Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello friends

Quick questions:

The 1976 Alfetta GTV I recently bought and imported to my country was originally equipped with an AC unit.
The previous owner removed the compressor, front radiator, tubing, and electrical harness, it looks like the internal unit was left but I am not sure if it's complete.
Attached are two pictures of the current car Heating/AC status, The cooling/heating fan do not spin when turning the two knobs so I am also missing the heating.

I contacted the previous owner who has the original parts and willing to send them to me.
Looking at the picture I got from him I'm not sure what I am looking at.
Looks like a complete heating unit and separate internal evaporator unit which looks like an aftermarket type.
I want to have an AC installed in my car as the summers in my country are very hot, I am not sure bring this old equip is worth it since I don't know its condition and shipping will be expensive.

Can anyone help me understand what of the suggested parts is actually required or offer a better alternative to fix the AC units?.
I noticed EBAY/AMAZON sees universal AC kit, can these be so how fit to work with the pieces already installed within the car?.

my thoughts were to bring only the original radiator/Fan and manage with what i have installed or use some type of a new aftermarket internal unit.

What do you think?.

Thank you for your help.
Sam

Car existing state
20201206_004725_resized.jpg

Suggested parts

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
You might want to check out Vintage Air. Aftermarket systems that are pretty nice and effective. Several people on the BB have at least contemplated installation. More modern compressors and new evaporator / condenser.

Reactions: darnellsgarage

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Mark

Thank you for your reply.

Do you offer a kit sutible for 1976 alfeta GTV?, since im overseas i will have to do the install myself.

Thx
Sam

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
I doubt that they make a specific kit, but certainly something that can be adapted. Maybe someone on the BB who has deeper experience can provide more guidance.

Here is the web site for their products:

·
Registered
246 Posts
Looks to me like you have a lot of "extra" pieces that don't really contribute to your successful AC system. I'm afraid they are all less than valuable to you.

Agree with Mark's comments above. There are people that have achieved "coldness" with Alfa's installed AC systems, but most are happy with "a few degrees less than outside". I've tossed out my stock AC and am going with the Vintage Air system. There are big advantages - I'm using the "Gen II Mini" unit:
Combined evaporator, fan, defroster in one under-dash unit, reducing the amount of discrete parts, and replacing a LOT of stuff
New, up-to-date technology and components, and the lower weight also
You can get the compressor in some cool finishes (like chrome, if you are into that)
It's cold! Great unit.
There are two (OK three) drawbacks
1. Cost - prepare to spend about US$1500 for a new system
2. Custom fit - as Mark mentioned above, there's no "stock fit" for the VA unit. You need to figure out where to put it, and then how all the remaining stuff goes around it. The cavity where the HVAC resides is pretty cavernous, so it's very do-able. However, you need to figure out how it will attach. The person at VA told me that the interior unit weighs about 18 pounds, so it needs to be securely fastened. Here's a pic below of my test fit. Note that you can purchase a mock-up of the interior unit that is all plastic and weighs nothing, so you can figure out the fit - that is what I've used. I have more pictures of my test-fit - message me if you want to see them.

3. Shipping to Israel - can't even imagine...

I'm assuming that you are more interested in having cool air than in maintaining the stock look of the dash. This is another big thing. I'm not sure how much of those controls and vents you will be able to keep. I'm ripping those out completely, and replacing them with a new center dash console. You may find bb threads about how others have done this more surgically. But the sliding controls along the top of your unit won't be useful, I believe.

There are bb threads about doing this with dash in place, but for best results, you'll want to pull the dash, set up and install the VA components, and re-install the dash. It's not terribly intimidating to do. One big reason to pull the dash is that there is an air intake right in the center of the firewall, where fresh air feeds into the HVAC system. If you look carefully at the pic above, you can see the cut-out; there's a bit of daylight coming through it. The intake is about 4x7 inches. You will need to plug that. The VA unit is, in essence, a "recirculating" system, using no outside air. I've kept the side vents for fresh air, as they are directly plumbed to outside vents, and you'll want some fresh air (even hot air!) in the cabin once in a while.

Hopefully, this and the previous posts have given you some hope - you can get cold air into your Alfetta! Good luck, and don't be afraid to ask - we all learn from each other here!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Hi Steve

Thank you for your informative message.

I'm not looking to brake any recodes with freezing temperature just want to be able to drive to work in the summer occasionally without sweeting.
The Alftetta GT has big window area so I'm suspect driving it without AC will be a challenge.

Its a serious work your doing to your car I'm not their yet, would prefer to maintain the original look, a small evaporator unit can be packed behind the center dash (looks relatively empty) with outlets driving the two fresh air vents on the sides or similar, doesn't have to be a perfect system.

Can't even think of paying a 1500$ for an AC kit in the US with the shipping and import fees and that's assuming I can do the install myself.
Has anyone tried the aliexpress universal AC kit sold?.

In regards to the parts I have available from PO It looks like nothing is relevant other then the original AC radiator + FAN and based on your recommendation if i understand correctly a newly fresh aftermarket system is better.

Thank you
Sam

·
Registered
2,997 Posts
Hello Samuel-- Welcome to the Alfa BB! You are getting some very good advice from Steve and Mark here on aftermarket AC systems. I know you would like to use the parts that are available to you there from the previous owner, but I don't think you will be satisfied with the results or the cooling. The original Alfa parts will never give you the amount of cooling you need there in your country. And honestly, the comments I hear about Aliexpress purchases are not good, especially about delivery of parts you buy.
Therefore, I suggest the following ideas:

1) Use the original Alfa heater box, heater coil, fan and slide controls for heat and window defog only. You can probably clean and oil the fan motor bearings and get it running. If not you can find one on E bay, I'm sure. I see you already have the heater valve in place under the dash. Make sure the heater coil is open and not plugged up, so you have good flow through it. As Steve said, it is really not difficult to remove and replace the dash, and it will allow you to check the wiring and switches, and also solve any electrical problems you might have.

2) Get on E bay, and look for a small separate air conditioning unit that will fit under the dash, on the passenger side. You will also need a new more efficient condenser coil to install in front of the radiator, and a new more powerful electric fan. You need to also replace the filter/drier with its electrical switch (protects the compressor). Finally, you may need a replacement Sanden compressor, but the original AC compressor installed on the front of the motor may work for your system. It would be good if you could post any photos of the compressor that was on the motor originally. All of these parts can be located on E bay Motors, closer to you there in Israel, and so your shipping costs will be less. An older AC unit that Vintage Air duplicates today was called the Mark IV, and it was installed suspended under the dash. I think you can locate a small AC unit, integrated with its own fan and temperature control, on E bay, for less money. I'll post photos of typical under-dash mount AC units.

We like photos here on the BB, so if you have any more photos to share, please post them. Stay in touch with us, Sam! Good luck.

Reactions: Joe149

·
Registered
2,997 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Steve Mark and Alfaloco

Thank you for your valuable advices.

So, I think I, starting to have a plane, will use the original console for heating and window defrosting and add a small evaporator similar to what Alfaloco suggested below the glove box on the passenger side (The ford unit looks awesome).
Will a units like this be able cool the driver side as well? is it strong enough to cool the entire car?.
I don’t have a condenser installed, the PO removed it together with the mounting bracket and everything else, attached is engine bay picture.

Basically, the only decision I need to make at this point is if I should toss the old radiator/FAN/piping available for me free in the US and try to remanufacture/improvise something locally or bring it here and try to use it with a separate external evaporator and new condenser like you suggested.

The old radiator will bolt in perfectly with no modification needed.

Thx
Sam

·
Registered
2,997 Posts
In the photo I do not see the mount bracket for the compressor. Is it also included? It is a steel plate bolted to the front of the motor, extending to the driver side with a cradle for the compressor. You will definitely need a mount of some type for the compressor, Sam.
If your radiator is clean, and does not leak, then it should be fine as long as you have a large electric fan installed.

A small unit installed under the dash should be able to cool the entire car, but I also suggest you place insulation on the floor under the seats, extending up to the pedals. The car has a lot of glass area, and you may want to get some of the glass lightly tinted, also.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
In the photo I do not see the mount bracket for the compressor. Is it also included? It is a steel plate bolted to the front of the motor, extending to the driver side with a cradle for the compressor. You will definitely need a mount of some type for the compressor, Sam.
If your radiator is clean, and does not leak, then it should be fine as long as you have a large electric fan installed.

A small unit installed under the dash should be able to cool the entire car, but I also suggest you place insulation on the floor under the seats, extending up to the pedals. The car has a lot of glass area, and you may want to get some of the glass lightly tinted, also.
I don't have the compressor bracket, I will have to source one and all the necessary bolts, poly, belt, compressor that fits to it,, basically an entire kit.

Not sure what is the status of the radiator, looks decent, the PO kept it so I assume its operational.
Looks like the radiator has a big fan already mounted on it so I guess its a bet, spend the money in shipping it here and test for leakage once its arrives.

·
Registered
2,997 Posts
Sam, take a look at this thread:

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
I'm still working on getting my system to not freeze up (I suspect I have a bad or incompatible expansion valve).

You can install a rotary (Sanden) compressor using a mounting bracket from a Milano. Bolts right up. You can also replace the stock condenser with a modern aluminum parallel flow condenser. Then swap the fan for something with bigger vanes and more RPMs. Finally you can replace the hoses and connectors. You local auto air supply shop should be able to help you with all of those. If you're feeling crafty the work isn't too hard. The only trick is the o-rings. ENsuring you're using the right diameter is a little tricky.

Basically, without getting into too much detail, you can significantly upgrade the system either by installing a VintageAir system, or for fewer dollars and a little more work, the individual components.

·
Registered
2,997 Posts
Sam, I suggest you get the radiator cleaned out now, while it's out of the car. One less thing to worry about. Hey I loved those videos!

·
Premium Member
16,707 Posts
One thing I found helped with my GTV6s was to install the reardeck window louver set. Really helped keeping the sun off all the big area behind the front seats. If you haven't done it yet, you could also have sunshade film to the windows, except the windshield of course.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Thank you for all the great tips and ideas.
Will follow and keep you posted.

The original radiator is on its way to israel and i will deal with the AC once I finish the Spica saga.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts