Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi
I am new to this and this is my first post on this great website.
I am hoping that someone out there can help with what I think is a fuel injection problem.

The car starts up hot or cold with no problem but will only run for about 5 mins and then the engine stops. Before the engine stops, you seem to get a squealing noise coming from the fuel pump so first of all I investigated the fuel pump and fuel lines which were all fine apart from the return to the tank which seems to have a blockage. So, what I done as an experiment is ran a hose from the fuel regulator direct into the tank filler neck and then the engine runs fine. I am wondering therefore is there any kind of valve inside the tank whch opens and closes to release pressure? The car is fitted with a standard Bosch injection system and is a UK spec car.
The car hadn't run for approx. 4 yrs up until 6 weeks ago but I did flush the system through before starting.
Any advice greatly appreciated, thanks, Ian

·
Registered
324 Posts
there are both inward and outward vent valves in the tank, you need to check both, a stuck inward vent valve will cause the tank to vacum, the fuel pump wont cope with that. try running the car with the fuel cap off and the original regulator hose attached. if it runs ok, then you have a defective inward venting.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for that info, unfortunately it will be a few weeks now before I will be able to test that as the car is currently undergoing a restoration. But before everything was stripped off I wanted to overcome all the mechanical gremlins (siezed clutch, broken fuel pump and a few electrical issues) The car is due to go into the Paint Shop in the next couple of days and I hope to have it back this time next week in gleaming NERO MET ready for me to rebuild it.
It has been 20 years since I last owned my first Alfa which was a 2 litre gtv and can't wait to get the gtv6 on the road...........

·
Registered
324 Posts
Thanks for that info, unfortunately it will be a few weeks now before I will be able to test that as the car is currently undergoing a restoration. But before everything was stripped off I wanted to overcome all the mechanical gremlins (siezed clutch, broken fuel pump and a few electrical issues) The car is due to go into the Paint Shop in the next couple of days and I hope to have it back this time next week in gleaming NERO MET ready for me to rebuild it.
It has been 20 years since I last owned my first Alfa which was a 2 litre gtv and can't wait to get the gtv6 on the road...........
hey good for you, wish you luck with it, my gtv6 is also nero grey an im uk based too, its an 83.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
there are both inward and outward vent valves in the tank, you need to check both, a stuck inward vent valve will cause the tank to vacum, the fuel pump wont cope with that. try running the car with the fuel cap off and the original regulator hose attached. if it runs ok, then you have a defective inward venting.
Hi, as you suggested I have tried to run the car today with the fuel cap off and the original regular hose attached to the return. It appears to be putting the fuel pump under pressure again and the engine cuts out, so it would seem that the valve on the return side to the tank must be stuck. Can anyone help as to where this valve is situated/how do you get to it and repair or replace it?
A diagram would be of great help......... many thanks
Ian

1 - 5 of 5 Posts