Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any thoughts on Slick 50? I have heard many say that it is similar to STP and other "mouse milks." They make you feel good about doing something, but are of no value in a well-lubricated motor.
On the other hand, my Formula Vee engine builder told me that Slick 50 did show some improvement on the dyno. Perhaps only about 1/2 hp, but in Formula Vee you will sell your wife for that improvement. (Some would have sold our wives for even less!)
Also, I have found Red Line fuel system cleaner to be very effective. Anyone agree?

Keeth Lawrence
84 Spyder restoration project

·
Supporting Vendor
4,363 Posts
I have heard several knowledgeable people say that additives such as Slick 50 can actually do long term harm to a motor. I would say you could get that 1/2 hp gain just as easily from a good synthetic oil.

I shun most additives, but these 2 work well for me:

1) Chevron Techron fuel injector cleaner. Once a year or so, as recommended by Rex Chalmers.

2) Marvel Mystery Oil. For Spica cars, this gives a little bit of lubrication to the pump when added to the gas. As its major ingredients are just light oil, it certainly can't hurt anything.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
I also read somewhere that Teflon was not recommended by its manufacturer (forgot who that is) to put into Internal combustion engine.

---
I was wondering what the Marvel Mystery oil is doing inside my GTV when I got the car. :)
BTW, How much should I put into each tank? Thx.

JoeCab said:
1) Chevron Techron fuel injector cleaner. Once a year or so, as recommended by Rex Chalmers.

2) Marvel Mystery Oil. For Spica cars, this gives a little bit of lubrication to the pump when added to the gas. As its major ingredients are just light oil, it certainly can't hurt anything.

·
Supporting Vendor
4,363 Posts
I use a few ounces per tank.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
I was a huge fan of oil additives with my 'vintage' '84 Accord. Prolong produced the best results, going from 18 mpg to 24! I did not notice any difference with Zmax and Slick50 is a no no. Marvel Mystery Oil is well, a mystery. Seriously, I have a bottle of the stuff in my garage some where.

I recently added Zmax to the crank case and gas tank of my GTV. The engine seems peppier but with the slipping clutch I can not tell for sure. Since my baby only has 130,000 km (80,600 miles) on the clock, I could take advantage of Zmax's 150,000 mile warranty should anything go wrong. Muhahaha!

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Sounds sensible, but I'm in a quandry over the whole ordeal.

- I do not have the funds for an Alfa shop to replace my clutch.
- I could buy the parts from IAP and attempt the replacement myself. I'm just not sure if I can man-handle the transmission back into place.
- I could probably pull the engine/tranny myself . . maybe.
- I have a 2 liter that might not take too much to get running. Should I invest in that conversion? I have no idea of the full scope of such a conversion. Can I use the original tranny? Are there any websites or publications that describe 2 liter conversions?

I thought about a temporary fix. I could use the clutch assy out of my last '67 GTV. But some frowned on using used clutch components.

OTOH, perhaps I enjoy whining about my slipping clutch a little too much. Nah, I wanna ring her out but can't.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Kai, I'm going to tell you that you can't afford to not have a professional shop do it. Having a similar car to yours' I can tell you that it is tremendous fun to drive, when it is driving right. I have been fortunate with mine, however, when maintenance is needed, don't dilute yourself into thinking that you're as good as a pro. Better to let the car rest, budget for the repair, and have it done right. You're sitting on a beautiful peice of history and machinery, treat it right and you'll reap the rewards. James.

·
Premium Member
6,681 Posts
i seen that stp engine treatment sieze a 164 S motor. only motor oil is going in my car. i deal with what happens rather than possibly kick myself for buying "that stuff on tv" i am not saying it doesn't work, just i am not open enough yet to use it.

·
Premium Member
1,451 Posts
I think 67gtv enjoys his car. He's been running Long Beach Grand Prix for 15 years. Anyway's, I think he's been doing to many burnouts and is not loosing clucth.

Kai- Clucth replacement isn't tuff (i can assure you of that, because I've never done it). No but I've seen mechanics start taking them out. It's simple i think. Also the tranny only weigh's topps 40 pounds, if not less.

Find some tech articles and wrench that tranny out. Or just be super safe and take it to a mechanic when some funds arrive.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Kai, I learnt my lesson from doing the head gasket myself. I thought it would be a two days job, it ended up being a week already. And I hurt myself really bad from that, just got forteen new scratches on my arms and hands today (my gf is counting them). My back and my legs are soar too. Ouch.
Being said that, I was having a whole lot of fun (& frustration). :D

I heard somewhere that it might be easier to get the whole engine out instead of just taking off the trans. I've never pulled an engine out of the engine bay in my life, I've seen my uncle did a few times, he (a pro mechanic) made it look so easy (with all the right tools and the big jacks). I also heard that Alfa Romeo is one of the easiest engine to pull.

I've picked up an alfa trans at alvin's house, I was so shocked it weight so little! Alfa rules!!

After pulling the head, maybe my next "adventure" is pulling an engine. Kai, need some help? :D

BTW, is there a price reference guide somewhere for Alfa or cars in general somewhere?
I sometimes wonder if it's worth it to do some big jobs by myself to save a few bucks.

generaljimt said:
Kai, I'm going to tell you that you can't afford to not have a professional shop do it.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Thanks guys. I was considering doing the job myself until I read about it in the Alfa Bible. Mr. Brayden made it sound so difficult to put the tranny back in. I may still attempt it. Say Anthony, does Santo accept work that's been started by an amatuer? Traditionally, mechanics hate that.

If I could sort out the 2 liter conversion, I'd invite Sniady & Heimeng down. "We're gonna have us a engine pullin!" :D

Here's my spare 2 liter. Get this color scheme the PO put on it! Gonna strip or replace them colored parts.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,681 Posts
that 2 liter belongs in either my car or fabrizio's... it matches out paint schemes on the race cars.

yeah, my dad takes in unfinised work. its not an uncommon thing for a half disassembled car to come in on a flatbed. The poplular ones seems to be 6 cyl cars that people tried to change their own timing belt or adjust their own valves.

it's not as hard as it seems to change the tranny on jackstands. just make sure it's high up on jackstands to so you have plenty of room to work with.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Kai, next week?? :D

67GTV said:
If I could sort out the 2 liter conversion, I'd invite Sniady & Heimeng down. "We're gonna have us a engine pullin!" :D
The new engine looks clean! The PO owner must have spend a lot of time cleaning and painting it. A friend of mine had painted the V8 in the SC400 GOLD and YELLOW! Ouch, the ugliest piece of xxxx I've seen.
Anyway, I'm thinking either polishing my valve cover (which is laying on the ground, without a home right now) or painting it black. Any suggestion?
I've seen black valve engine covers on Alfa, did they come stock like that? :)

·
Registered
77 Posts
I think the black valve covers came on the race GTA's and GTAm's. You can or have someone polish that aluminum to a high luster (looks like chrome). You'll need to seal it though because it will change back to a duller finish and look gray again. There is a product line out there (3-4 level process) that will seal any aluminum part for up to a min. of a year and have enough to do 4-5 valve covers but costs about $100.00. I saw it on 'Trucks!' a cable show but they might have a web site.

·
Supporting Vendor
4,363 Posts
I have a highly polished valve cover on my GTV. I find it pretty easy to take care of, I hit it with Maguiars Mag and Aluminum polish once or twice a year and that's it.

Really quite easy to keep shiny without a sealer or clear coat, which I have always found to discolor or peel due to heat and/or exposure to oil and gas fumes. Maybe a clear powdercoating would be the best ticket if you wanted to coat it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Ive done a clutch in my freinds cars. One was a 80 toyota pick up which was really easy couse its a wheeling rig and its lifted enough that we didn't even have to jack it up. The other was a old datsun 510.

Both cars were really really easy to do. However, i havent looked at my alfa enough to notice how hard it would be to reach the bolts on the top end of the tranny so...

i can tell you that other than figuring out how you would get to the bolts, the rest is a breeze.

Mike

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Thanks Levin. I have been making preparations to do this clutch replacement myself. It looks like I can get to all the tranny bolts easily enough. My main concern is getting the transmission back in. I am going to use my floor jack to support the tranny and then lift it into place by hand.

I searched around town today for the oil and a 14mm hex key. After going to five places I finally found a hex key at NAPA. It should be in by tomorrow. I have a new clutch plate, a clutch alignment tool and the oil. I should be able to start this job tomorrow. Hopefully y'all won't be hearing cries for help from me.

·
Premium Member
1,451 Posts
Kai, you can also lay flat on your back and rest the tranny on you're stomach, and when ready lift it and tighten it up.

I've heard of people doing that. The tranny is light.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts