Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there are lots of threads about how it fits once it's there but how have people gotten it in to start with.

On my 66 Giulia Super I am trying to lower the engine with transmission attached into the engine bay it just gets stuck between the bulkhead (back of cam cover) and cross member (bottom of gearbox) no matter how steep the angle is or how much i jack up the back of the car. It just looks too tall to fit. I can't get the engine far back in enough for the sump to clear the front of the car.

Any ideas? Have others installed the engine and transmission as a unit?

Thanks

·
Registered
811 Posts

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
David didn't say it, I've also done it, and that is to remove all of the studs and get bolts to attach the tranny. That said, it's still not fun, but will make getting the TS in the engine bay a whole lot easier.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I know there are lots of threads about how it fits once it's there but how have people gotten it in to start with.

On my 66 Giulia Super I am trying to lower the engine with transmission attached into the engine bay it just gets stuck between the bulkhead (back of cam cover) and cross member (bottom of gearbox) no matter how steep the angle is or how much i jack up the back of the car. It just looks too tall to fit. I can't get the engine far back in enough for the sump to clear the front of the car.

Any ideas? Have others installed the engine and transmission as a unit?

Thanks
Yes, others have installed the engine including the transmission as a unit in a Giulia Super (Nuova from '77). However you mention you will install it in a Giulia from '66. I know that first series Giulia had a different chassis support section on the front. In other words the cross beam / traverse. Might be worth it to check this.
Greetz,
Arthur.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys. It finally went in with the upper allen bolt on the rear cam cover removed and the hood and hood support strut removed.

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
batman, the TS looks like it was made for the car. I gather it is a work in progress, but sure looks great at this point.

Is the five wire 'organizer' a stock or aftermarket item? It sure gives the mass of ignition wires a finished look.

·
Registered
257 Posts
No, it was a project I did ten years ago,the starter motor failed recently hence the strip down

The HT lead seperators are factory items if you can still find them

Dave

·
Registered
41 Posts
Hi Dave,

How did you get your engine looking so clean? Most of the "shiny" engines are painted, but yours clearly isn't.

Cheers

Adrian

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
Fitting TS

I'm going to try nylon straps around the engine, leaving the cylinder head off. I think this will allow more room to shoehorn in the engine.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Hi Dave,

How did you get your engine looking so clean? Most of the "shiny" engines are painted, but yours clearly isn't.

Cheers

Adrian
I had all the outer alloy castings soda blasted then I sprayed them with clear lacquer from an aerosol, I found this takes the newness/brightness off the castings

Heres two other pics.......I usually fit the engine and gearbox as one assembly, but that time I didnt want to risk damaging the engine bay paintwork

Bloody tall engine!

Dave

Attachments

·
Registered
it's almost a alfa romeo spider
10,928 Posts
thats going to suprise a lot of folks on the road when it's done

1 - 12 of 12 Posts