Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all.

Just a bit of background. My car appears to be 77 spider (American variant) converted to RHD with an Alfetta spica engine now running Dollorto’s. The motor was running when I purchased it but the rest of the car was in pretty bad shape. It’s now in a lot of pieces.

There seems to have been a bit of a Frankenstein setup with the fuel regulator/filter from Nissan and an old Harting fuel pump possibly out of a Jaguar. I was going to ask about any suggestion on fitting a mechanical fuel pump however, after checking the forum and reading this link -- Spider Mechanical Fuel Pump Setup I’ve concluded that an electric fuel pump is the way to go.

Facet pumps seem to be a popular choice but not sure what the standard fuel pressure should be? I could go with the Facet gold flow 2.75/4.0 psi (34 gph) or the Facet Posi flow 1.5/4.0 psi (23 gph)? Any advice appreciated.

I’m guessing the setup would be as follows - Inline sending unit in tank to fuel filter to facet fuel pump to fuel regulator/filter in engine bay then onto carbs. This is the current setup so I would just be refreshing all the components.

Also, after removing the inlet manifold for cleaning and to replace the gaskets. I noticed that this small air valve?? seems to be blocked. It has resisted my attempts to remove it via a screwdriver and am hesitant to be more forceful if it’s not required. Can anyone tell me what this valve/vent is for? Perhaps it has become redundant after the removal of the spica system?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
995 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
In my spica to carbs conversion I'm running the Facet gold but mounted in the rear (I think these like to push fuel over pull fuel so it's better closer to the tank). I have a King fuel filter/regulator in the engine bay set to 3psi. Set up seems to work well for me. I forget what that small air valve is for... but I was able to get mine out and made grub screw to block it.

·
But Mad North-Northwest
11,450 Posts
That brass port has a very small orifice in it. If you can't remove it you may be able to carefully bore it out in-situ with a pin or something like that.

On the Alfetta engines I believe that was originally used for the distributor vacuum advance, and that's how I've got mine hooked up on my Alfetta-engined GTV.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone for your advice/info. Sounds like I'll go for a pump in the ballpark of around 3 psi or regulate to that amount.

·
Super Moderator
12,239 Posts
That works with brass float Webers.

Reactions: Player228200637

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Post #4 is correct. Mount electric fuel pump as close to the tank as possible. If you don't need the vacuum port on the manifold, a simple rubber vacuum cap will seal it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts