Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With the use of an OTC bearing separator, a Proto 11" 3 arm puller, and a hydraulic press at work (see pics below), I have managed to extract everything from the output/mainshaft except the 3rd and 2nd gears and their associated hubs (see last photo). Up to this point I have not damaged anything while removing it from the shaft.

However, I'm struggling to determine the best method to get these final pieces off the shaft without damage.

(1) I was hoping to pull the 3rd gear hub off by itself, to avoid possible damage to the gear bearings by the 3rd hub keys, but there is very little clearance (only 2mm) between the teeth on the 3rd dog gear and the three hub tripod tips. Neither of my tools will fit in there without risk of crunching the dog gear teeth.

(2) My next thought was to use my OTC separator to push 3rd gear and it's hub off the short end of the shaft together, but it will not fit far enough between the 2nd and 3rd gears to get a good attack on the back of 3rd.

(3) I could use the OTC separator to push 2nd gear and it's hub together off the long (output) end of the shaft, but again I worry about the 2nd hub keys being in the way.

Do I have to buy, borrow, or make a set of thin half-plates (like the S1 unit described in the 105 gearbox dis-assembly manual) to slip between 2nd and 3rd and use to press off 3rd with it's hub?

Should I just press everything that is remaining on the shaft now off of the short end together?

Will the 3rd gear hub keys cause a problem with the gear bearings if I do this? I would rather not replace these gear bearings if I don't need to.

How have you guys done this 'final step' successfully?

Thanks,

Attachments

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Suggestion. Heat the hubs with a propane hand torch and drive down on the main shaft with a brass headed hammer. Don'r heat the hub hot enough to discolor the metal. that is TOO hot.

Some people have told me they froze the entire assambly in the freezer and then started heating the hub from the outermost points. The shaft then fell out the bottom. But I have never tried this method.

·
Premium Member
4,508 Posts
Shove the separator between 2nd and 3rd gear with the flat side against 2nd. There is enough there to press against. You don't need the 3 arm puller. Just use the press. Then do 3rd.

·
Premium Member
1,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I apologize for my inexperience and ignorance. I guess the thing that had me worried was the fact that, when viewed from the exposed shaft ends, the hub keys were in closed slots in the shaft (see first 2 photos below) and I wasn't aware that the 2nd and 3rd gears had larger IDs than all the rest because they were hidden behind the hubs.

So I (incorrectly) concluded that the gears would hang up on the hub keys if I tried to press gears and hubs off together.

But after reading Jim G's earlier post, I opened the 105 parts book and discovered that those two gears actually have larger IDs than everything else on the shaft, and ride on a raised "collar" that has a flange separating them (see last picture).

So I now see that the gears will pass freely over the captive keys of their mating hubs when the gears and hubs are pressed off the shaft together, but since there is a flange that separates them, 2nd and it's hub will have to be pressed off the output end of the shaft, while 3rd and it's hub will need to be pressed off the other end, right?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,508 Posts
.So I now see that the gears will pass freely over the captive keys of their mating hubs when the gears and hubs are pressed off the shaft together, but since there is a flange that separates them, 2nd and it's hub will have to be pressed off the output end of the shaft, while 3rd and it's hub will need to be pressed off the other end, right?
You got it so have at it. :grin2:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts