems that I bought a few years ago at the Detroit convention from Black-Barts.

I'm guessing that these are manufactured by Francoragni in Italy and quality of the finish is superb (chrome plated and polished)....

Ragni Franco, dal 1934 coniazioni artistiche industriali....

freggi 011.jpg

But....wouldn't you know it!!!!....:mad: :mad:..the iniezione emblem is the wrong size!! :mad:....:mad: Mixing the emblems new and old is not going to look right since the originals are aluminum and not chromed...which leads me to think that these won't be going on this car at all and I'll now have to go to plan "B" on these....polish the originals out as best as possible.

freggi 014a.jpg

And to add insult to injury.....the "C" pillar "Gold Quadrifoglio" emblems are dead flat and not contoured like the original ones below!!! :mad:...which when fitted on the "C" pillar itself results in an uneven (and very noticeable) gapping condition....:mad:...For this issue, I don't know what my plan is going to be at this point. I'm afraid that if I try to contour these somehow...I might end up cracking the white enamel(?) or epoxy that's imbedded.

freggi 026.jpg

One option might be to have the orignals re-plated in gold and then enameled afterwards...perhaps?

Anyone experience the same issues with these repro emblems?

·
Registered
3,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #846
You can have the original aluminum polished and chromed.

Robert
I could indeed. But after forking out almost $3K (a few year back) to have most of my chrome pieces re-chrome plated...I know these three pieces will cost me around $300 to have done. Plus, although I was generally quite pleased of the quality of their work....they did manage to screw up my ashtray by plating too thick over the delicate hatching pattern on the lid...essentially ruining it!

But I agree...this may still be the best solution...I guess I need to find a new plater!

·
Premium Member
2,234 Posts
Anyone else out there been having a hard time getting going on their projects like me?
Yes. But I wish mine were just weather related. I keep having health issues that are keeping me out of the garage.

Despite your setbacks, yours is coming along nicely. I'm jealous!

·
Premium Member
2,234 Posts
here are a few pics of what I have, think is repro also, but very good made, not flat on the backside
It's not the dishing of the badge but the curvature that he's looking for. I bought mine from Black Bart's during the 2010 Convention and they have the curvature.

IMG_1930.jpg

·
Registered
284 Posts
Small encouragement against the Blues

Hi Rossano

Great work, great pictures.

Look at this with a little nostalgia, since my 2000 GTV, Jg. 72 comes to mind. It was 343 Blu Olandesed and was over 25 years in my possession.
My first car that I bought as a 18-year-old with my entire time savings. When the car was almost perfect, there was nothing more to do and I sold it.

What I can not say that about my current car.
There is still much to do but I can not wait and I look forward. The one or other small setback is one of them and is the salt in the soup.

Whatever is most work is the bodywork and you've finished. Mechanics of the car is never the problem. Most of the time;-))

If it gets too cold in the garage there's only one wait until it warms up and look at the pictures of the work is done in the meantime. Of course, with a big grin on the face.

Saluti
Marcel

·
Registered
3,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #853
Ok so I may have experienced my first brain freeze of 2015 (I blame the deep freeze we've been experiencing in the North for this). After seeing your post Quadrifolio and Shadetree's.....I went back to check mine and they are in fact slightly dished...much the same as yours. Nonetheless they still don't sit flush to the body and have an uneven gap.

freggi 025.jpg

I may just have to live with them as is....and will probably just fill the peripheral gaps with a black sealant.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Ok so I may have experienced my first brain freeze of 2015 (I blame the deep freeze we've been experiencing in the North for this). After seeing your post Quadrifolio and Shadetree's.....I went back to check mine and they are in fact slightly dished...much the same as yours. Nonetheless they still don't sit flush to the body and have an uneven gap.

View attachment 731249

I may just have to live with them as is....and will probably just fill the peripheral gaps with a black sealant.
May be seem a stupid suggestion but did you try to change side (left/right)? based on the pillar shape the bending could be diagonal in some way so they could be specific for one side.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
May be seem a stupid suggestion but did you try to change side (left/right)? based on the pillar shape the bending could be diagonal in some way so they could be specific for one side.
None of the repros are manufactured with the correct curve - it is the bane of GTV restorers the world over. Of course, the flip side is the crap shoot of trying to buy NOS ones, and forking out a fortune to wind up with multiples of the same side.
I thought I'd found a guy to restore the cloisonne badges - there was a guy in Newcastle Australia who was restoring enamel badges for restorers world wide - did magnificent work in the correct way - strip the old enamel and chrome, lay down new enamel, grind and buff it back flush with the metal, and then chrome the badge (the chrome isn't deposited on the enamel). Of course, when I got around to getting my badges done, I found out he'd passed away 6 months earlier...
There *must* be someone out there restoring cloisonne type badges, but the enamel art type people i've contacted are plain not interested it seems.

841 - 860 of 1595 Posts