Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently negotiated the purchase price on an Alfa sight unseen.

I asked the seller for the following information:

1. Picture of the VIN plate;
2. Copy of the title front and back;
3. Wiring instructions for the money.

I've bought or sold four vehicles on eBay, and this is how I've always done it. First the VIN number allows title search and confirmation of the vehicle's identity. Second, the VIN number had better match the number on the title, and the title better reflect the seller owns it, and that there are no liens. Finally, as for wiring instructions... I can wire for free and you get the money in your account the same day.

My seller is a little gun shy, because apparently he's *almost* been the victim of an online scam through someone on the AlfaBB. It's been three days now, and none of the foregoing information is forthcoming.

Am I being unreasonable? As I said, I have *always* done it this way, and this is the first time I've had someone say they won't provide this basic information. Seems strange, since you can't even list a vehicle on eBay without a VIN number. I don't doubt the fellow's honesty, he's active in AROC and attended the national convention, but I just can't see wiring a chunk of change without reviewing this first.

Your thoughts or comments?

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
Did the seller say he wouldn't provide "any" of the info you requested? If so, I'd be very leery. Your request seems perfectly reasonable to me. However, if the seller would rather take payment other than direct wire then you should be open to an alternative. Even though it's safe for him to do so, he may not want to give you his account #. Hopefully you have also had an independent PPI already.

It would be interesting to hear the seller's story of "almost" having "been the victim of an online scam through someone on the AlfaBB." If true, hopefully Simon was alerted to the situation (at the very least).

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,049 Posts
JK, they are not unreasonable requests but in light of the fellow's recent close encounter with ID theft and the scepter of ID theft in general, he's just being (quite) a bit cautions. I know the fellow (met at convention and had dinner) and he's a fine guy and genuine. Vouched the same for you to him on telecon yesterday (an my message to you). He just wanted to ensure he was dealing with a real person on not another ID theft front. And in a round about way was protecting your ID from theft also if someone had tapped your ID.

My suggestion is to get on with the deal if the price and car is right and not make an international incident out of this.

Mark, I do not think his recent ID theft near-miss related to a car. I sold a fine piano and some other stuff a few years ago and got several offers for me to send money for shipping, etc. or whatever to Nigeria, etc.. One was in Florida and even sent me a bogus check from a good Florida company up front. You've gotta protect yourself both ways.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
JK, they are not unreasonable requests but in light of the fellow's recent close encounter with ID theft and the scepter of ID theft in general, he's just being (quite) a bit cautions. I know the fellow (met at convention and had dinner) and he's a fine guy and genuine. Vouched the same for you to him on telecon yesterday (an my message to you). He just wanted to ensure he was dealing with a real person on not another ID theft front. And in a round about way was protecting your ID from theft also if someone had tapped your ID.

My suggestion is to get on with the deal if the price and car is right and not make an international incident out of this.

Mark, I do not think his recent ID theft near-miss related to a car. I sold a fine piano and some other stuff a few years ago and got several offers for me to send money for shipping, etc. or whatever to Nigeria, etc.. One was in Florida and even sent me a bogus check from a good Florida company up front. You've gotta protect yourself both ways.
Bruce, I've sold dozens of items on eBay and Craigslist and the Nigerian scam artists always come out of the woodwork, offering to send a cashier's check for more than the amount, etc. But honestly, you park your car on the street, and the license plate and VIN number are there for any passerby to see. You write a check to a merchant, and eight people are going to see an account number and routing number.

I've emailed the gentleman several times. Last one said "ball is in your court." Not making an incident, I was just surprised to be informed that "no one" had *ever* asked for VIN and title information before paying for a vehicle. I do.

I may have been mistaken, but I thought the ID theft attempt was related to another Alfa. He says his wife is a lawyer, as am I. Told him to check my website, and the State Bar of Texas. That was four days ago. Oh well...

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,049 Posts
Argumentative Counsellor. Overruled. Make the deal. He's ready. Enjoy the car. If you don't, at that price, I might! A/C is sounding kinda nice right now. The clock is ticking . . . ;)

·
Registered
4,357 Posts
If you're unsure about a car that's this close, the best thing to do is spend the few hundred extra to fly down and look at it for yourself. You can do a one-day turn around---fly down, look at it, buy it (or not), do a title transfer, make shipping arrangements, and be back in Austin that night. Do it on a weekend and you can drive it back yourself. Whether you buy the car or not, it's money well spent either way.

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,049 Posts
And visit the Louisville Slugger bat factory and hit a few bourbon distilleries. I'm already running low on that 18 year old bourbon. Are you taking any requests? Roadtrip!!!

Like the famous Yoda said, "Do or do not, there is no try." :confused:

Attachments

·
Registered
4,357 Posts
[Like the famous Yoda said, "Do or do not, there is no try."
And "what doesn't kill you, will make you stronger---Grasshopper". :)

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Bruce, I may have to ask you to buy it for me. Broker a deal and I'll include a "finder's fee" even though I found it. Nope, phone calls and emails are not answered or returned.

Strangely, this is the second time in a month that something like this has happened to me. I was making an offer on some land near Dripping Springs when the owner decided he didn't like me. Wouldn't sign a contract offering his asking price.

So either I'm encountering reluctant sellers, or I just bring the best out in everybody!

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,049 Posts
You are on. He's watching a tape of the Hungarian F1 race and will call you thereafter. He's been getting your communications. He's a really nice guy with some 14 Alfas between him, and HIS wife's!! He is working on a written disclosure list now. I offered to fly up and drive it back until I found out the A/C was non-op. Did that recently, 8 days in fact, and lived to tell about it. It's a nice car, he took a first in the autocross. Have a beer, or two, or seven. I'd suggest you delete this thread, Yoda recommended it.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You are on. He's watching a tape of the Hungarian F1 race and will call you thereafter. He's been getting your communications. He's a really nice guy with some 14 Alfas between him, and HIS wife's!! He is working on a written disclosure list now. I offered to fly up and drive it back until I found out the A/C was non-op. Did that recently, 8 days in fact, and lived to tell about it. It's a nice car, he took a first in the autocross. Have a beer, or two, or seven. I'd suggest you delete this thread, Yoda recommended it.
The first in the autocross was a HUGE plus for this car. The non-operative AC was a HUGE minus for driving the car back from KY. That's why I sent you a message about getting some mechanical help. Cannot see doing 1,000 miles in August with no AC.

I know he owns a lot of Alfas, so I didn't figure there was some sort of emotional attachment in the picture. Anyway, you've been a good friend, a great Alfista, and a wise counsel as always. Thanks.

P.S. I've already bought some incredible 164 Speedline wheels for this car that were originally on the Callaway GTV6 I planned to buy in Florida a while back, before my heart attack. Great story. I was thinking, "OK, I've got wheels... I just need a GTV6 to put them on!"

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
Seems like there is some code speak going on here. Without spilling any beans, I wanted to chime in that the people you are considering your purchase from are well respected members of our local Alfa community. While I don't know the car, I can attest that these are honest, good quality people. Bruce not so bad either!:D

Best Regards,
John M

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,049 Posts
We know that John! We know that. I'm just spreading the word to all concerned. And you are a peach also! Love you guys, B

PS: just ask Enrique about that "good guy" status lately . . .

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Back on track Bruce. 18 year old bourbon forthcoming. Better show up at Coffee & Cars, or we may drink it in your absence. ;)

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,049 Posts
Should I bring the Wal*Mart water That's the only water the guy said to trickle in to "open it up". NEVER tap water or tap water cubes. Sure doesn't seem like bourbon drinking weather though. 111.2 out here on my rock pile today. Perhaps this fall around a bonfire??

Glad you are on track again JK. Good car and good guys just temporarily skidding. I actually thought I;d have to drag out my new Louisville Slugger "Alfas in the Bluegrass" with Alfa logo 34" commemorative bat and give it some exercise.

Give my best regards to the Great Guys from KARS. They are fine gents, and ladies. It's an honor to have been adopted by Gregg but I warned him I eat, and drink, a lot. :)

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I am not much of a bourbon drinker. Usually enjoy gin 9 months out of the year, then switch to single malt scotch for the brief Austin cool spell other parts of the country call "winter." ;) Looks like there's an Elijah Craig single barrel 18 year available locally. Let me know if there's a specific label you prefer! And thanks again. Spoke with seller today and we're all good, even if Chase did freeze my accounts and locked me out (again). Happens every time I wire money, even if I call ahead to warn them.

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,049 Posts
No bourbon needed JK. Just glad for you both that you'all closed the deal. Good folks deserve good outcomes. And did you know that Elija Craig is one of 6 Heaven Hills proprietary labels? We sampled that one, and a 10 year blend, at the distillery tour that Gregg kindly arranged for the last day of the Pre-tour. Now Gregg got me hooked on that smooth stuff. Glad for your purchase, now I may need to find one if this awesome heat keeps up. Would like to drive something other than the boat hauler.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well you know when you buy sight unseen, there's always the risk of waking up with a 300 pound hirsute woman the next morning. Then again, sometimes, you get lucky.

I had to leave C&C early yesterday to meet my transport carrier, and here's what we rolled off...

Proud new owner of this incredible '84 GTV6, recent winner of the Class E Autocross at Alfas in the Bluegrass at Lexington. Just a joy. Few little things to tweak or iron out (aren't there always?), but just a total gas to drive.

P.S. I bought Dante's 164 Speedline's that came from Joe Garcia's Callaway... can't wait to see her in the new rims! I'll post more pictures later.

THANK YOU BRUCE. YOUR'RE A GREAT FRIEND AND A GREAT ALFISTA! GRACIE!!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts