Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys , i was planing on turbo charging my 1600 engine but heres the thing , i am wondering if it is safe to do so , since the compression is a big factor , could i safely turbo charge the engine without putting low compression pistons etc?
The compression ratio i think is 9:1 so how much more would a small turbo add?
Cheers

·
Premium Member
6,243 Posts
Hey guys , i was planing on turbo charging my 1600 engine but heres the thing , i am wondering if it is safe to do so , since the compression is a big factor , could i safely turbo charge the engine without putting low compression pistons etc?
Cheers
Away back, everyone ran a very low C/R because Porsche was running something like 7. But that was with air-cooled heads. Low detonation point.

Eventually 8, like on Subarus was used.

My BMW 535 xi Wagon uses 10.2 and with the Dinan Stage 2 puts out 375 HP and 415 torque.

Ignition and fuel control is incredible.

With the right set up you might be able to run the 9.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Cheers
The compression ratio should be fine if you aren't going for big power. My 2L Nord is boosted with the same compression ratio. Currently running 6 PSI and has been running without problem. With modern engine management, you can get away higher compression ratios than they could back in the days of carbs and air cooled engines (i.e. the old turbo Porches). If you are looking for 20psi and 300hp, then lower compression is in order (among other things).

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Do you have a turbo yo could suggest? I am not looking foralot of power like 300hp , but maybe close to 200

·
Registered
131 Posts
I'd also be very interested in where a turbo or supercharger could be sourced for an otherwise stock 2.0 Spider and how it runs/drives, whether it affects reliability adversely, etc. It seems like that'd be a great way to give a little Spider a 'boost' without a complete engine rebuild.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Do you have a turbo yo could suggest? I am not looking foralot of power like 300hp , but maybe close to 200
I'm running a Garett T28, but there are dozens of turbos appropriately sized for that application and power output as 200hp 2L turbo motors are extremely common in OEM applications. I'm running a custom manifold and downpipe. Frankly, it's the requirement for a custom manifold and downpipe that is the biggest issue in turbocharging a spider- there are very few off the shelf options.

·
Registered
205 Posts
On Bring-A-Trailer auctions that started today there is a 2000 GTV with a turbo. It was on eBay last week - reserve not met. Some good pics.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
I'd also be very interested in where a turbo or supercharger could be sourced for an otherwise stock 2.0 Spider and how it runs/drives, whether it affects reliability adversely, etc. It seems like that'd be a great way to give a little Spider a 'boost' without a complete engine rebuild.
It runs and drives great. Feels like a stock motor until about 2500 rpm and really takes off over 3500 rpm. As for reliability- it's too early to tell. I've ragged on it pretty hard- but I don't drive the car on a daily basis, so I can't tell you whether it will last 20k miles. You are probably pretty safe for a long time at 6psi (~170hp). 8psi is probably safe too (~200hp), but you are rolling the dice above that. There aren't enough boosted Nord engines out there with modern turbo setups to really get a sense of its limits in real world conditions.

Good engine management is crucial. Any boosted motor is going to have problems without it. I'm running a megasquirt 3 (completely replaces stock ECU).

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm running a Garett T28, but there are dozens of turbos appropriately sized for that application and power output as 200hp 2L turbo motors are extremely common in OEM applications. I'm running a custom manifold and downpipe. Frankly, it's the requirement for a custom manifold and downpipe that is the biggest issue in turbocharging a spider- there are very few off the shelf options.
I am doing it for a gt junior , but i guess since these are nord engines should be all simular , so ill have to go for a down pipe?
I have been looking at jafco manifold , do you know if those bolt right onto the nord engine?

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
I am doing it for a gt junior , but i guess since these are nord engines should be all simular , so ill have to go for a down pipe?
I have been looking at jafco manifold , do you know if those bolt right onto the nord engine?
I don't know much about the jafco kit, but I understand it's pretty ancient as far as turbos go. You may need to modify the flange to get it to accept a modern turbo.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Thanks for the info Nealric- for me 170-200 hp would be totally sufficient. I currently have a squadra-chip as the only mod in my S4 and it added a nice little punch but not quite enough. I've been thinking about a turbo/supercharger for awhile. The big issue for me is- of course- I live in CA.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
This is complicated one , i am looking at a turbo that a guy is selling here it comes from a ssangyong (mercedes) maybe see how i could modify that , i think turbo charging my engine will be safe since i have recently restored it , from a to z , it has new main end caps etc

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Here is a thread that may intrest you its not about turbo charging but increasing power
http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/spider-1966-up/304825-79-spider-dyno.html
I'm obviously a bit biased, but I've always thought that trying to wring more power out of a small little four banger (especially an old school 8v one) without boost is a lot of work for not that much gain. Unless you are running in a vintage race series that bans boost, I would go turbo every time. Anything more than a mild bump NA means a complete engine rebuild. If you are going through all that trouble, why not build it for boost and get double the power? >:)

Turbo setups have come a long way since that old jafco kit.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Thanks for the info Nealric- for me 170-200 hp would be totally sufficient. I currently have a squadra-chip as the only mod in my S4 and it added a nice little punch but not quite enough. I've been thinking about a turbo/supercharger for awhile. The big issue for me is- of course- I live in CA.
My understanding is that you are basically SOL in CA. I'm in Texas and have the car registered as an antique- so I have no inspection or emissions requirements at all.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Heres a supercharged nord engine

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
This is complicated one , i am looking at a turbo that a guy is selling here it comes from a ssangyong (mercedes) maybe see how i could modify that , i think turbo charging my engine will be safe since i have recently restored it , from a to z , it has new main end caps etc
Honestly, I wouldn't bother. The actual turbine is a small part of the cost of a good turbo setup. Far better to get something new and standard.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Honestly, I wouldn't bother. The actual turbine is a small part of the cost of a good turbo setup. Far better to get something new and standard.
Ill deff look into the turbo you got , i guess jafco s are old turbo s , by what you described the turbo kicking in at 2500 rpm would be perfect for what i am looking for

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Ill deff look into the turbo you got , i guess jafco s are old turbo s , by what you described the turbo kicking in at 2500 rpm would be perfect for what i am looking for
If you are less ambitious in output goals, you might want to go a little smaller than what I have and get an even lower boost threshold and less lag. I wanted to leave the option open to build the motor and go for 300hp. The Garett T28 is not the absolute best turbo for the application, but it does happen to be extremely common and cheap.

·
Super Moderator
10,635 Posts
My understanding is that you are basically SOL in CA.
As long as Mikethree's Alfa is pre-1976, he isn't subject to emissions inspection, so a turbo would be OK here.

But unlike in Texas, he can't drink beer while he is driving - maybe that's what you meant about his being SOL, which I assume means "Sh*t Out of Lonestar".

1 - 20 of 58 Posts