Alfa Romeo Forums banner

181 - 194 of 194 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #182
Wall Drug! Wall Drug! Wall Drug! There were so many billboards!!! And they have everything you'd ever want, so why not stop by??

We skipped it. We wanted to get to the lodge when there was a little daylight left. We also skipped Badlands, which I wanted to see. And the Minuteman site would've been cool to see too. The Pioneer took up too much time, but it was worth it. Next time ...

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #183
@930cabman

1,000 miles in ten years could be a problem, sealed or not. How about moisture/corrosion in the gearbox/differential/wheel bearings/ ......

Takes some guts to undertake this adventure, or craziness
For some reason, I trusted the seller. He told me the gearbox had fresh synthetic oil - same with the diff. I was worried about the wheel bearings - I've had one go out on my old XJ6 years ago. I remember the noise it made as it was going out, so I listened for it during the drive. While we were in Glenview, Il, I grabbed each front tire and shook it to feel for looseness. The front left had a little slack, so I pulled the outer bearing and repacked it with some really good red synthetic grease. I wanted to get the inner off, but it required me to open the brake line and it was too humid, so I left it alone (water and brake fluid!). When I put the wheel bearing back on and tightened everything up, it felt fine and no noise, so I took a chance.

There was a little noise in the drivetrain, particularly when lifting throttle on the freeway. I thought it may be the center bearing and I almost shoved some grease in there, but I didn't. I listened for it to get worse in the rain and it remained the same. I also thought it could be a U Joint, but it felt tight. Tomorrow, I'm headed to the shop to have them do an oil change and I'll take a look under the car when it's on the lift.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #184
@930cabman

I vote craziness ... with a lot of love for adventure, Alfa's and Cindy - she's a trooper!

And we're off to Taco's Ensenada for dinner. Post more stuff tomorrow!

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #186
Got busy with work. I asked Cindy if she could send me more photos. We have a new Canon camera we took with and we started taking pictures at Mr. Rushmore. I'm excited to see what they look like on my computer monitor.

I also didn't have time to get the oil changed - I'm planning to do it soon. I use Mobil 1 15W50 in my other Alfa Spiders. I checked the zinc content and it's 1300 ppm. I was told to try a diesel oil, but I couldn't find one with high zinc and that's also rated for gas engines (higher rpm). Here's a table of zinc and phosphorus in Mobil 1 oils. https://mobiloil.com/~/media/amer/us/pvl/files/pdfs/mobil-1-oil-product-specs-guide.pdf

I also purchased a WIX oil filter. It's a big heavy filter for such a small motor - I like it!

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #187
@930cabman

You guys must be in your 20's or 30's at the oldest?
You are too kind! Our 30's feel like yesterday, but they were a long time ago!

In two weeks I'm hitting 54! When I was in high school, my friends and I thought we'd never make it to 35! For some reason, 35 seemed old back then.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Shame I am just seeing this, I am in Cleveland but as it happens the same week you were out in my neck of the woods, I was out west. My car may only be 41 but there were plenty of oops moments to go around. We could sure use an alert system to ding if anyone needs a hand locally... glad you got back home safe and sound!

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #189
A quick update from Pasadena.

Yesterday, I was in the mood for a good pastrami sandwich. My friend told me the best in the area is at a place called Oinkster in Eagle Rock. When I'm in Eagle Rock, I typically eat at Cacao Mexican Deli - a friend owns it. Well, I started on the 210 west, then stayed on the 134 and I passed the exit to Eagle Rock. I kept going until I got into Burbank, then I realized I was miles past. I was enjoying my Alfa so much that I didn't notice - or maybe I didn't want to notice! I took a few side streets, then I decided to take a drive into the hills in Glendale. I finally dropped down into Eagle Rock and headed to Oinkster. Their pastrami is good, but the best??? After a late lunch/early dinner, I headed home on the 134 to the 210. She ran beautifully!

Here's a couple things I've learned since driving her in the area.

1. It tkes about 1/5 throttle to get her to start when cold.
2. If I let her warm up for a minute or so in the driveway, she drives much better.
3. I don't push her hard until the temp is normal and it's heat soaked.
4. She loves to be over 4000 rpm!
5. If I drive near 100 mph, she gets a little hot, so I only drive her fast for a short amount of time.
6. With all the extra luggage/spare parts and tools out of the trunk and only one person in the car, she drives magnificently! Lively and fun!
7. She wants to oversteer when going through corners fast. She's well balanced and it's easy to correct the oversteer.
8. My 1971 with dual Webers is a bit more responsive and seems to rev a little faster. There is a difference I notice when I drive both cars. I do prefer the dual Webers over the SPICA. My '71 is a late one, so it has the 2L motor.
9. The difference between my 1980 and 1973 is huge. I can't believe it's the same motor! It's a huge shame to put all those smog choking devices on such a great motor.
10. I don't know if it's wrong to say this, but I feel the Alfa motor is angry! She wants to run hard and be pushed, but only when warm.

Years ago, I had a 1967 Porsche 912 and I really miss the car, however I believe the S2 2.0L Alfa Spiders are much more fun to drive and if both sere sitting in my garage, I'd grab the Alfa keys first. I have a Boxster sitting in the garage and she collects dust. Ditto for the MR-2 Spyder. I keep the Boxster, because it's my last Porsche. I keep the MR-2, because it's my long drive roadster - something I don't have to worry about or bring tools. As much as I love my new '73, I still feel I need to keep a fuel filter and tools to replace it.

I think I'm going to pull the roll bar out. It limits the seat leg room and the recline of the seat. Any suggestions is greatly appreciated.

And I need to fix the hose from the vent (in front of the windshield), because we did get a lot of water on the passenger side foot well on our drive across country. And the exterior door handles are not working too well. Maybe an adjustment?

Take care and have a great Columbus Day!

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #191
Hi Neil,

Langer's! I haven't been there in years - you're right, they have incredible pastrami. The nice deli type vs the greasy stuff at The Hat, Tops and Oinkster. Now I'm hungry!!!

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #193
Hi Bob,

Oh yeah! Brent's is awesome. They opened one in Westlake Village/Thousand Oaks. When I was living in Ventura County, it was great having them there.

Back in the 2000's, I worked at a credit union in Chatsworth. Brent's was one of my go-to places to eat - only a few blocks away. They have a steak sandwich that reminds me of when I was in college - I had steak sandwiches at "The Bog" - a pub type place in the basement of one of the campus buildings. Comfort food for me.

181 - 194 of 194 Posts