Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
78 Alfa Spider
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for recommendations for an affordable outdoor car cover. Looks like prices range from $30-$275. Anyone have any experience with these? Need to park the car out in the driveway for a few months. Thanks

·
Administrator
14,293 Posts
My serious recommendation is not to use a car cover that fits snuggly on to the car, but to polish your car like we used to in the old days.

Let me explain my opinion:
Years ago I needed garage space and this was when I used my fathers garage space. So I bought a very expensive car cover for his Jensen Interceptor, and this worked but there are lots of issues with car covers that we learnt:
1. Your cover has to be a special breathable car cover with a very soft inner liner. You must never, ever use a tarpaulin like car cover, unless you plan to repaint your car soon and want to use the car cover to start the sanding process
2. You cannot put a car cover on a hot car, even if it is snowing and raining/hailing, unless you want your car to turn back into iron ore. A hot engine under a car cover causes humidity => rust
3. You cannot put a car cover on an unclean car, because the dirt under a moving car cover (yes they move because of the wind) acts like sand paper
4. They rip easily as they get caught on bumpers, aerials, etc.
5. A car cover makes people wonder what is under the car cover that is so special and important that it needs a car cover, so IMO there is an argument here that it encourages not discourages interest in your car

Do you have a mate or family friend with a carport OR are you able to purchase/hire one of those temporary garage covers that have a frame that means the tarpaulin cover never actually touches the car => good idea

Best
Pete

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
For what car? I have a spider cover, the Noah by Covercreaft that I used for a couple of months indoors. Still looks brand new. Centerline sells the for $300, looking for $200 for the cover.

·
Registered
431 Posts
For what car? I have a spider cover, the Noah by Covercreaft that I used for a couple of months indoors. Still looks brand new. Centerline sells the for $300, looking for $200 for the cover.

I have had two Covercraft Noah's (first one finally gave up after six years) on my S2 which has always sat outside since I bought it eight years ago, no deterioration in paintwork and spider has been regularly put away damp and dirty, all I can say is its 30 year old respray must have been proper quality, however I wouldn't use one on a car with new paint or one in concours condition, mine is no trailer queen but it shines up nicely

·
Administrator
14,293 Posts
Seems I didn't purchase the right car cover! Oh well, live and learn

Pete

1 - 5 of 5 Posts