Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I’m new to this group, and seeking advice from Giulietta experts. I recently acquired a 101 Sprint (titled 1962) that was being renovated in the early 1970s, before the project pooped out and it was stored. The big challenge for me, due to my inexperience in the area, is the interior. The original interior is completely missing and there are but a few scraps of a reupholstery job left. For inspiration I have looked at lots of photos on line, including the sticky here. I don’t intend a detailed restoration but I do have some questions about the original configuration.

1. What was the finish on the package shelf? I imagine black vinyl on a piece of cowl board. The corrugated steel support is still present but shows no sign of glue or screwholes. How was the shelf held on?

2. There were probably upholstered panels behind the doors. How were they mounted? Adhesive perhaps? The body in that area exhibits no holes for #6 sheet metal screws as used elsewhere.

3. What was the finish on the dash top? My dash top was stripped and primed when I got the car, so I can’t tell what was there before.

4. The front footwell floor pans had a fairly stiff adhesive material spanning the ribs in the pans to provide a smooth surface for the carpet. I have scraped all the original material off to access the steel to check for rust. Is something like the original material still available? Is there another way to fill up the ribs to achieve the same thing?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Gerry

·
Administrator
4,148 Posts
1.) The parcel shelf was covered in vinyl which was glued down into those 4 grooves so as to make the groves visible when viewed through the rear window. The vinyl was the lighter interior colour on the Series I cars and the darker interior vinyl of whatever the interior combination was on the later Series II cars

2.) The rear 1/4 panels are caught under the chrome or aluminium bead at the top, they tuck behind a welded tab on the curve of the wheel arch and are caught under the B post trim in the front - see '59 Sprint 1493*20210 a very original car with original interior. 750 E #03819 is for reference only.

3.) Grained black vinyl glued to the removable metal top - nothing else

4.) It was some sort of bitumen sheet applied by Bertone, modern car manufacturers use a similar stuff which is applied loose and then baked & fused into position through the paint shop ovens. You could try modern waterproofing torch-on materials such as Derbigum or Index membranes

Ciao
Greig

Attachments

·
Registered
215 Posts
Hi Greig, I am a bit puzzled by picture 4 you show here. The vertical bead on the rear 1/4 interior panel.. Isn't it mounted the wrong way? This vertical beads are missing on my #06227 and when I compare this picture with Guy Sweetens #06329 very original interior I see something different when I zoom in.

Erik

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Aha! Great answers Greig, thanks. I see multiple things in your photos that I had puzzled about. Your's too, Erik. My car is white and the previous owner said the original upholstery was blue and gray, so it probably looked a lot like the 20210 photo. I don't see the tab holding the 1/4 panel in that shot. On my car there are three tabs, one on the bottom and two on the wheel well. I figured the panel went inside all three.

Gerry

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Hi Grieg, sorry to jump in on a thread but in the second photo with the parcel shelf, what is the white material round the edge? is it beading? also is there a layer of foam under the parcel shelf?

cheers Ian

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Aha! Great answers Greig, thanks. I see multiple things in your photos that I had puzzled about. Your's too, Erik. My car is white and the previous owner said the original upholstery was blue and gray, so it probably looked a lot like the 20210 photo. I don't see the tab holding the 1/4 panel in that shot. On my car there are three tabs, one on the bottom and two on the wheel well. I figured the panel went inside all three.

Gerry
these guys are worth a look

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Hi all,

In my opinion, both the rear 1/4 interior panels shown in the pictures on post # 2 and post #3 are correct, the one being a later type of the other.
For comparison, here two original panels, the number on the back of the blue one is in the 56xx range, the red one: 82xx.
The blue one is larger than the red one and has an extra small end on the bottom.
The differences, probably due to the manual work that was still normal at that time.

Rgds,

Thierry

·
Administrator
4,148 Posts
Thierry is right, 06329 is a Series I and 20210 is a Series II, so the trim was slightly different in both style and shape as the bodies were also slightly different

For what it's worth, the '58 Sprints had some changes to the interiors, mainly vinyl / vinyl against the earlier vinyl / cloth, this continued through into the Series II's after 1493E*0661 and right up to early to mid '60 before vinyl / cloth became the norm again. Also some of the colour combinations were quite different, this is the original vinyl / vinyl interior in Sprint Veloce Confortevole E06559 from early-ish '58

Ian the dark grey back board is from 20210 & I think the white poking out the edges is a very thin foam layer - I have asked the owner to confirm

Ciao
Greig

Attachments

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
I saved my 1961 Sprint Veloce interior and gave it to the interior shop. I have a number of photos under the car restoration section and it is called 1961 Sprint Veloce Restoration.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hello again.

Here are photos of the front floor of my Sprint after I stripped off the jute and glue and paint. You can see that I have some projects to attempt. Welding up the saw kerfs in the transmission tunnel shouldn’t be a big deal once I practice my MIG skills. The seat mounts are a bigger deal. I will likely reconstruct them in pieces and weld to the original spot welded flanges. Since I don’t have any dimensions for the seat fixings I would appreciate it if someone with ready access to a Sprint floor could make measurements. I need the fore-aft and side-to-side dimensions for the seat mounting bolts on both sides.

There is a long thread on seat sliders from a couple of years ago, but that related to earlier Sprints and may not be relevant to mine. My car’s serial number is AR 158963.

I’m just beginning this project and I already appreciate the assistance and support from the AlfaBB community.

Thank you. Gerry
IMG_3852.JPG IMG_3851.JPG
IMG_3850.JPG

·
Registered
102 Posts
Hi Gerry,
Great Giulietta project, it’s certainly in good hands at your garage.
I have a good friend who is in final stages with his 101 Sprint restoration. If pictures and dimensions for the seat mount details aren’t available, email me, and I’ll connect you with the other Sprint owner. I suspect he doesn’t frequent the Alfabb.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts