Alfa Romeo Forums banner

781 - 800 of 1595 Posts

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #782
Rich I was tempted to try the powder coating kits....but after spending a few hundred dollars in trying to set up a plating system and watching that stall out....I opted not to explore it at this point....I even have a working oven set up in my garage ready to go....

Anyhow....I managed to grab a photo this morning with my iPad of the other side of the car in guide coat stage. John tells me they may get a chance to shoot the door jambs and engine compartment in paint this week...progress!

image.jpg

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #784
Okay we were all a little optimistic about getting some paint on before Christmas. John had his bodyman refit the hood but he wasn’t totally happy with the front contour match …..so a little more filler and sanding was required to get it right.

Picture 098.jpg

At this point the whole car’s more or less complete on the first block sanding...

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #787
I couldn't agree more with the last 2 posts gents.

So with the car at the paint shop I’ve been refurbishing some of the other mechanicals …like the driveshaft. Tear down, blast and paint was pretty straight forward.

IMG_0166_renamed_18296.jpg IMG_0184_renamed_18590.jpg

Installing new bearing into new housing support is straight forward. Finishing off with pressing of the bearing and support assembly back onto drive shaft.

IMG_2560_renamed_160.jpg

So all was good…until I came across a drawing in the Alfa manual. At that point realized that I totally lost track of the spacer that goes between the fwd slinger and a propshaft.Dang!....I know I saw that spacer on the initial teardown but after that I totally lost track of it. I think I painted it at the same time as all the driveshaft bits…but can’t recall now.

IMG_2567_renamed_12316.jpg

So with that brain fart admission......is there a chance that someone has their driveshaft out their car and that they can verify the dimension shown below?

IMG_2564_renamed_21388.jpg

Namely, the distance from the flange face to the forward edge of the bearing housing measures in at 93mm….on mine. I would really appreciate it if someone can verify this dimension…this’ll tell me for sure whether that spacer is in position…..because I do recall that the width of spacer is around .25” or so.?

·
Registered
11,660 Posts
Namely, the distance from the flange face to the forward edge of the bearing housing measures in at 93mm….on mine. I would really appreciate it if someone can verify this dimension…this’ll tell me for sure whether that spacer is in position…..because I do recall that the width of spacer is around .25” or so.?
I will measure this for you. If not today over the weekend.
Pete

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #790
This is mine! Interested to know others.
Thanks for that.

I'd be interested in other as well. In the meantime,it looks like I should plan on having a plate made to the 74mm dimension of that sketch so that I can press the bearing support off without screwing it up.

·
Registered
11,660 Posts
This is mine! Interested to know others.
Okay I've measured mine, but not as accurately as you have because mine has not been separated yet. But it is over 91.5 and less than 92mm so I'd agree with 91.7mm's.
Pete

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #794 (Edited)
Okay I've measured mine, but not as accurately as you have because mine has not been separated yet. But it is over 91.5 and less than 92mm so I'd agree with 91.7mm's.
Pete
Thanks Pete....looks like this little project (refurb of driveline) is yet another one that I need to take a few steps backwards on...:frown2:...I've lost count of how many jobs I've started but not been able to close out....:frown2:.

No progress on paint this week so to keep things positive I'm posting a photo from my last visit to the paint shop....

image.jpg

...ahhh...I feel better already....:smile2:

·
Premium Member
6,348 Posts
Very crisp, I like it!

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #796

Attachments

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #797
:grin2::grin2:.....I just have to add a few more....:grin2::grin2:

Attachments

·
Registered
392 Posts
It looks great! Love the color. Now the fun part of bringing it back together!

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
That must feel quite amazing! Can't wait to see pictures in the sun. Looking great.

·
Registered
392 Posts
What is your plans on the seat brackets that are welded to the floor? I don't see any. I'm debating not putting mine back on before painting, but would need to bold them instead of welding.

781 - 800 of 1595 Posts