Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a 1976 Spider that I'm interested in purchasing. Does anyone have advice they can offer on what to look for?
Thanks a lot in advance.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Does it run and drive? Or, is it a project car?

·
Registered
'84 Spider Veloce
506 Posts
Looks pretty nice. Pic 112 appears to show bondo on the sill, which is the structural heart of the car and a potential red flag. Have you owned an Alfa before, or know someone who has? Your local AROC chapter can refer you for a qualified pre-purchase inspection.

David OD
Laguna CA

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Would the bondo be indicative of rust? What could I ask the seller to clarify?

this would be my first Alfa, and I don’t know anyone who owns one. I’ll be sure to contact my local AROC. Thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
For 10k you are in the ball park if the dive train is in great shape. Have a compression test and does second gear shifts smoothly?

Ken Smith

·
Registered
431 Posts
The sills look "wobbly" , if there is bondo (take a fridge magnet, not a powerful one) then walk away, the colour and stripes will put most people off and you are looking at good money for a respray, ask for restoration pictures, if none.......also get them to jack it up on the jacking points one at a time, don't do it your self, and check the door gaps as they do, any movement and the sills are past their sell by, if they refuse to jack it up then walk away. Just noticed there is overspray and drips so I wouldn't even bother going to see it

·
Registered
78 Alfa Spider
328 Posts
I would not walk away, I would run. For 10K, a 76 Spider should be in great condition. This one has rust, and some rot. Jack points look shaky. Floor pans will need replacing. Front and rear suspension need to be done. SPICA has been converted to carbs, which isn't really a deal killer, but a little harder to care for.....You can tell how a car has been cared for, by the attention to detail. Look at picture 55. The gauges are crooked. In my opinion, this car has been made to look good. To look "sporty" and eye catching, but should be avoided. There are a lot of other examples out there in better condition for less.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks everyone for all the advice. Seems like I'm gonna pass on this one in the end due to the problems you've pointed out. I'll keep my eyes peeled for one with fewer issues.

·
Registered
78 Alfa Spider
328 Posts
If you are serious about buying an Alfa, buy Pat Bradens book Alfa Romeo Owners Bible. Good info on Alfa's, plus he has a chapter on what to look for when buying an Alfa. It's a great reference guide.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts