Alfa Romeo Forums banner
41 - 47 of 47 Posts

·
Premium Member
120 Posts
I've done 4 over the last 47 years or so. 2 101 Spiders, Sunbeam Tiger, Saab 900 Cabrio. 2 Vinyl, 2 Robbins stayfast. All were for daily drivers. It is a finicky job, adjusting here and there over and over for millimeters. The worst part is refitting all the trim. Not a hard job but time consuming. I’d give myself a B+ For workmanship. Not bad for a driver. I’d want a professional installation for a show car or high dollar restoration. In complexity, I’d say the S2 is between the Tiger and the Saab. I’d also vote for the zip out rear window. Unzippered, the window lays flat when the top is down, which I think will make the window last longer, no bending or folding, fewer scratches, easier to replace just the window down the road. I’d also get a canvas over vinyl, looks a lot better and is easier to work with. IMHO, you dont save enough to justify the vinyl. The canvas tops fit better, I thought. There is an excellent top installation guide available on the board. It will be helpful in talking to installers, if you decide against DIY.

·
Premium Member
3,188 Posts
Hei, Is there anyone that have replaced the top home ? I am a mechanic and do everything on my cars, but have never done this ;-) reason asking is that I was told by one of the soft top sellers that this was not a DIY job
rgd Chris
Well, I have done some and there are some good write ups on the AlfaBB that detail everything.
Not the easiest top but not the hardest by far. The ones from Classic Alfa come with pre punched holes and I have found them to be accurate.

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
Here's an older thread on the zippered rear window:

·
Premium Member
3,188 Posts
Here's an older thread on the zippered rear window:

Well there you go. I forgot about EZ on tops.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Hi
You replaced it yourself ? I am thinking of doing it myself, but I asked one of the sellers and he sais that this was best left to the professionals and was a to big task for a novise... I think with some patience and time it will help getting it done ? ;-)
It was my first top replacement, but understand this. I also restored the whole car myself, including all new wiring, sheet metal welding, body work and paint. I also replaced all pistons and rings myself. It helps to have an understanding of many aspects of mechanical and non-mechanical work going into it. Much of that came from disassembling the Alfa.

·
Registered
1981 Spider - Daisy, 1976 Spider - Tex
98 Posts
Hei, Is there anyone that have replaced the top home ? I am a mechanic and do everything on my cars, but have never done this ;-) reason asking is that I was told by one of the soft top sellers that this was not a DIY job
rgd Chris
If I can do it - you can too. There is an instruction guide - let me know if you'd like it.
Ha Det!

·
Registered
148 Posts
I've replaced my 69 spider's top twice over the years. Took me two days to do it each time, but worked out well and I think the type 2 and later spider tops look a bit easier and you do have a guide available now, which I didn't.

41 - 47 of 47 Posts