Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I posted before the buffetting by the wind with the top down is a problem for the wife's ears(it's tough getting old). I have also read many posts about how difficult it is to carry on a conversation or hear the radio with the top down. Will I finally setteled on a solution that works for me and it's legal in Mississippi.

I installed an intercom. I adapted an aviation intercom but I'm sure that one for a motorcycle would work just fine. The key to being legal is that the driver must have 1 ear uncovered so they can hear what is going on around the car. I'm not sure how motorcycle riders get away with speakers in both ears and the ghetto cruisers blasting their mega bass but that's another thread.

Since I am a recovering pilot I had some aircraft intercom stuff that I was nolonger using for flying so I put it to work in the Alfa. What I found is that a Softcomm ATC2 intercom fits very nicely into the hole in the console for the ash tray. I just popped the intercom out of it's case and Velcoed the intercom into the hole. To power the intercom I just soldered 2 wires onto the back of the 12 volt aux power plug and wired that into a switched power source on the car. Next I tapped into the wires that feed the rear radio speakers so I could plug in the plug that would normally go to the aircraft radio so I could hear my favoriate tunes. If you don't have a radio the intercom will work just fine as a stand alone unit.

For my application any aviation headset will work. In this case I chose some light weight headsets that I got on eBay. The wife's has two speakers and mine has one. Both headsets have a microphone.

Voila! Now I can protect the wife's ears, carry on a conversation, and hear my favoriate tunes with the top down. It works even better with the top up. All in all it makes for a very plesant afternoon cruise.

Now I know that there will be "nay sayers", "ballyhoos" and comments about defiling something sacred, but hey, you gotta do what you gatta do. It just might be that somebody has been looking for the same solution. If you are I'll be happy to answer any questions.

·
Registered
3,909 Posts
Now I know that there will be "nay sayers", "ballyhoos" and comments about defiling something sacred, but hey, you gotta do what you gatta do.
Hey, as long as it gets you what you want, and allows you and your wife to enjoy the car, isn't that all that counts??? I think it's a great solution!

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Of course you realize that now you're going to have to go down roads that let you get the car off the ground more frequently, right? :)
Yep. I can just close my eyes and imigine that I'm flying. And I've got the headset to prove it.

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
Actually one should listen to thier wife, frequently.

If you don't you're liable to miss that half under her breathe threat about cutting something off or the like and wonder what happened after it's too late.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Uh, why would you want to be able to listen to the wife? :D
I can see 2 reasons for owning an Alfa. Self fulfilment or having someone else do the fulfilment for you. Since I'm not into self fulfilment I prefer the latter. And what better way to be come fulfilled than take a nice young lady out for a seductiave cruise in the Alfa. The payoff can be great.

·
Registered
612 Posts
cool solution ;)
btw it looks like its time for a new gear shift knob

1 - 11 of 11 Posts