Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

Today @Caxny and I are going to drive a few hours and pick this car up: http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/alfa-romeo-cars-sale-wanted/651930-1988-milano-verde-ca.html

We thought we'd take a chance and see if we can drive it back (~230 miles). If not, we will rent a uhaul, but we are hoping for a successful adventure. Seller is selling it for his family and he last drove it around the block in summer 2015, but isn't sure how much its been driven since. Our plan is to:

- Siphon as much old gas out as we can and replace with new
- Change spark plugs
- Check and top up all vital fluids
- Swap battery for a new one
- Cross our fingers and fire it up

I don't really know these cars, but if you have any tips or watch-outs, please let us know. We are bringing a ton of tools, ramps, jacks, fuses, fluids, etc. in the hopes we don't need what we bring.

Follow me on instagram at alfaddiction if you want to follow along - hope to post photos and maybe video of the first startup.

·
Premium Member
477 Posts
Make sure the BRAKES are up for a 230 mile run before you get very far...

Sounds like a grand adventure!! :)

·
Registered
124 Posts
And make sure the timing belt is reasonably fresh! If the seller doesn't have and record of the last change, i'd probably get the uhaul.

Sent from my LG-SP200 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
65 Posts
I only recently got my 1989 Spider Quad up and running after sat since 2014. Inspect all your hoses and lines - I had dry rot in a number of fuel hoses and could have ended up in a ball of flames. Fuel tank was leaking at a couple of filler gaskets. Radiator hoses and antifreeze mix. My fuel system was completely gummed up. (Fuel system cleaner) Plug wires were rotted and erratic. Check your belts - extras? Check tires for dry rot if you plan on better than 30 mph. I got lucky as I moved the car about every 6 months and drove it around the block (that was it). I am not a professional mechanic and don't play one on TV. Just an old Navy Steam Engineer (1200psi).

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
The voice of gloom and doom . . .

. . . chimes in with "Change the timing belt first!!!".

So, it seems it was last driven in '15. When was the timing belt changed last? Do you know for sure?
What does it look like (cracking/dry/oily/etc)?

Frankly, at the risk of sounding like a skipping record(or a skipped belt?), do not risk it if there is the least amount of doubt.

A failed belt will result in thousands of dollars of damage and likely turn your beautiful find into a parts car.

Is it worth the chance? Do you feel lucky ? . . . . Well, do ya? (ala Clint)

Adventures are great . . . Russian roulette not so much. Uhaul sounds like the way to go.

Good luck and enjoy the Milano experience. :)

·
Premium Member
15,420 Posts
Once you get that Verde running to your satisfaction, with the required new parts, ie, timing belt, etc, you are going to have a ton of fun. Ours isn't even a Verde, but it is fun to drive. Not as a drag racer, lol, but so tossable in the curves, with the engine singing...

·
Premium Member
13,060 Posts
Well that and the fact it had no brakes at all. 🙂
I spent countless hours and dollars on the ABS brakes of my Verdes. If I had to do it again I would swap out the ABS for conventional brakes. It is a lot of work in the short term but it will pay off in the long term.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Why are no photos posted of this alleged rescue yet!? Steal of the decade on a Milano Verde...pics pics pics! You have TONS of money left over now to do proper maintenance so that's the good news. Go for it!
Mostly because it was 4 hours plus of driving there, 4 hours back and the evening ended around midnight having to physically do a clean and jerk to maneuver the uhaul trailer into a tight parking space. :)

Attached is a quickie showing it aboard the trailer. Still very tired...

I'm posting more pics to Instagram acocunt name 'alfaddiction' if you want to follow there.

Attachments

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Why are no photos posted of this alleged rescue yet!? Steal of the decade on a Milano Verde...pics pics pics! You have TONS of money left over now to do proper maintenance so that's the good news. Go for it!
Just posted a startup video to Instagram. It gave a big pop and puff out the plenum! Not sure how to share it here.

Check it out at username alfaddiction.

·
Premium Member
15,420 Posts
Hah, you stepped on the throttle while trying to start the car. Milanos and GTV6s do this if you do. The instructions are that you start the car with your foot off the throttle, always, then after it starts running, you can use the throttle. Our Milano starts instantly when the key is turned, throttle off. It does pop/backfire if one steps on the throttle first while cranking.

Yeah, it did this once with both the Milano and the 86 GTV6. Learned the hard way, lol.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hah, you stepped on the throttle while trying to start the car. Milanos and GTV6s do this if you do. The instructions are that you start the car with your foot off the throttle, always, then after it starts running, you can use the throttle. Our Milano starts instantly when the key is turned, throttle off. It does pop/backfire if one steps on the throttle first while cranking.

Yeah, it did this once with both the Milano and the 86 GTV6. Learned the hard way, lol.
Ok, I'll blame @Caxny then - I was just filming! And he is supposed to be the Alfa guy....
@Del would love your response on our brake thread. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
15,420 Posts
Yup, it did backfire. Don't ever put your foot on the throttle when starting from cold. Some times you can use the throttle when starting a hot engine, but I usually don't (it just cranks a little longer). When the airbox popped up that one time in our Milano, it put a very small bump in the middle of the hood, grrr. At least no one sees it except me of course.

Putting in the better 5V supply chip in the ARC electronics, as described in the BB, does fix the "Christmas lights" that the unmodified unit always ends up with. Sure did with ours. Thanks, Tom for that fix.

www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/milano-75-1985-1993/69476-real-fix-arc-blinking-lights.html

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The ARC lights settled down once we got it running right and drove it a bit. The only light on is the ABS light, which is accurate. We have good braking, but the ABS is currently non functional. The pump is working, everything is making the correct noises, but doesn't work. Thoughts?

Also, is the timing belt reasonably doable as a DIY?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts