Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know I have seen this but where?

We want to put an oil cooler on the Giulia Super.

It has a 1750 motor with the cartridge style oil filter.

Anyone know where to get the adapter plate? Ideas on where to mount the cooler?

Thanks,

Tina

·
Premium Member
582 Posts
Tina:
As another post indicates, the basic Alfa pan system is so elegant and effective (depending on your application).
Here's what I did for a racing 1600. The adapter is from Les Hurlock, but last time I spoke to him he was was retiring, and that was several years ago. His web site is still up though, give it a try.
new brochure -filter.
The filter in photo is Canton's, but you can use a number of over the counter spin-on products.
You can see that I emulated the GTA cooler placement, going vertical to the driver's side of the stock radiator mounting, but this is a Stepnose, not sure what room you would have on the Super.
Good Luck
Wil

Attachments

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, Wil.

I will look into this.

Please let me clarify, the car does not overheat and is fine in most circumstances. We do use it for long trips and spirited driving and my engineer husband is concerned about the breakdown of the oil and subsequent decrease of pressure during a long hot drive. I know others have added coolers for this reason, particularly racers. I had one on my '71 spider vintage racer and it helped.

Thanks,

Tina

·
Super Moderator
12,328 Posts
Remember, if you use an oil cooler, be SURE to use a thermostat in the cooler lines. An Alfa engine running too cool oil will wash out bearings and leave your journals shaped like an hour glass. In pure racing, this is not a problem, but with street use, it becomes important. Too large a cooler will collect sludge, and these are difficult to clean.
From my experience.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts