Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
GOOD MORNING ALFA BROTHERS & SISTERS....
MY NAME IS DOMENICO
( I just signed up this morning )
I believe I'm the luckiest guy in the world..lol
I actually found a 1971 ALFA ROMEO GTV 1750CC
IN A BARN.... ( just started the restoration...

Dom

·
Registered
85 Posts
Welcome, sounds very interesting, looking forward to seeing some pictures.

Before cleaning it up, have you thought about having it valued?

The market tends to get very excited about barn finds and they can potentially be worth more than a decent running car.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Euro or USA version?

·
Push hard and live
11,014 Posts

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
We're watching for the next photos... looks like it was parked and abandoned. And, to Don's point, it could be worth more original than converted to European specs. That GTV market is simmering now.

·
Registered
4,534 Posts
I'M just guessing here but I think he is only going to change out the FI system. He is not likely going to do body changes and bumper changes and signal lights changes and gauge changes and dash changes and side marker changes and steering wheel changes, and head lite changes, and tail light changes and what else??? Oh and get a euro engine block. and ????,, Do you think../

Ken

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Ken, your right on it! A 100% true conversion is not done by most. And, at that point you might as well go 69 GTV, if correct seats and bumpers can be sourced! :)

The "born in Italy" thing is a moot comment.

·
Premium Member
1,499 Posts
I am excited by your discovery and looking forward to developments! Best wishes!

·
Administrator
14,449 Posts
Mostly because USA versions of cars are seen as having unnecessary safety nanny and emissions stuff. Think of the 5mph bumpers for example; ruined many fine cars.

You guys are probably used to this stuff, but outside of America, yes there are other countries, we see a pure car ruined by the need to sell to the USA. In the case of these Alfas, thankfully they were largely unscathed, but to somebody who doesn't know, they will say "Oh pity, the originals were so much better ... "
Pete

·
Administrator
14,449 Posts
Don't get me wrong, we need emissions stuff (and a little bit of safety), but not on an old classic car ... but yes happy my Nissan Qashqai has all that stuff, for the planet, etc.

Pete

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Pete, there are plenty of people here who will happily argue a well tuned Spica car is better than one with carbs. Personally give me carbs any day, just passing on an observation.

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
Pete, that's exactly why my son Mike, after seeing the nicely integrated European bumpers on the GTV-6, was determined to find a set for his '86. And we did. And one of the USA market bumpers was heavier by far than both the Euro bumpers together. Driving the car after the conversion, you could actually feel the response difference from the reduction of weight at both ends of the car.

The asinine saga of the 5mph bumpers, forced upon us by the DOT, Institute for Highway Safety and the insurance lobby, was a testimony to the ineffectiveness of big government and the nanny state. We all paid dearly for those absurd bumper designs, and today they are nowhere to be found. Why? Because they were finally revealed to be of zero cost-benefit, which is what educated, sensible people argued in the first place. It seems some manufacturers, like BMW and Volvo, went out of their way to create ugly bumper solutions for our market.

Give me the pure aesthetic of the original carrozzerie designs, every time. If I want bigger bumpers I'll buy an F-350 and bolt bully bars on it. Rant's over... back to this exciting barn find!

·
Push hard and live
11,014 Posts
Most of my Alfa's have had Webers, but I really enjoy the Spica. The comment about going Euro (around here) often means regressing to carbs.

Yeah, heavy bumpers and stilt-like ride heights. My 77 got those things fixed. But I'm keeping the Spica.

Reactions: horsewidower
1 - 20 of 30 Posts