Alfa Romeo Forums banner

761 - 780 of 1595 Posts

·
Registered
3,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #761
T-Bar Part 2

....to get the outer part of the rubber bushing out of the main housing, I first had to remove all the rubber (Sorry folks but I forgot to take pics of the next few steps this procedure)..

IMG_0856.jpg

One way would be to burn the mess out with a torch....but the thought of nasty burning rubber didn't appeal to me. Instead I opted to soak the whole assembly overnight in a can of lacquer thinner. To my surprise, the rubber swelled so much that it separated completely clean from the outer bushing of the isolator. Next I welded a "cross piece" of steel to the inner bore of the outer housing . I was then able to use a hydraulic press to press out the inner piece by supporting the outer main housing and pushing on this welded cross piece.

IMG_0088.jpg

IMG_0087.jpg

(the photos above were of course taken after it was pressed out of the main housing)....apologies for lack of photos on this...

·
Registered
3,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #762
T-bar Part III

I know Part II was maybe not so clear due to lack of photos....but perhaps the photos below of both sides of the new rubber bushing helps to make some of the procedure clearer?.........

IMG_0911.jpg

IMG_0910.jpg

·
Registered
3,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #763
Tee Bar part IV

Some more fun stuff.....bead blasted the housings, and painted them with 2 coats of anti rust semi-gloss black paint...

IMG_0909.jpg

...next task was to press the new isolators into the housings. For this I used my hydraulic press....(which sure makes this task a snap to do )...

IMG_0916.jpg

Unfortunately the press is not deep enough for the whole T-bar assembly to fit....as a result, I had to install the isolator assemblies onto the T-bar using a brass drift and :hammer:..

IMG_0091.jpg

...of course this is where I then realized that I forgot to check the orientation of the isolators.......:scared:......:cursing:...........

....:sweatdrop:...:sweatdrop:....but after checking with the photos taken at teardown......:thumbup1:...it looks right......whew!...

·
Registered
3,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #766
I popped by the body shop this morning and was pleased to see more progress than what I was expecting....

image.jpg

The roof was rougher and bumpier than what they thought.....so hopefully that'll get tackled next week .....

·
Registered
3,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #769
That is one clean body shop!
Yeah this shop specializes in collision work and don't normally do an extensive project like this.....the shop is usually kept relatively clean. But this particular area is their pre-paint area so they do filler/sanding work in an adjacent "dirty area" that they enclose with a roll around plastic curtain....then they move the chassis out to here to facilitate clean-up.....the chassis dolly was very much appreciated by all accounts.

image.jpg

The back end is almost complete as we'll.

·
Registered
3,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #770
So I've been progressing on the front suspension as well. It needed a lot of cleaning up to say the least....

100_1954.jpg

I started this few months back....started with dis assembly and degrease followed by crushed glass blasting...

IMG_0765.jpg

...then two coats of semigloss rust paint...

IMG_0791.jpg

....and pressed in the new bushings.....

IMG_0797.jpg

IMG_0794.jpg

·
Registered
3,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #773
More fun and simple stuff ....front upright assemblies....

IMG_6661.jpg IMG_6714.jpg

I purchased new bearings assemblies...but haven't installed them yet. I'm going to do a more thorough inspection of the original ones. Who knows, I might just find that they're still in decent shape...I hate throwing out good parts...especially OE alfa ones...

IMG_6715.jpg IMG_6717.jpg

·
Registered
558 Posts
Nice and "sani".
What paint are you using on the parts ?
I've always had a thing about trying Imron, but I don't know if that's the best anymore in terms of longevity and chip resistance.
I used a powder coater on the bits on my car when I did it (90s) and have mixed feelings about it. I can't argue about how it's lasted, though.
/Neil

·
Registered
3,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #776
Neil/tony....rattle can...two or three coats is what I decided to go with. My initial plan was to do powder coating....but I've seen more than just your comment from folks that have gone that route that they've had mixed feelings about the merits of it. Plus and probably more importantly....I'm trying keep costs in check....and have opted to put money into other areas....such as re-chroming of the interior parts.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Remember also that it is easy to "over restore" these cars - they had painted suspension components. I don`t know about the States but in the rest of the world the trend is towards appreciation of original appearance, not over the top glossy suspension and glossier than they ever came out with paint jobs.

·
Registered
3,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #778
True enough about overdoing things Richard...but it is temping at times to go with the best of everything that's so easily available on the market now adays. I mean if you're just doing one task at a time then costs aren't going to get out of control...but if it's a complete and full out restoration....you really have to keep things under control..hence my decision to stay with paint as much as possible.

·
Premium Member
5,439 Posts
I bought a $60 HF powder coating gun and repurposed an old oven. The cost of powder is practically negligible and the result is far superior to the factory finish. You can call that over restoration but if i were going for originality I'd have to go back and apply some rust promoting products to the rockers...:whistling::whistling:

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
The reality is though that you can`t see improved rust protection but you can see glossier than normal suspension and bodywork. It just gives that false look. I guess I`m fortunate too in that I live in a temperate climate where we don`t get concerned about salt on roads in winter etc etc so don`t need to powdercoat suspension. Just as well we are all different though, isn`t it.

761 - 780 of 1595 Posts