Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all... I have a 59' Sprint I'm turning into a track car and would love some advice on what the best suspension set-up there is out there. I'm looking at advice on springs and swaybar options. And where they are available for purchase?

·
Premium Member
6,243 Posts
Welcome to the BB, but I'm an "expert" on the standard suspension.:)

You have an interesting project and have you tried a search?

·
Registered
296 Posts
Suspect you will end up with Koni shocks, a 1" front sway bar, and springs from either Dave Rugh or Centerline.

How hard core do you want to be?

·
Registered
341 Posts
No matter what you end up doing, Be sure to beef up the control arm mounts to the body in the rear. They were marginal in strength for street cars with skinny tires 40 years ago. A set up race car with sticky tires WILL tear out the mounts = a big mess.

On my fast street car, I run the orange Konis, sport springs, and a 1 inch front bar from Dave Rugh. For the track, slightly shorter heavier springs could be substituted.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Call Dave Rugh/Rugh Engineering, he has an excellent setup. Think he prefers Bilsteins to Koni's but most everyone down here runs Konis. Talk to Glen Olivera in Berkeley as well. He knows the car and racing setups.

·
Registered
72 Posts
No matter what you end up doing, Be sure to beef up the control arm mounts to the body in the rear. They were marginal in strength for street cars with skinny tires 40 years ago. A set up race car with sticky tires WILL tear out the mounts = a big mess.
How?
Are there any pictures showing this modification? I'll be taking out the control arm for a checkup, so it would probably be a good idea to do it even if I have no plans for going to the track with it.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Here are a couple of photos of the welded up reinforcements where the rear control arm joins the rear axle. Triangular shaped steel plates were welded on to strengthen the mount. I also had a piece of steel welded on inside the existing mount to help make it stronger.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
23,110 Posts
I have Dave's phone number at work and can post it tomorrow if no one does before then. I bought GTV springs from him.
Andrew

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Ignoring the bird above...try RMR in the UK for a complete spring, shock absorber, roll-bar kit which works really well.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts