Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Background: I own a 1983 Spider that never had AC. About 24 years ago, I swapped its Bosch engine for a SPICA engine with a ported head (added cams, DCOE Webers, Euro manifold, headers, pusher electric fan, etc. etc.). Fast forward to the present ... I've just re-rebuilt that engine, and want to add A/C so my wife will ride with me in the Virginia summertime. I'm finally trying to learn about A/C in my old age; I used to just remove it.
I am swapping the oil pan and front (timing) cover back to the original Bosch pieces so I'll have the mounting bosses, and I've sourced an S3 evaporator unit, controller, front pulley and compressor mount. I will drill the '83 oil pan for a dipstick tube. I've ordered a Sanden compressor and the biggest Spal fan that will fit as a pusher, and plan to buy a parallel-flow aluminum condenser and receiver/drier, along with new barrier hoses.

Sorry for that long intro. Here comes my first question: I took apart the evaporator, cleaned it up, and found that the wires for thermistor probe had broken right up into where it's crimped. I don't think it was the original thermistor. Are these sensors fairly standardized, as far as resistance curves go? Where can I get one that will work with the Behr controller? The sticker on the evaporator body reads "BEHR of America Serial No. E969-003420, and it's out of an '84 or '85 Spider.

No doubt I'll have more questions as I progress. Thanks in advance for any help!

·
Registered
3,643 Posts
Background: I own a 1983 Spider that never had AC. About 24 years ago, I swapped its Bosch engine for a SPICA engine with a ported head (added cams, DCOE Webers, Euro manifold, headers, pusher electric fan, etc. etc.). Fast forward to the present ... I've just re-rebuilt that engine, and want to add A/C so my wife will ride with me in the Virginia summertime. I'm finally trying to learn about A/C in my old age; I used to just remove it.
I am swapping the oil pan and front (timing) cover back to the original Bosch pieces so I'll have the mounting bosses, and I've sourced an S3 evaporator unit, controller, front pulley and compressor mount. I will drill the '83 oil pan for a dipstick tube. I've ordered a Sanden compressor and the biggest Spal fan that will fit as a pusher, and plan to buy a parallel-flow aluminum condenser and receiver/drier, along with new barrier hoses.

Sorry for that long intro. Here comes my first question: I took apart the evaporator, cleaned it up, and found that the wires for thermistor probe had broken right up into where it's crimped. I don't think it was the original thermistor. Are these sensors fairly standardized, as far as resistance curves go? Where can I get one that will work with the Behr controller? The sticker on the evaporator body reads "BEHR of America Serial No. E969-003420, and it's out of an '84 or '85 Spider.

No doubt I'll have more questions as I progress. Thanks in advance for any help!
You say the thermistor wires are cut where it's crimped? You mean the tube itself, at the expansion valve? I'm confused! It may be easier for you to find another expansion valve, frankly. I would not waste time with the tube itself, you may or may not find something that actuates the valve correctly.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You say the thermistor wires are cut where it's crimped? You mean the tube itself, at the expansion valve? I'm confused! It may be easier for you to find another expansion valve, frankly. I would not waste time with the tube itself, you may or may not find something that actuates the valve correctly.
It's not the copper tube sensor for the expansion valve (I did buy a new expansion valve, which I failed to mention). It's a completely different two-wire sensor that's stuck into the evaporator coils and feeds its value to the little electronic controller box gizmo.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts