Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I was just curious if there was some way to adjust the idle on the 24v engine. I am not seeing any adjustment screw, although maybe I am just looking in the wrong area. I have spent some time searching this forum for a solution with no such luck.

Thanks,
Matthew

·
Premium Member
6,187 Posts
not really

there is a small BOSCH idle cutoff switch, when closed (at 0 degrees throttle) it sends a signal to ECU to 'idle'. If your idle is not 750 or so, you probably have a air leak somewhere or a vacuum leak somewhere, assuming the throttle body/cable assy etc is not binding/sticking, and the idle cutoff is correctly adjsted and working

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The car is probably idling close to that (warming up I believe is a little higher, once warmed up (or around 120 degrees), maybe a little lower at about 600rpm or so)

Although I have not verified it outside of just looking at the gauge. it just seem to fluctuate a lot, and connecting a vacuum gauge is showing 9-10 inches of mercury. The power steering is almost non-existent until the RPM's come up just a little bit.

I suppose I have some other issue

·
Premium Member
27,524 Posts
Idle speed is computer controlled using sensors that are preset. If you have a low idle you may have a idle actuator (IAC) issue, false air issue or a cam timing issue. If it is a 95 with EGR you can have a leaking EGR valve or sensor issue on EGR, too.

Pull codes and see if you have a code in ECU memory. Alfa 164 Motronic M1.7 Self-Diagnosis

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Tonight I will check the codes following the procedure. This car is a 1994. I have been looking for any vacuum leaks along any of the hoses running near the intake plenum, but have not found anything yet. I hope this will shed a little more light on the issues I am experiencing. Thanks! :)

·
Registered
320 Posts
Not meaning to hijack this thread, but when I turn on the A/C compressor, RPM's drop from 750 to 700 or so with a rough idle. Many cars seem to compensate, but my 95LS does not. Should it ? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
27,524 Posts
Not meaning to hijack this thread, but when I turn on the A/C compressor, RPM's drop from 750 to 700 or so with a rough idle. Many cars seem to compensate, but my 95LS does not. Should it ? Thanks.
Yes it should but many don't seem to send the signal to engine ECU or ECU doesn't seem to respond and adjust idle upward.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts