Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Alfa affictionados. I am just recently considering getting a GTV 2000 and have a question for you. I have typically bought german cars and the ones I hav or are considering getting are all considerably heavier than the 2300 Lb GTV. I am intrigued by the light and small displacement (especially with gas prices how they are) and still good performance. I have really taken a likeing to this car and it's beautiful lines.

So here is my question. Does the lightness of the automobile sacrifice the structural integrity? Should I be concerned with the car being flexible? Assuming I get one that is not abused or rusted are there any things I should consider about the rigidity of the structure. I have done considerable internet research and see there is a great amount of performance enhancing aftermarket products but haven't seen any discussions about the strength of the structure.

Appreciate your feedback and opinions on this topic.
Thank you

Brice

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
bmcb, or did you mean GT 2000 - which would be the Alfetta sedan? If so, you're in the correct place.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Ill just chime in here with some experience of seeing many crashed alfetta's and having my own personal concerns.
The cars in there day where very well designed with regard to crash integrity. In fact the alfetta was one of the first cars designed with cad.
I would suggest there biggest weakness is side impact and indeed I think they are quiet unsafe in this regard (sliding sideways into a power pole for example). Some road legal intrusion bars Incorporated into a roll cage is a nice feeling if your going to punt the car along in a spirited manner.
The other concern I always have is the location of the fuel cell in the back corner of the car. The gtv6 is a huge improvement in this area and a boot mounted fuel cell would be worth considering.
I'm no engineer but thats just what I have come to consider over the years.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts