Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
Been working on a 1974 GTV that's been sitting for ten years. Just wondering if anyone has an wisdom to share about things that should be done to the Spica system before attempting to start the car?

Thanks BB'ers!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Spica Advice for a Nonrunning GTV

Hi all,
Been working on a 1974 GTV that's been sitting for ten years. Just wondering if anyone has an wisdom to share about things that should be done to the Spica system before attempting to start the car?

Thanks BB'ers!

·
Premium Member
979 Posts
Clean the entire fuel system, including the tank and line to/from the spica before starting the car!

·
Registered
9,977 Posts
Trying to start it in derelict condition may damage the injection pump even more than it is now. My advice is to clean the entire fuel system, fuel tank to injection pump and back. That probably means taking the fuel tank out and having it professionally cleaned, cleaning all the fuel hard lines, replacing all the rubber line, replacing the rear fuel filter and front filter. Probably will need a new main supply pump as well. Then once it's all back together, run the outlet line of the injection pump into a bucket and pump clean fresh gasoline through the injection pump galleries for a few min.

Bench check the Thermostatic Actuator, replace it and set the pump gap. Try a start. Like I said though, if the pump sat derelict for 10 years without being pickled, it's likely damaged and varnished up.

If you need some Spica materials let me know.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Trying to start it in derelict condition may damage the injection pump even more than it is now. My advice is to clean the entire fuel system, fuel tank to injection pump and back. That probably means taking the fuel tank out and having it professionally cleaned, cleaning all the fuel hard lines, replacing all the rubber line, replacing the rear fuel filter and front filter. Probably will need a new main supply pump as well. Then once it's all back together, run the outlet line of the injection pump into a bucket and pump clean fresh gasoline through the injection pump galleries for a few min.

Bench check the Thermostatic Actuator, replace it and set the pump gap. Try a start. Like I said though, if the pump sat derelict for 10 years without being pickled, it's likely damaged and varnished up.

If you need some Spica materials let me know.

Thanks for the ideas. I have already replaced the fuel lines and cleaned the tank, and a new fuel pump is on the way.

So it is best to remove the pump and clean out the varnished fuel? Then proceed with the adjustments of the spica pump?

Thanks

·
Registered
240 Posts
I was in the same situation earlier this year, my car was "supposed" to be a runner before I bought it. Not sure if you had your car running before storage or if it is new to you.
I was proceeding the the same way you are and spent two months chasing my tail trying to get that darn thing to run before Roadtrip was able to discover a fatal yet easily fixed misadjustment.
Moral of my story, get all the information you can, take Roadtrip up on his offer, read everything. You MUST proceed in order and assume NOTHING is as it should be.
By the way, the GTV now starts easier than my GTV6 and purrs smooth as a kitten, gotta love that SPICA.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was in the same situation earlier this year, my car was "supposed" to be a runner before I bought it. Not sure if you had your car running before storage or if it is new to you.
I was proceeding the the same way you are and spent two months chasing my tail trying to get that darn thing to run before Roadtrip was able to discover a fatal yet easily fixed misadjustment.
Moral of my story, get all the information you can, take Roadtrip up on his offer, read everything. You MUST proceed in order and assume NOTHING is as it should be.
By the way, the GTV now starts easier than my GTV6 and purrs smooth as a kitten, gotta love that SPICA.
The car is new to me, picked it up in California out of Sacramento. I will definitely clean the entire system, and post the results.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
979 Posts
I took John's advice and had talked to Wes Ingram because I had a newly rebuilt Spica. Everything must be clean or you will at best chase your tail and at worst damage the pump. So just plan on dropping the tank from the start. Note that there is a return line that needs to be flushed out as John states.

·
Premium Member
71 Berlina 74 GTV 17 Giulia Q4
6,667 Posts
great advice but we need some photos of the car to share with us. That's actually the first step:) gongrats, great to hear another Alfa will be on the road!

·
Registered
240 Posts
Couple other thoughts from my experiences. Be sure the entire ignition system has working, if not new, components. I ended up having to replace the coil, wires, plugs, points, rotor and cap. Be sure the timing is spot on. Also it's always nice to have the Spica pump properly timed
Remember assume nothing and triple check everything.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Barn find

It is also a good idea to pull the spark plugs & pre lube cylinder walls w/WD40; crank the engine till you get good oil pressure.This is benefecial to ring life.Also resist over revving to clear a misfire when first started;also benefecial to ring life.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I've been working on my 1750 Spider that's been 'in storage' for the past 23 years. Good news is that it was in my insulated garage for all that time so sustained no serious damage during storage. The project started with a WD40 injection into the cylinders, coating the walls well. Then everything rubber was replaced (belts, hoses, fuel lines), along with plugs & wires, points/rotor/cap, and all filters. I pulled the gas tank for a good cleaning, but it turned out it needed more than an acid etch; ended up with a ReNu coating inside. Everything that had fluid was flushed and refilled. The engine is now running, though it still needs some tweaking. I should mention that, as far as I can tell, the Spica system is working as well now as it did when the car went into hybernation back in '89.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts