Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hej oop,

Does anybody know where in Queensland, preferably Brisbane, i can get a car body acid dipped, hot tanked etc. I have found one place in SA that does it, however this is a bit far away to be economic.

Happy to hear pros, cons, rants and experiences too, as I've none.. And not made up my mind. I like the dip idea as it gets everywhere (and potentially add an e-coat), unlike soda/media blasting... or my fingers and a strip wheel.

Cheers
Craig

·
Registered
28 Posts
dfrye, what did you have done at Austec?
What did it set you back?
I'm looking at options for stripping an Alfetta GT and I'm not keen on sand blasting.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Its expensive. Figure 3-4k for a full car including hanging panels. I figure you are going to save much of that later down the track anyway. I thought they did a really great job.

//dean

·
Registered
530 Posts
I am thinking of using REDISTRIP in SYDNEY to strip and derust this section. Has anybody used them for similar items?

·
Registered
131 Posts
I don't like caustic dipping, it creates a LOT of work and leaves areas permanently unpainted unless the shell is neutralised and dipped in primer.
Soda blasting is much, much safer on older cars and only removes the coatings you want removed, like exterior paint. Do you REALLY need to sand, prime and paint the whole of the inside of the shell/boot? Will you ever see it again? Soda blasting allows you to chase down body seams to bare metal if you think they are suspect, whilst leaving everything else untouched, for example.
Think about this, you are fundamentally dipping your car into drain cleaner.....

·
Australian Member
100 Posts
Hi Shane. Redistrip is an alkaline process, but NOT caustic. If they used caustic on non-ferrous metals such as aluminium there wouldn't be anything left in their dip tank. It is an electrolytical process that removes all rust and coatings without any damage to sound parent metal. Soda blasting will not remove rust. Also ask your painter what he thinks of the results - if he has experienced any panels soda blasted he will tell you he had to spend extra time preping the surfaces to get any sort of adhesion, because it leaves the surface too smooth. Soda blasted surfaces must be neutralised with an acid wash very thoroughly since the soda residual particles are alkaline and if (and when) they get wet again they are corrosive, causing rust. Disastrous inside inaccessible areas such as inner sills, dog-legs, double panels, etc. where you can't effectively remove all the residual - very fine - soda particles. I have witnessed a very expensive lesson with this on a Lancia Aurelia Coupe body. The Redistrip processes are used in aircraft component coating stripping, which requires the strictest adherance to quality control and the process must conform to numerous aviation approvals. Your Alfa parts will be totally safe with them. Might be a bit more expensive than some others but the results will more than compensate.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hello Craig
I read with interest you mention a company in SA that does acid dipping? Do you have some contact details ?

Thank you
George

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
SA = South Australia

I eventually found a few places that can dip a whole car, but none that e-coat for future rust protection (galv, phosphate etc):(

·
Premium Member
1,224 Posts
Rosso,After redistrip,how is the metal treated,especially inaccessible surfaces?FWIW,if this is the same Redistrip company as in the states,they've been around at least since the 1960's.I rembember seeing car bodies after stripping,looking like new metal.

·
Australian Member
100 Posts
alphil, Redistrip treatment provides a light anti-corrosive film over the entire surface. This film will protect the ultra-clean metal for a short time, until it is prepped and painted, which should be done as soon as possible. For internal or hidden surfaces treat with a Tectyl or similar spray-on permanent protector. The Redistrip process includes rust removal from all surfaces, including internal or hidden surfaces. There are no recurring corrosion problems. Yes it is the same process as the USA Redistrip one and treated surfaces look new. By the way for those who are calling this 'acid dipping' it is the exact opposite, 'alkaline dipping'. Acid will not remove paint. Phosphoric acid is used to provide a corrosion-resitant surface to ferrous metals, known as phosphating. You wont get a better paint and corrosion stripping job than from these people. The following link will take you to a Q and A info sheet on the Australian Redistrip process
http://www.redistrip.com.au/REDI STRIP information sheet booklet _2_.pdf

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hej Rosso,

Do you know if redistrip now has a facility here in QLD, I only ask as you're here. When I contacted Redistrip in NSW last year they were unable to coat (epoxy paint) immediately after the dip and could only offer the (lanolin?) water proof coating.

I'd still prefer to dip my car, do you know if this has changed (perhaps i got it wrong, i was surprised by the answer)??
Pricing excl. transport was comparable to traditional blasting for those wondering.

Cheers
Craig

·
Australian Member
100 Posts
Craig, they are only in Blacktown still unfortunately. If you get a body done there and it needs to be transported back to Brisbane you should definitely get them to do the lanolin rust proofing they offer. That way if there is any rain on the way up the body will be protected. This is easily removed with solvent and alkaline wash to prep for priming and painting. They don't do any painting. The lanolin also can be left on in the hidden areas as it is a good long term anti-corrosion product. Tectyl type products can be sprayed over it to enhance the protection in those areas.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts