Alfa Romeo Forums banner
2101 - 2120 of 2137 Posts

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,101 ·
Well....I would say my first outing to the monthly cruise night was a partial success. I managed to make it to the event....
evidence in this link ....

GTA East / Durham Region Alfa meet and drive

The debut was partially spoiled by a puddle of brake fluid just below the right front tire. I won't know the cause of this till I check it out tomorrow. Should be either a blown right front caliper seal or the flex hose ....which is a little disconcerting considering I replaced every seal in the braking system and used only regular brake fluid. Needless to say I now have only 2 more free tows on my CAA account....( I sure hope I won't need to use any more of these) for the rest of this year!

·
Premium Member
5,903 Posts
...Needless to say I now have only 2 more free tows on my CAA account....( I sure hope I won't need to use any more of these) for the rest of this year!
There was a point when AAA would call me weekly and ask where they should meet me (not really but I suspect they were thinking about it)...

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,104 ·
OK....it's back on the road again. The problem turned out to be....

Helmet Headgear Motor vehicle Personal protective equipment Auto part

...the caliper bolts coming loose. Thankfully an easy fix.....torqued to correct value and with thread locker Loctite this time. Of course the brake fluid did remove most of the paint on the inside of the wheel.

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Synthetic rubber

...but hey it's only paint and something that can be redone in the future....during the winter downtime perhaps.

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,105 · (Edited)
...There was a point when AAA would call me weekly and ask where they should meet me (not really but I suspect they were thinking about it)...
LOL...I hear you there Rich. In my case...I wonder if they'll refuse to renew my membership knowing I'm starting to be become a high use member ? :) Maybe I have an asterisk * tagged against my profile as well...

·
Premium Member
412 Posts
Might do a nut and bolt check..much like a pre delivery inspect. Things always seen to need a double check. Use a paint stick or liquid paper after you check all fasteners. Glad that things are back on the road.

·
Registered
1968 1750 GTV USA Bianco Spino
155 Posts
Ah the brakes... Managed to strip some of my fresh paint troubleshooting brakes (had to get new rebuilded calipers in the end), the servos (2 rebuilds on those) and master pumps (new ones after the old ones failed.

The joys of restoring .

Sent from my M2011K2G using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,108 ·
...Managed to strip some of my fresh paint troubleshooting brakes ....
Well then in my case there's a bright side in that no brake fluid landed on the bodywork. I suppose I was lucky....this time. I also wonder.....if the wheels were powder coated....would the powder coat have been resistant enough to the brake fluid (DOT 4) ?

·
Registered
4,541 Posts
I was about to say I can try some on a powdercoated part then I realize I have a powder setup because I watched you do it so why don't you tell us :)

·
Registered
1968 1750 GTV USA Bianco Spino
155 Posts
Well then in my case there's a bright side in that no brake fluid landed on the bodywork. I suppose I was lucky....this time. I also wonder.....if the wheels were powder coated....would the powder coat have been resistant enough to the brake fluid (DOT 4) ?
Can't answer that since my leaks happened during setting up and bleading. At least on the wheel sides.
Wheels are powder coated though.

Sent from my M2011K2G using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,111 ·
...so why don't you tell us :)
Hmmm....good point....though I'd have to dismount the tires and strip all the paint first....so not something I want to undertake till I get a few thousand kilometers on it so it wouldn't be for a while.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Respray the back of the rim, as you did originally and keep driving! ;)

Reactions: PSk

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,114 ·
...Respray the back of the rim, as you did originally and keep driving! ;)
Actually.....I just reinstalled it as. The Brake fluid removed the clear coat and enamel within minutes ...but it did not remove the zinc phosphate (metal prep)....so for now it's all back on.

Yep, just repaint the wheel. Brake fluid not leaking should be the goal, not making everything brake fluid proof..Pete
Good point.....I was just wondering though how resistant the powder coat is to the BF.....I guess the answer will have to wait till I try it out on a test piece.

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
This has been the best thread I’ve ever followed on the BB forum :) Really has been an inspiration for my own restoration. You’ve taught me so much even without you knowing it!!! Some little hiccups but oh well its still awesome to see the progress.

In my experience the powder coat should be somewhat resistant to brake fluid (maybe just takes the gloss away). Even enamel has some resistance though depends on the time it sits I guess. It looks as though it may have been acrylic?? Just by the way it reacted (wow). Thankfully your body paint wasn’t affected.

I’ve usually just use 2 pac which seems fairly resilient. The single pac spray cans don’t seem to last in my experience (brake fluid really eats it away)

Great to see it driving on youtube, looks fantastic :)

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,116 ·
....This has been the best thread I’ve ever followed on the BB forum :) Really has been an inspiration for my own restoration. You’ve taught me so much even without you knowing it!!! Some little hiccups but oh well its still awesome to see the progress.
Thank you for the kind words!....I'm happy to hear that all my postings have helped with your efforts as well.....that's what I was hoping the thread would do....but TBO it was also to keep me going with feedback and support.

....In my experience the powder coat should be somewhat resistant to brake fluid (maybe just takes the gloss away). ....
I would have attempted to powder coat them the first time...but I was concerned that it would not flow well into the crevice formed between the wheel center and the outer rim....hence the use of regular enamel and urethane clear coat.....which took way too much time to prep and finish. If I had to do these again....I would go with powder coat.

...I’ve usually just use 2 pac which seems fairly resilient. The single pac spray cans don’t seem to last in my experience (brake fluid really eats it away)....
I used a base enamel and urethane clear coat. When the tire shop mounted the tires on the wheels....the lubricant they used stained the clearcoat in a few places as well....so not very durable at all.

·
Registered
4,541 Posts
Rossano,

A friend gave me a spare set of wheels for my 964 that I intended to use in the winter. I paid my powder coating shop to blast them and thought I would shoot them myself mostly as an experiment. As I thought about the challenges you are mentioning with regard to flowing the powder into all sides and the faraday problem I decided to pay them to shoot them as well. Their prices are quite good so it was a no brainer. They aged well after a CT winter.

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
I just checked on the weekend and noticed the clear coat I bought for the wheels is a satin urethane paint…..bugger!!! Oh well I don’t want to take the chance so powder coat it is. I was planning to use the BMW 2002 silver in 2 pac as a base which some have spoken about being a close match, but a generic powder coat silver will do fine. My wheels are original so I’ll try to get a close match.

Thanks mate :)

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,119 ·
...As I thought about the challenges you are mentioning with regard to flowing the powder into all sides and the faraday problem I decided to pay them to shoot them as well. Their prices are quite good so it was a no brainer. They aged well after a CT winter....
Good call on that.

.... but a generic powder coat silver will do fine.....
You could always get a sample piece first before comitting to the final....just in case it's not quite what you want.

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,120 ·
More local runs down Lakeshore blvd here in my hometown. I found this house near the lake that had the most perfect lawn I've ever seen....

Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Vehicle Land vehicle

...upon close inspection I realised it was all artificial turf around the entire perimeter of the house! That fence is about 9 ft high as well!

2101 - 2120 of 2137 Posts