Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,343 Posts
First, I want to compliment the colors on your Spider-- the oxblood interior looks terrific with the ivory paint.
You will want to replace the rubber seal at the front top of the windshield, and probably the side tension cables (for adjustment). Your option, but I would also replace any worn door weatherstripping at this point, and/or door seals.
Several years ago, I bought a new top in German canvas from Autoberry for a S4 Spider we had at that time. The gentleman who bought the car had it installed, but it was very good quality and looked OEM.

Interesting. Never heard of Autoberry. I will check them out
Regarding the original post, stay away from the vinyl tops. I have never seen one that fit even close to correctly. The tops from Classic Alfa mentioned previously fit pretty well, have pre made holes that seem to line up well. Less guess work

·
Premium Member
3,343 Posts
Along with the front seal mentioned by Alfaloco, you may also think about replacing the stamped steel channel that the seal fits into. When I redid my top I found that the channel was so rusted it was unusable. Cheap- maybe $25, from classic alfa
True. You never know what surprises you will uncover when removing an old top!
Also, I usually spray PB Blaster on the nuts and studs that go around the rear of the top to secure it and let them soak for a couple of days. No fun to replace a broken stud back there

·
Premium Member
3,343 Posts
🍷 Were OEM Alfa-Romeo Sonnenland canvas tops padded? Was the OEM Boot Cover also canvas? Appreciate the Autoberry recommendation.
All the ones I have seen were canvas. Not sure about the boot

·
Premium Member
3,343 Posts
Hei, Is there anyone that have replaced the top home ? I am a mechanic and do everything on my cars, but have never done this ;-) reason asking is that I was told by one of the soft top sellers that this was not a DIY job
rgd Chris
Well, I have done some and there are some good write ups on the AlfaBB that detail everything.
Not the easiest top but not the hardest by far. The ones from Classic Alfa come with pre punched holes and I have found them to be accurate.

·
Premium Member
3,343 Posts
Here's an older thread on the zippered rear window:

Well there you go. I forgot about EZ on tops.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts