Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have always found the seats on my 88 Grad to be very uncomfortable, mainly because they lack lumbar support. It doesn't take long for my back to ache when riding in my Alfa.

This winter I decided to work on the seats in general, and lumbar support was on the list. I purchased a new foam bottom cushion from IAP, and a vinyl set of seat covers.

The back of the seats simply slides off after removing 2 Philips head screws near the bottom, so no major surgery is required to do this.

To address the lower back support I picked up a set of springs from the hardware store:

And a piece of shelving rod:

After taking a few measurements I created this complex welding jig :)

When I was done I had fabbed up this piece:

I attached some foam to it (it is very stiff foam, it was covering the floor of a gymnastics gym):

Then I attached the assembly to the seat as shown using hose clamps to secure the springs to the seat frame:

I made the assembly ½” less than the width of the seat frame so that the springs would be preloaded.

Assembly was easy, I opened up the hose clamps until the springs slipped on easily, then tightened the hose clamps to stretch the springs.

I haven’t been able drive the car yet since it’s laid up for the winter, but the seat seems to be very comfortable now.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Have not been lucky enough to drive my 81 yet but I am working on a way to fit honda s2000 seats into it because my seats were useless and I had heard stories of the comfort level of the factory seats.

·
Registered
520 Posts
This may be off the mark, but I would like to say that I often see many alfa drivers, sitting wrong in the car. (my opinion, having grown up with italian cars as my first vehicles)

Many of us come from american and british sports cars, where one sits more upright and vertical, with bends at the elbows. but the italian car was designed to keep your arms completely straight, and your full back reclined against the seat with your head quite low and your legs outstretched. This was the design of the italian sports car (and is what is mimiced by those kids that cruise around in their silly tweaked-out japanese cars)

(another complaint that i have seen this generate is that some drivers complain of headaches after driving wtih the top down for too long, this is the same issue. your head should not be that high-up and taking all that wind!)

·
Registered
964 Posts
I had similar problem w my 74...but went a slightly different route...it was cheap...just used material laying around , some foam , a piece of Masonite , and packaging tape...let me see if I find pics....

and I am used to sit straight with my arms as much out as I can , and still reach pedals...grew up w European cars....this car was the ONLY car I ever had this problem , but of course the last 30-40 years I have been spoiled w Volvo Seats.
I needed a lumbar , esp on trips over 30 minutes...this did the trick...I wrapped this soft foam a few turns over strips of similar foam , taped up, stuck it in the right place , made it stay by cutting a piece of Masonite to fit , not too wide, and to be high enough to "bottom out" (so it would not slip down) to the frame and big enough to fit in under the upper S curved spring. took all of 15- 20 minutes , no cost as all was material I had laying around....I have been happy since....drove 7 hours to Gulfport ,Ms in October , 4 days later back to Houston , it felt fine

Attachments

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Interesting, my seat backs don't have any metal springs like yours do. All I am aware of in my seats are the black elastic cords shown in the picture.

It looks like the seats from your years are a much better design (and therefore more expensive) than mine.

·
Registered
964 Posts
well, yours is a 88, mine is a 74...older model...different seat backs...that's why I posted mine also, for people with older models.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts