Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me how to adjust the bumper/fender on my s4 spider. The moulded bumper sits a little too far out where it meets the wheel arch on one side.
Dave.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Mine does the same thing, but I have not really figured out how to fix it yet. If you go under the fender behind the rear wheel there is a sort of metal bracket that seems to allow the lastic cladding on the bumper to move around a little in case it is hit. In my case, I think that metal bracket has gotten bent, moving the fender out. It is on my to-do list, just haven't gotten to it. If anyone has a better idea of what is going on, I would love to hear it.

·
Registered
4,094 Posts
Mine does the same thing too.......on the drivers side it's out further. Wow I thought I did it while I was unloading the car from a trailer. Maybe it's a factory thing?

I tried to adjust it but no luck.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
As far as I can see there are three possible areas of ajustment. At the rear where the bumper mounts to the body - the manual say these can moved to allow the bumpers to be centered - presumably this is just the whole unit left or right.
At the sides on the undersidee there is a ruberised strap.to attach to some sort of U shaped hanger - will probaly allow the ends to be pulled into the bodywork.
Finally there is one just above the swage line on the side - this looks like it may allow vertical movement.
Looking closely at mine, it looks like the ends need pushing up by 1/2 inch on each side and then possibly slightly in.

·
Registered
4,094 Posts
Let us know how it works, I tried those points but I couldn't get the top sides of the bumper to move in or out (the adjustment points your talking about are at the bootom of the sides).......right?

The pictures below show my problem on the drivers side the bumper return into the wheel well does not lip over the inner wheel well which causes it to stick out further then the passager side which does lip over.

All I need is to have it move 1/8" but the adjustments below don't do a thing for it unless I'm not doing it right?

# 1 picture is the drivers side

# 2 picture is the passager side

Attachments

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'll try to get some photo's of mine plus the adjusters. I guess if someone has painted an S4 they would have a better idea how the adjustments work.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here goes with the photo's. The first shows the drivers side (UK speaking) and the second shows the passenger side. Both of the ends clear the wheel arches but don't sit right.

The next shows the the more obvious place to adjust -the one you just tried ?.

The last document is the last mounting point...I think this is where we can make the correct adjustment but I dont know how.

Regards.
Dave

Attachments

·
Registered
125 Posts
Holy relief batman
I got the same irregularity with my S4. I thought the previous owner banged into somthing to cause it but it would seem it's one of those Alfa things.I feel better now.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I can't beleive we have all suffered in silence for so long :) all feeling slightly inadequate about our bumper alignmnent but too embarassed to talk about it. Does anyone have the answer or is this something to do over winter ?

·
Registered
4,094 Posts
I did try to adjust the one in the second picture and didn't help........it seemed that it was more for just holding the sides in place?

I think when a wood trailer ramp bounced and hit the bottom of the drivers side rear bumnper at the track is when this mis-alignment happen to mine. Maybe when unloading in the docks when our cars came over to the states or transporting to the dealers ect. alot of S-4's rear bumpers got knocked around or knock up from the bottom which caused the sides to drop or get out of alignment?

I think that the whatever fastens the top and sides of the bumper to the steel body are out of wack and need a slit hammering to staighten them out but I'm not taking the bumber skirt off to do it.

Here are some pictures looking down onto the bumper sides.

#1 Drivers side
#2 Passager side

Attachments

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've got some driving to do so maybe I will try over winter.

·
Registered
4,094 Posts
Thanks Backfeeder, That does help alot for me,

Maybe:
The screw lug slip out of the slot and is riding behind the plate instead of in the slot?.......Bumber get's bump from the rear and botton and screw lug pops out and now the screw lug is on the back side of the slotted plate thus nothing to keep the bunper lined up on the sides and is held out further away from the upper steel fender panel?????? Or the lug pops out of the body???

More questions::eek:
Do you have any pictures of the rear of the bumper (under the tail light and lic. plate) on how that fastens to the body?

Is the sloted plate plastic or metal if metal is it a heavy gage or light gage?

·
Registered
492 Posts
It would seem that if the top screw popped out, what would hold the top of the bumper on at all, not that it would simply fall off but it would seem tugging gently on it would indicate if that screw is still properly in its slot. In my case, I straightened out the bracket that is kind of shaped like a "U" and that got mine somewhat back in place. That "U" piece attaches to the bumper with a rubber piece (you can see it in the pictures) maybe 1 1/2 " long. I think the rubber of the past 16 years has lost its elasticity, it looks cracked, so it has allowed the bumper, which probably has gotten hit a little or has changed shape with age, to pull away from the body. I would have to guess without looking that these rubber links are NLA, maybe something else could be substituted that would "pull" the bumper back to where it belongs.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
hope this can help;
Yes it does. I've not seen that screw head before. Can this be moved vertically or is it stuck in one place ? If you look at my passenger side bumper you can see the top of the channel that the screw sits in. It feels secure so I think the screw head has latched correctly but has just moved south a little.

How did you remove the bumper ?

·
Registered
351 Posts
Dave,
Pic 1 shows the screw can be backed off and move vertically.
Pics 2 and 3 show the right and left side respectively and pic 4 shows the studs on the bumper. The last pic shows the three securing areas on each side of the bumper. There are no securing points in the center. Removing the bumper would be easier if you have a gear driven stubby wrench.
Good luck, ARDEN

Attachments

·
Registered
351 Posts
my pleasure...although photographing my bumper at 11 pm with a thunder storm on the way may just solidify my rep as the weirdest person in the neighbourhood.

·
Registered
4,094 Posts
Just curious, Is your bunper off to adjust it or are you doing some other work on the car?

·
Registered
351 Posts
Darn it Murray you're 1300 miles away and I still find your nose under my car. Actually I will post a thread one day about what I am doing, until then here is all I will show.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 23 Posts