Alfa Romeo Forums banner
21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
1981 Spider - Daisy, 1976 Spider - Tex
87 Posts
Hi
The photo is taken on a small mountain road who runs from Granvin via Espeland to Ulvik, this is going down to Ulvik , this is app 120 km east of Bergen. there are a lot of small nice roads like this around here ;:)
Here are 2 more from the same trip, one outside the hotel in Ulvik just meters from the sea, and the other is the old ferry quay Bruarvik overlooking the Hardangerfjord ;-) View attachment 1718089 View attachment 1718090
Fantastisk! We have relatives in Bergen and Ålesund (and Olso and Honningsvåg, and...). We've been through Geiranger fjord ....... but not in a Spider:). Ha det bra.
And, if I can change the top on a Spider, anyone can do it;)

·
Registered
210 Posts
I got mine from here…

It’s my first new top so I don’t have much comparison value. It went on easy enough, for a beginner. Super tight tho, curious if that means quality is low on crafting. I just figured it’s new and needs some summers to stretch.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Beautiful car. Once you get the new top installed, whenever you have the roof down take a big beach towel and roll it up and place it on the back window as you fold the top down. Old Alfa mechanic taught me the trick - window rolls around the towel rather than folding up and the plastic window won’t crease/crack.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Have your installer buy the top from Robbins ......... it will be just like the factory top.
Every top I have had has been Robbins ....... except for one, and I always regretted getting that one.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I got mine from here…

It’s my first new top so I don’t have much comparison value. It went on easy enough, for a beginner. Super tight tho, curious if that means quality is low on crafting. I just figured it’s new and needs some summers to stretch.
Hi
You replaced it yourself ? I am thinking of doing it myself, but I asked one of the sellers and he sais that this was best left to the professionals and was a to big task for a novise... I think with some patience and time it will help getting it done ? ;-)

·
Registered
🇮🇹 1973 Alfa Romeo Spider 1300 Junior
12 Posts
Our Alfa-Romeo was originally Ivory with a dark red vinyl interior. The Sicilian sun baked the interior and the top. Canvas top replacement lasted longer than the plastic window. Towel used when top retracted.
Has any Alfisti replaced the large plastic window with a smaller glass window? Is there a replacement top covering with glass window? 🥂

·
Premium Member
131 Posts
I ordered my top from Autoberry, and chose the German Sonnenland Canvas top, which is OEM material for the Spider. I had it installed at an upholstery shop that had installed many tops for the local Alfa Romeo dealer in the day. That particular Autoberry top is excellent. I also had a new rubber header gasket installed, as well as new side wires. As another post recommended, use a large beach towel rolled up and placed against the back window when the top is put down.

·
Registered
🇮🇹 1973 Alfa Romeo Spider 1300 Junior
12 Posts
🍷 Were OEM Alfa-Romeo Sonnenland canvas tops padded? Was the OEM Boot Cover also canvas? Appreciate the Autoberry recommendation.

·
Premium Member
2,664 Posts
🍷 Were OEM Alfa-Romeo Sonnenland canvas tops padded? Was the OEM Boot Cover also canvas? Appreciate the Autoberry recommendation.
All the ones I have seen were canvas. Not sure about the boot

·
Registered
36 Posts
Following this thread as I am in need of a new top as well. Researching I found Autoberry to have the best pricing on the original German canvas top ($449). Have not ordered yet, but will be shortly.
Looking at this thread, someone mentioned Lseat for the seats. So I looked them up. Their pricing is fantastic for leather seats ($349 set). Almost sounds to good to be true. Any comments about these seats? Quality of the leather, stitching??
Just wondering before I commit to them.
Thanks.

·
Premium Member
1971 Spider (USA) 1750 Spica
271 Posts
And I haven’t seen any mention of a source for the zip-out window. Do they exist?

·
Premium Member
131 Posts
I have not seen a new top offered with a zip-out window. A zipper could easily be installed by an automotive upholstery shop, preferably before the top is installed.

·
Premium Member
784 Posts
Mine has the zip-out window, unfortunately I do not know who makes it. It was on the car when I bought it.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Subscribing to this thread.. I believe my top is original and quite sturdy, but the vinyl windscreen was torn to shreds so it's likely going to need to be replaced. I like the idea of having a zippered removable screen with this in mind. I also ordered swatches from lseat and am eager to see the quality as I'm intending on redoing the door card skins to match the reupholstered seats.

·
Premium Member
1987 Spider Veloce
72 Posts
Yeah if anyone (ever) finds a source for zippered-window tops I'd love to hear it. Mine doesn't have A/C so that'd be very nice to have!

·
Registered
323 Posts
Yeah if anyone (ever) finds a source for zippered-window tops I'd love to hear it. Mine doesn't have A/C so that'd be very nice to have!
I think you would have to have that custom made by an upholsterer.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Hei, Is there anyone that have replaced the top home ? I am a mechanic and do everything on my cars, but have never done this ;-) reason asking is that I was told by one of the soft top sellers that this was not a DIY job
rgd Chris

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
I have a black mohair replacement top bought from Classic Alfa some 25 years ago for my '78 Spider and it is still in perfect condition.....we do need a top in the UK despite Uncle's comments to the contrary if only to keep warm.

Stuart

21 - 40 of 44 Posts