Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

· Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

What's the best approach to replacing the transmission support bush and the donut prop coupling in terms of raising the car? Raise the front or the back or one side? Which side if that? Is it even possible without a lift?

Many thanks
Martin

· Registered
536 Posts
yes, gives you more space for handling.

For the Donut you will have to remove the front part of the prop shaft. and best is to put a hydraulick jack unter the gearbox so you can move it a few inches up and down, makes life easier with the bolts.

· But Mad North-Northwest
14,258 Posts
For donut it's not that bad of a job with the car on four jack stands. Do not take off the strap on the new giubo until after install.

If you have access to an air hammer or can borrow one there's an easy way to R&R the transmission bushing. Disconnect all the exhaust hangers and let the exhaust hang to the rear. Then take off the transmission support plate nuts and let the transmission hang down. Heat the metal surrounding the bushing with a propane torch for a bit. Then put the tip of the air hammer chisel on the outer metal ring of the bushing and hammer away. Pops it right out.

For replacement, freeze the new bushing nice and cold. Then again heat the aluminum housing with a torch, put the bushing in place, and hammer it in with a big hammer. Make sure it is oriented properly, there is an up and down.

There have been reports of out-of-spec new bushings being too large and cracking the housing, so I'd suggest measuring your new part vs. the old one.

2,563 Posts
I jacked my duetto from the rear.
The rear transmission mount wasn't much fun but I suffered through it underneath the car.
I used a 38MM socket with a small gear puller as a press.
Soaked the old one down with penetrating oil 24 hours prior.
I used some axle grease to assist the new mount sliding in.
Best of luck with your project!
Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Bumper

Automotive tire Rim Vehicle brake Font Automotive wheel system

· Registered
5,008 Posts
That's a 1-1/2" pipe cap. As you can see in 6alfas photo, find the center of it and drill point slightly for the center bolt of the puller.

Reactions: alphil

· Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well it's up on stands and before I get stuck in I have a couple more questions -
1. The workshop manual refers to a tool A.2.0124 to help remove the donut - anyone any ideas what this is or what it looks like? Alternatives?
2. Before I remove the crossmember under the propshaft just forward of the intermediate bearing, when I do so is anything likely to move? Just thinking of safety...
Thanks all!

· Premium Member
1,356 Posts
Here's Alfas' donut tool A2.0124. Here's a solution, hose clamps. As mentioned above, don't remove the "new" Guibo/donut strap until it's installed. If the donut has no strap, use the hose clamps and tighten until it lines up and slides onto the 3 bolts of the trans output fork.

Attachments

· Registered
5,008 Posts
When you remove the four bolts supporting the transmission mount, it will drop down a bit, but that will work to your advantage when you have to go after the mount bushing. It gives you more space from the floor pan on the passenger side, which you will need.

Reactions: ellismp

· Registered
2,353 Posts
Here's Alfas' donut tool A2.0124. Here's a solution, hose clamps. As mentioned above, don't remove the "new" Guibo/donut strap until it's installed. If the donut has no strap, use the hose clamps and tighten until it lines up and slides onto the 3 bolts of the trans output fork.
You can also use the “heavy duty” guibo (really a BMW one I think) sold by several sellers that doesn’t require the strap. It’s made of a denser rubber and doesn’t “squish .” It’s what I run on my spider.

· Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well it's off. Many thanks for all the advice. Ended up removing the entire propshaft as couldn't separate it. The guibo looks alright on the face of it but on closer inspection, definitely not. The tranny bush is a mess. Will prob do centre bearing and support while off.
Automotive tire Blue Motor vehicle Wood Bicycle part

Water Tire Automotive tire Tread Road surface

Textile Wood Sleeve Auto part Circle

· Registered
5,008 Posts
You don't have to struggle getting that transmission mount out of there, just cut the bottom of the OD shell with a hacksaw, it will relax and you can easily tap it out. Then clean up the hole finish with steel wool or a fine scotchbrite pad.

· Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks - looked at all the options for that and have invested in a couple of aluminium tubes and flat plates to make a pull/push tool (I already have threaded rods).
Now investigating how to remove the centre bearing. Shop manual says use a drift so sounds like not too bad a job. Top hat is fine but will change rubber bush etc.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts