Alfa Romeo Forums banner

Advice on repairing brazed joints on trailing arms?

2K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  Chris1750 
#1 ·
I am FINALLY halfway done with my trailing arm bushing replacement (ask me for tips and pitfalls if you're contemplating this job). So far, so good, except I managed to slightly damage one of the trailing arm to bushing carrying tube brazed joints in an early unadvised attempt to press the old bushings out without proper support. I deformed the trailing arm, pulling it away from the bushing carrier by about 1/8th of the circumference.

I've never brazed (have soldered and welded). Can anyone give me advice on how to repair the damage i've done, or if its really necessary?

Discussion starter · #3 ·
I'm In CT. I don't see any reason it can't be repaired... plus I have a lot of hours (and one new bearing) into the arm.

Discussion starter · #5 ·
They are so lousy (cell phone)... I'll go with my real camera this weekend.

From my web research it seems that mild steel is most often brazed with flux and brass (or other yellow metal) rod. If I heat the work up enough to braze the damaged area, will I melt out the existing filler metal?

Attachments

Discussion starter · #9 ·
I am on a schedule, I just keep adjusting it to suit reality....
After this little hitch I should be "wheels on the ground" promptly followed by "car towed to bodyshop" and then things will REALLY start happening. In the spirit of your comments, I decided to hand the rust repair (floors, spare tire well) and undercoating off to a body shop rather than crawl under my car with rattle cans and wire wheels.

Veep... I tried to press out the old bearings without properly supporting the trailing arm. Rookie mistake. I just couldn't accept that burning/hacksawing is the "right" way to do something. And PS I found that using a 1-1/2" hole saw on a drill press will get all 4 existing rubber's much more cleanly.

I wonder how you managed to get this damaged like this in the first place?
In the days I did this kind of job myself I burned out the rubber, and hacksawed the metal ring, after that you can push or hammer (if rusted) it out.

Discussion starter · #13 ·
Hey Keith - I'm in new haven. I think we've run into each other a few times - at precision automotive and then I stopped in your shop a few weekends ago to poke around.

I'll bring the trailing arm into your shop if I'm heading back that way.

Hey by the way do you have any recommendations for a body shop in CT? I'll be looking for a great but not concourse paint job at some point when i finish welding these floors.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.