Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

Think I'm getting back into Alfa's again after about a 15 year hiatus (after selling my '72 Berlina which I partially restored). Been car shopping for a friend who wanted a fun unique car and I immediately thought Alfa! He may be loosing interest but mine has sparked again!

I'm looking at a '79 Alfetta Veloce Coupe which seems to be well maintained (service records dating back till new), basically clean and unmolested (with low miles: 83,000), and appears to be virtually rust free. One of the unique things about the car is a factory body kit and lowered (which I haven't seen anywhere...course also makes me skeptical if it really is from factory even though it looks quite original). The car drives and handles great, appears just to need some minor cosmetic work (not to crazy about interior with bulky cloth seats etc...maybe something to upgrade)?

Anyway I don't know a lot about these cars (although very familiar with the 2.0 I-4 DOHC engine and I'm doing as much internet research as possible). If anyone has any advise or anything special you think I should consider before purchasing this car, I would love to hear from you. Oh and probably a little harder to determine but maybe how much you think a vehicle like this would be worth?

Look forward to any advise or comments,

Thanks,

Matt

Attachments

·
Registered
4,526 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for reply and advise

Welcome to the BB.

That car has been discussed here on the BB and looks to be nice. Has been advertised for a while. Being so original, I'd keep it stock and not modify the interior. If you want to modify a Alfetta there are lots of semi-finished and project cars out there! The price on this one is very reasonable.

http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/alfa-romeo-cars-sale-wanted/173554-beautiful-alfetta-sale-now.html
Thanks for reply and the link. I was a little surprised that the car has been discussed on here. I definitely agree with keeping the car stock and original (I really appreciate a classic vehicle in an un-molested state like this one). Maybe the best option is to just get the seats re-upholstered. The dash has some cracks in it so was thinking about one of those aftermarket dash caps or something? Anyhow, I have an appointment set up with a mechanic (Alfaman / Jim Cestarollo in Novato) for a buyers inspection. Assuming he doesn't find anything major with it, I am planning on getting the car (thinking about doing a Carfax report too just for added peace of mind).
It really seems like a great original car, and a descent price. I think I am being a little hesitant and cautious because it's been advertised for a while and hard not to get that "is it too good to be true" feeling when faced the "good deal" (unfortunately there are so many scams out there, it's hard not to be questioning and cautious). However, the owner seems very honest and forthcoming and my instincts tell me that I should go for it. Thanks again for the reply, looking forward to learning more about this car and enjoying it.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Hi MattJ,

This Alfetta Velocissima seems to be in nice condition and well cared for. To add to what racingswim has said, it is a very rare special edition. Its value is in equal parts its condition and its originality . Ideally the buyer would want the car as is, or only make modifications that could be reversed on resale (what fun is that?). Much to like about this Alfetta, but could you accept her as she is? That was a major consideration in my interest. Beautiful car none the less.

Don't really know a lot about this model but speaking of originality, it looks like it has headers? Also the air box doesn't look quite right, like it came off of an early 70s Alfa. Certainly not the style snorkel that is on the standard Alfetta (US SPICA versions). There is also the air scoop on the right side of the hood. Is that faux or did it somehow mate to a different style air box? Euro taillights standard? Wouldn't think so.

Looks very nice. At 2000+ miles away, the price seems quite reasonable, especially considering the rarity of this model.

Good luck.

·
Premium Member
1,546 Posts
I know this car and the guy selling it. We were on the phone together several times discussing the car. As far as Alfettas go, this is as good an example you will find without getting a trailer queen for over 10g's. And it is far from a rust bucket.

It was one of about 5 good alfettas for sale within the last year. His price was good for the car, and at the time, he was firm on the price. My estimate is 5500$. You bring cash and might do better.

It is a 79 which makes getting parts a little easier. And it comes with those great rims!

Good luck!

·
Premium Member
2,078 Posts
Matt, in what state are you planning on registering this car?? As it appears from the photos - it's going to be tricky keeping it in California. It does have headers, no air-rail, no exhaust-to-airbox crossover tube, so that's just the beginning of your smog test woes. The fake twin NACA ducts on the hood are really unfortunate, I'd ask how they were applied and look into removing them ASAP. Still, the price is more than fair, and if you're going to get a smog-equipped Alfetta - the '78-79's are the best years. Good luck and welcome to the BB!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone for the feedback and advise for this car. I certainly don't expect a perfectly restored classic for the price. I do appreciate the originality of the car and would keep all improvements in line with keeping her that way. Maybe seats could be re-upholstered? Does anyone know if there were any other seat options for this era Alfetta? The dash has some cracks in it, a simple fix might be one of those custom fitted dash caps (any other ideas)? I was wondering what Dragline and stalfa were talking about with the fake hood scoop...I closely reviewed my pictures and see that it was definitely removed with no damage to the hood which is good. I live in the Seattle area (although work in S.F. Bay area part of year) and was eventually planning on registering it up there, of course smog is still required there. The seller does have a valid smog certificate showing that the car passed with flying colors so it appears that all smog issues were sorted out. Does anyone have any more info on what the stock airbox is for this vehicle? Think it would be best to replace it with original if possible. I am having a buyers inspection with Alfa Mechanic (Alfaman) Jim Cestorollo. Assuming he doesn't find anything terribly wrong I am planning on purchasing the car. Haven't run the VIN through a Carfax yet but planning to just for extra peace of mind. Thanks again for all the feedback, looking forward to entering back into the Alfa world again. :) Matt

·
But Mad North-Northwest
11,624 Posts
The seller does have a valid smog certificate showing that the car passed with flying colors so it appears that all smog issues were sorted out
Make ABSOLUTELY sure of this. SPICA cars can be a real pain in the butt come smog time, and if you're missing bits of the original emissions gear you can fail the visual. It is not unknown for sellers to get a less-than-honest smog certificate (happened to me on my old Triumph. Hoo-boy.)

You're going the right route by getting it checked out by a pro.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks everyone for the feedback and advise for this car. I certainly don't expect a perfectly restored classic for the price. I do appreciate the originality of the car and would keep all improvements in line with keeping her that way. Maybe seats could be re-upholstered? Does anyone know if there were any other seat options for this era Alfetta? The dash has some cracks in it, a simple fix might be one of those custom fitted dash caps (any other ideas)? I was wondering what Dragline and stalfa were talking about with the fake hood scoop...I closely reviewed my pictures and see that it was definitely removed with no damage to the hood which is good. I live in the Seattle area (although work in S.F. Bay area part of year) and was eventually planning on registering it up there, of course smog is still required there. The seller does have a valid smog certificate showing that the car passed with flying colors so it appears that all smog issues were sorted out. Does anyone have any more info on what the stock airbox is for this vehicle? Think it would be best to replace it with original if possible. I am having a buyers inspection with Alfa Mechanic (Alfaman) Jim Cestorollo. Assuming he doesn't find anything terribly wrong I am planning on purchasing the car. Haven't run the VIN through a Carfax yet but planning to just for extra peace of mind. Thanks again for all the feedback, looking forward to entering back into the Alfa world again. :) Matt

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Gubi,
Thanks, I just talked to Jim (Alfa Mechanic). He did some work previously getting car tuned up for smog but I do want to make sure the smog cert. is legit. It looks like the the cross over tubes from exhaust manifold are missing. I guess it is common that people put these on for the smog inspection and then take them off to improve performance (maybe they're in the trunk:)? I think I'll feel good with a clean bill of health from a professional mechanic...well worth the money I think. I also spoke to him about air box. It isn't the original Alfetta air box but he tells me it is exactly the same internally (so just cosmetically different). I guess the original Alfetta air boxes are harder to come by so guess I will live with this one for now and probably keep my eyes open for one down the road. Thanks again for the feedback.

Matt

·
Premium Member
906 Posts
The correct Alfetta airbox is identical to the one on your car except for the front cover.The airbox in the Velocissima is from a 72/73/74 Spica-equipped Alfa.The front cover for an Alfetta airbox has a built-in "snorkel" attachment for the cross over hose that runs from the exhaust manifold to the airbox. Unless you retrofit the original exhaust manifold,there's no point in installing the correct Alfetta front airbox cover. The original U.S. exhaust manifold will cost you HP-you don't want it on the car unless you have to have it for emissions/inspection purposes. As far as the seats are concerned,Alfetta coupes were available with either vinyl(Alfatex), leather or fabric seat materials. The Velocissima was made in small numbers(did somebody say 150?).It doesn't have any mechanical differences from the standard Alfetta coupe. There were 3 distinct Alfetta coupe special editions(Velocissima,Mille Miglia and Mario Andretti).I don't think any of them is worth more than a comparable Alfetta coupe UNLESS you keep it original.That said, I have installed late-model GTV6(84/85/86) seats in several of my Alfettas. They bolt right in-no problems.They are more attractive and offer better support then the Alfetta seats.

·
Premium Member
2,078 Posts
Did he mention the air rail? I know Jim well, he's great, but you really want to be sure everything is okay, otherwise you're in a world of future pain (it's the reason I finally sought out and settled on a '75 Alfetta - no smog!). Carfax is pretty useless on old Alfas - I wouldn't bother.
The airbox is fine - it's really just the clip on lid portion that it's missing which has some air tube/crossover vent/oil vapour lines - all important for the visual inspection portion of the smog check. *EDIT* I see Jim Tyson beat me to this but here in CA it should be totally stock unless you like extra work...

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
. . . I do appreciate the originality of the car and would keep all improvements in line with keeping her that way. Maybe seats could be re-upholstered? . . .
The originals are in good shape, you just don't care for the style, is that it? If you have some storage, might be best to put the originals away for safe keeping and buy some GTV6 seats as Jim suggests. If the style suits but they are worn, then sure, reupholster.

. . . I was wondering what Dragline and stalfa were talking about with the fake hood scoop...I closely reviewed my pictures and see that it was definitely removed with no damage to the hood which is good. . .
First picture here.
Alfa_Romeo_open_hood - closeup.jpg

Jeff identified them (them? apparently there is another picture of the left side of the hood showing a matched pair) as "fake twin NACA ducts". Sounds as though they have already been removed.

Good luck with the purchase.

Edit: Ah, NACA ducts. Thought it in reference to a commercial product, not a generic term. I will not mention my lack of knowledge of this with my aeronautical engineering coworkers. Would be quite embarrassing.:eek:
Let's just keep it our secret.

·
Registered
652 Posts
MattJ

I'm in Australia so my perspective may be a little different than you guys but if you have found a relative rust free car then place that above any mechanical work that is required. Smokey engines and worn syncros are an easy fix compared to a rotten sill or rusty engine bay.

Please don't take offense but the first thing I would do is get rid of that hideous body kit. Bugger the originality that kit is ruining an otherwise beautiful car. Other than that it looks like a very tidy car so buy buy buy.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
. . . Please don't take offense but the first thing I would do is get rid of that hideous body kit. Bugger the originality that kit is ruining an otherwise beautiful car. Other than that it looks like a very tidy car so buy buy buy.
And therein lies the rub: If you don't like the looks, then don't buy this one. There are other non-Velocissima models available (not readily, granted). You are paying a premium (albeit small) for this model (and the wheels;)). That (the premium) and the small production numbers make this a car that should remain original (or easily converted back to original). There are other Alfettas out there to be customized at will.
This might be one reason why it has been for sale for a while. Many like the cleaner lines of the base model (or better yet the non-NA version). I too wasn't keen on the looks at first but am warming up to them. Maybe if you don't pull the trigger . . . :D

·
Registered
652 Posts
Good points dragline but I would argue if the body is good its worth paying a premium for even if you need a respray after you remove the body kit. As for the rarity I'm not sentimental so personally I wouldn't have an issue with altering it. Every one is indeed different.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hello all,
Well I am getting closer...just talked to the Mechanic and he will be going though it this afternoon. As long as he doesn't find anything horrific I think I will "pull the trigger!" I made sure that he is especially thorough in checking out smog system to make sure it is legit (don't want to worry about a headache like that down the road). I will meet with him tomorrow to go through the report (with the car there) so I feel confident that I will at least be aware of what I'm getting into (all the feedback here has certainly helped too).
I agree with Dragline: "If you don't like the looks, then don't buy this one. There are other non-Velocissima models available (not readily, granted)."
Well I have to admit I don't generally care for body kits...but I have warmed up to this one and actually like the way it looks. And I do appreciate the rarity of this model so no...I will not be pulling off body kit! I will have to think about the seats...they at least need a re-upholster, but I'm really not crazy about them. I think changing them out with a later model GTV6 would be a nice upgrade. But yes I would certainly garage the originals to keep the car a complete original package. Think I will even keep the stock Blaupunkt stereo cassette (with the cheesy separate equalizer which I assume is original...it is a Blaupunkt as well).
OK I will keep everyone posted when (OK I guess still if) I pull the trigger (I better watch Dragline) :) Thanks again everyone for your helpful feedback!

Cheers,

Matt

1 - 20 of 28 Posts