Alfa Romeo Forums banner
2081 - 2100 of 2137 Posts

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,081 ·
......Here I thought they were OE.....but now I'm thinking now way...
I was wrong....

..Yes the wiper arms do look wrong. You should compare to other S1 1750s and stepnose GT Jrs. As you know 70 and onward had different arms.
I just spent some time looking at a bunch of other 1969 GTVs on BAT.....and sure enough most seem to have the same type of wiper arms as what I currently have.
Mine for reference.....
Yes I see that they are the same.. I was thinking that they needed to be like the 2000 GTV arms which place the blades much lower down on the windscreen (due to the bends in the arms being at much lower position). .... I guess I will be keeping mine as is after all?

·
Registered
1968 1750 GTV USA Bianco Spino
155 Posts
Think it was just the angle of that photo. Here's a fresh (and dirty) one.

Sent from my M2011K2G using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,083 ·
If rotate mine down further the blades will not sit at a horizontal position which doesn't look right in my eyes at least. I was thinking to maybe try and decrease the bend angle in the arm which would then allow it to rotate downwards a bit more.......but at the same I don't want to mar up the arms with tool marks. Knowing that these are the original style arms I will keep them as is and move on.

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,085 · (Edited)
. .. I believe the slop is in the linkage and really can't be helped.
Yes I found that to be the case as well...so I glued (using Loctite superglue) some thin .010" thick ABS plastic material to the existing plastic pivot in the wiper arm hook....that seems to help a little bit.

Been driving the local neighbourhood this morning and came across this newbie....OLD MEETS NEW....

The engine is starting to feel looser and is pulling nicely up to 4000rpm.....it's also dropping nicely down to idle at around 800 rpm and is no longer cutting out on me when coming to a stop. Of course I'm still chasing tiny oil leaks....the latest being the side plate on the FI pump....but an easy fix compared to pulling a tranny!

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,086 ·
Well the Alfa gods aren't shining upon me ..... 😢 once again.

This morning was beautifully sunny and cool and I decided to finally try the car on the freeway for a little further distance and higher speeds than what I've been doing up to now. The car ran nicely up to 110kph with no vibrations. On the return home I was pulling into to my neighbourhood and the engine died...it would not restart. Luckily I was on a downward slope to my house so I managed to coast all the way home. I tested for spark at the plugs....and nada. I pulled the distributor cap... cranked the engine over and.....no rotation....#$%!!! it. I'm guessing either the oil pump shaft is sheared off or the gears are sheared. I'm hoping I can lift the engine enough to get the pan off without having to pull the engine.

·
Premium Member
412 Posts
Drain the oil and remove the lower pan. You can look there and visually inspect. If the oil pump drive is gone there should be signs of the gear pieces. 😢. Good luck

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,089 ·
...Drain the oil and remove the lower pan. You can look there and visually inspect. If the oil pump drive is gone there should be signs of the gear pieces. 😢. Good luck
Lower pan removed...no bits noted in bottom of oil pan. I have a feeling the shaft must be sheared....but won't know till I get the pump out.
..Check first maybe the distributor isn't eated....hope it is that easy🙏
I wish that were the case. When I crank the engine...the distributor drive gear is not moving.

Getting the pump off .....2 of the bolts are straightforward enough to remove....

...the third I have no direct tool line of sight for a socket wrench to it and is hiding underneath the split flange of the pump. It'll require a modified wrench with a bend or 2 to get at this bolt...

·
Premium Member
412 Posts
Try a 1/4 inch flex 13mm socket and a long extension . That may work. Sorry for the troubles as we all just want to enjoy the fruits of our hard work. Good luck

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,091 ·
A 1/4" socket & universal won't fit ....clearance is inadequate. This is what I came up with (it's a take on the distributor nut wrench).....

Hand tool Tool Wind instrument Metal Wood

not the prettiest but it did the job. The wrench end is a max of 35mm long and works nicely on the forward hard to get at bolt.

Automotive tire Tire Rim Bicycle part Bicycle chain

I was also able to use it on the third hard to get at bolt as well....but just. Ideally a longer wrench end would work better...but as it did the job anyways I decided not to bother. Of course things are always easier to remove....so I'll have to see if this tool works on reinstallation of the third bolt. That said....this is what I found....no wonder I was getting oil pressure but no rotation on the dizzy.

Product Automotive tire Gas Automotive lighting Auto part

Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Rim

This was a real pity as the gears and housing on this pump were in decent condition. I'll have to go and dig out some of my other spare pumps I picked up over the years....hopefully there's another good one in the bunch.

·
Premium Member
412 Posts
Ouch! Well at least the engine us not damaged! May want to get Gordon Raymond here on the bb , he is an expert oil pump rebuilder! He rebuilt my pump and many others. It would be worth it if you have an original alfa made pump. Just a suggestion and hope things go better, soon. Awesome car!

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,095 ·
..May want to get Gordon Raymond here on the bb , he is an expert oil pump rebuilder! ...
Yes from all accounts he's one of the best. If I had to rebuild it in a major way I would consider it in the future. The pump I had was a pretty good pump as it was....I just cleaned it out good before re-installation. It seems that the DIASS posted by BradF tells me that my case was likely an installation issue more so than the pump itself.....then again who knows....with a 50 year old part....it's always a gamble innit?

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,098 ·
..It is the madness of being an alfa owner 🙃🤯
Yeah...madness is in having to learn all the little tricks and tips and special instructions so as to avoid the downfalls I've experienced already.

..I install the pump first to the front cover so i can check, rotating it if it turns freely in its bore, than i install the hole as a unit to the engine..
That's a good tip as well...though not applicable in this situation.

·
Premium Member
3,436 Posts
Did you get it all back together? Will we see you tonight at La Paloma Cars & Coffee?

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,100 ·
Yes all together.....took it for a spin as well last night .....timing is a tad off and there is still room for optimizing the FI pump. But that will come in the near future (I hope.......provided I get no more surprises in the next little while). So....we'll see if I'm silly enough to venture an 80km round trip tonight with things not 100% settled. I have 3 more free tows (out of 5) with the CAA...but I'd have to be picked up from the side of the road if it breaks down....hence the need to take the long way there with side streets...no freeways just yet.

2081 - 2100 of 2137 Posts