Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

1991 Spider Veloce with 99,xxx miles.

I recently purchased new springs (all 4) and took the car for an alignment. My camber is off -2.5 degrees. You can actually see the tire leaning in at the top.

I decided to install adjustable upper control arms so the camber can be set properly.

My question is around setting the length. I have set the length as close as I can to the old arm.

IMG_0256.JPG

You can adjust the length by turning either end of arm as the adjustment is in the middle.

IMG_0257.JPG

Do you try to have an even amount of threads on each side or do you have all the threads on one side or ......?

IMG_0258.JPG

As always, thank you in advance for your help.

Vin

·
Premium Member
14,007 Posts
Mine have one RH thread and one LH so you just turn the hex in the middle. Start off with an equal amout of thread showing on each side so that you have the maximum range of adjustment.
You can get a decent measurement of the camber with the wheel on the ground and loaded by using a level, a tape measure and trig.

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hello Ed,

Thanks for the quick reply. I get it now.

All set.
IMG_0260.JPG

IMG_0259.JPG

Thanks again!

Vin

·
Premium Member
4,528 Posts
The nice thing about using the lower a arm bushing for the inner bushing. Is you can tighten it up at anytime. The car does not have to be sitting on the ground like you would have to do if it was still the rubber ones.

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The nice thing about using the lower a arm bushing for the inner bushing. Is you can tighten it up at anytime. The car does not have to be sitting on the ground like you would have to do if it was still the rubber ones.
I was wondering if anyone was going to pick up on that ;).

I had to press them out of the old arms and install into the new. I used my bench vise. Took some heat and a cheater bar. They were tight!

See anything else in there? :)

Vin

·
Premium Member
86 Veloce
903 Posts
I recently ordered a Tenhulzen alignment kit. Adjusts Caster, Camber, and Toe. Very glad I bought it, easy to use and no more alignment shops that say " I can align anything!" They cant. You also have control to tweek it the way you want if you are not satisfied the first time...

·
Premium Member
4,528 Posts
I was wondering if anyone was going to pick up on that ;).

I had to press them out of the old arms and install into the new. I used my bench vise. Took some heat and a cheater bar. They were tight!

See anything else in there? :)

Vin
Alfa used the A arm bushing there until 1969. They even had a tool to install in the correct position.

The aftermarket ones are a lillte to big. OKP sells ones that are closer to the OEM ones. There only 6.00 euros more.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
14,007 Posts
I believe that the adjustable arms are from FRAP. Andrew posted some time ago that the rubber inner bushings fail quickly and bulge and are then difficult to remove. When I bought mine I immediately pressed out the rubber bushings and installed poly bushings from Performatek. I think that they have a bit more compliance than the plastic lower arm bushings. I have had them installed for many years and they are holding up fine.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts