Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
My Spider S2 1978 needs new soft top after only 44 years...
I can see there is a couple of options, Mohair and Vinyl .
Anyone any thoughts on type and where best place to buy ? and what additional parts do you normaly need when changing ?

Thanks Chris
Automotive parking light Cloud Sky Vehicle Car

Reactions: alfaloco

·
Premium Member
2,172 Posts
Reactions: Tacconi

·
Registered
51 Posts
Hi
Anyone any thoughts on type and where best place to buy ? and what additional parts do you normaly need when changing ?

Thanks Chris View attachment 1717775
I just put a top on my 1989 Spider Veloce. I got it from M&T Manufacturing Convertible Top Guys. Very nice quality Stayfast canvas top with no padded corners. It came with new side tension cables, glue for the rails, and instructions. I followed instructions from one of the folks on this board, from the official Alfa instructions, and from the ones that came with the top. It cost with shipping ($38.24) $528.19. I'm very satisfied with the results.

I also redid the sports seats with foam from Vick ($315) and leather covers from LSeat ($418 total). I was thrilled to find genuine leather at that price. Came out very well. Redoing the carpets as well on my own.

Eric

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
Hi

First, I want to compliment the colors on your Spider-- the oxblood interior looks terrific with the ivory paint.
You will want to replace the rubber seal at the front top of the windshield, and probably the side tension cables (for adjustment). Your option, but I would also replace any worn door weatherstripping at this point, and/or door seals.
Several years ago, I bought a new top in German canvas from Autoberry for a S4 Spider we had at that time. The gentleman who bought the car had it installed, but it was very good quality and looked OEM.

·
Premium Member
3,188 Posts
First, I want to compliment the colors on your Spider-- the oxblood interior looks terrific with the ivory paint.
You will want to replace the rubber seal at the front top of the windshield, and probably the side tension cables (for adjustment). Your option, but I would also replace any worn door weatherstripping at this point, and/or door seals.
Several years ago, I bought a new top in German canvas from Autoberry for a S4 Spider we had at that time. The gentleman who bought the car had it installed, but it was very good quality and looked OEM.

Interesting. Never heard of Autoberry. I will check them out
Regarding the original post, stay away from the vinyl tops. I have never seen one that fit even close to correctly. The tops from Classic Alfa mentioned previously fit pretty well, have pre made holes that seem to line up well. Less guess work

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just put a top on my 1989 Spider Veloce. I got it from M&T Manufacturing Convertible Top Guys. Very nice quality Stayfast canvas top with no padded corners. It came with new side tension cables, glue for the rails, and instructions. I followed instructions from one of the folks on this board, from the official Alfa instructions, and from the ones that came with the top. It cost with shipping ($38.24) $528.19. I'm very satisfied with the results.

I also redid the sports seats with foam from Vick ($315) and leather covers from LSeat ($418 total). I was thrilled to find genuine leather at that price. Came out very well. Redoing the carpets as well on my own.

Eric
interesting, thanks ;-)

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Try to get one with a back window that unzips. It's great on hot sunny days to keep you cool while letting air flow through.

Hi, I live in Norway so there is not many hot sunny days , and when they come we enjoy them as much as we can with the top down ;-)

Rgd Chris

·
Administrator
'66 Sprint GT, '67 Duetto, '70 BMW 2800CS
12,786 Posts
I can see there is a couple of options, Mohair and Vinyl . Anyone any thoughts on type
I would vote for fabric (e.g., mohair) over vinyl. Vinyl probably lasts longer in the sun, but fabric just looks better. While vinyl is more sun-resistant than fabric, the clear plastic rear windows are sun-sensitive (as you probably know), so choosing a top material just because it is more sun-tolerant probably doesn't make much sense.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi, Yes I think I will go for mohair .
Thanks

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
Along with the front seal mentioned by Alfaloco, you may also think about replacing the stamped steel channel that the seal fits into. When I redid my top I found that the channel was so rusted it was unusable. Cheap- maybe $25, from classic alfa

·
Premium Member
3,188 Posts
Along with the front seal mentioned by Alfaloco, you may also think about replacing the stamped steel channel that the seal fits into. When I redid my top I found that the channel was so rusted it was unusable. Cheap- maybe $25, from classic alfa
True. You never know what surprises you will uncover when removing an old top!
Also, I usually spray PB Blaster on the nuts and studs that go around the rear of the top to secure it and let them soak for a couple of days. No fun to replace a broken stud back there

·
Registered
148 Posts
Does anyone know of a supplier for cloth top that has a zippered back window for a round tail? My last top was from Caribou which doesn't seem to be in business. The top is still pretty good except faded, but the window is shot.

·
Registered
8,020 Posts

Eric
Post pics.

Would love to see the seats.

Thanks

·
Registered
10,285 Posts
I haven't read the posts.. On a 750/101 Spider Veloce and the right Duetto and it better be a 90 point car..... I'd fuss about a nice newt top. I am convinced tops are a waste of money unless the car is a show queen.. If you have a top that keeps the weather out in an emergency.. with only towels to clean up the results .. live with it. Who care's about driving these with the top up?... very overrated accessory. Resale value? I've never had anyone chisel me down for the top

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Eric
Hi
How was it to fit ? need any special tools ? do you have the link that you used here ?

Rgd Chris

·
Registered
1981 Spider - Daisy, 1976 Spider - Tex
98 Posts
Hi

Lovely photo! Where about was this photo taken? Jeg elsker Norge:love:

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Lovely photo! Where about was this photo taken? Jeg elsker Norge:love:
Hi
The photo is taken on a small mountain road who runs from Granvin via Espeland to Ulvik, this is going down to Ulvik , this is app 120 km east of Bergen. there are a lot of small nice roads like this around here ;:)
Here are 2 more from the same trip, one outside the hotel in Ulvik just meters from the sea, and the other is the old ferry quay Bruarvik overlooking the Hardangerfjord ;-)
Water Sky Cloud Mountain Travel
Wheel Cloud Tire Sky Car

1 - 20 of 47 Posts