Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm rebuilding a 89 Bosch engine to install in my Nuova Super. My plan includes replacing the FI system with carbs. The goal is a warmed up street engine running carbs and street performance cams.

A parts supplier I spoke with recently suggested that I could use the Bosch head with carbs. I assumed this wouldn't be advisable because the injector reliefs in the intake ports would mess up the intake flow, but I'm not really sure now.

I'd appreciate input from others who have knowledge/experience in mounting carbs on a Bosch head.

Thanks.

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
Why switch to carbs?
With the right camshaftery and other work, (hint: exhaust), it'll do just as well performance wise and still give decent mileage.

Still, if you must downgrade, swapping the intake manifold will be in order along with all its sundries and the notches will have almost zero effect on a warm street engine.

·
Richard Jemison
7,769 Posts
Bosch head to carbs

The carb manifold won`t fit the head unless you machine off the boss rearward of the cam drive bulge on the water jacket. That done it will bolt on. Linkage etc will have to be from carb assembly.

·
Premium Member
14,785 Posts
If you do go with Webers, forget about mild cams. Get a set of big cams from Richard. You will not regret it.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
First, thanks for the input. It sounds like I can use the existing head with a little light machine work. One less part to track down.

Get a set of big cams from Richard. You will not regret it.
Richard who?

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Forgot to mention that lug.
(pix up in the spider subsection I believe if one wanted to reference)
Found the pictures on the IAP site (http://www.international-auto.com/index.cfm?fa=ad&aid=269). Mine has an odd combination of the VVT set up, no intake side boss as indicated by "C" in the IAP photos, but the other mystery boss labeled "E" in the IAP pictures is present. Maybe just manufacturing variations?

Thanks.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts