Alfa Romeo Forums banner

41 - 48 of 48 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,544 Posts
Jim K. Is Jim Kartalamakis who wrote the definitive book on hot rodding these motors. Highly recommend it.

The cams are Richard Jemison's (@Alfar7 on the BB) designs and are excellent for this motor.

Basically what you have is a nicely sorted out Nord motor. You can push the limits with oversize pistons and higher compression but at the expense of reliability and longevity.

If you're really looking for a serious bump up you might consider a TwinSpark conversion.

Finally, I'm looking for a 4.10 and have a 4.56 we can swap - and I'm local as you know. PM me...

·
Registered
1974 Alfa Romeo GTV 2000
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Well got the car off the hoist today finally, down on to the dolly, and low and behold its level! Haha, never built one before and my dad and I just sort of winged it and built it as we attached it to the car, works great! Cant believe how light the car is, I easily picked the front end up to lift the casters/dolly clear of the support beams for the hoist when we moved it off, did the same for the rear.

Looking forward to getting it to the body shop and getting into the motor and the rest of the odds and ends.

Based on some input I have received , I think if the motor checks out when it comes apart I may look into the Classic alfa cosworth pistons, but will probably get a fresh set of motronic style pistons and liners from them and take the money I saved and see if I can dig up a nice set of Italian Webber 40's. The car has spanish carbs on it, and they seems to be a bit troubled. I have heard some bad things about some of this version of the webber, so I am thinking upgrading to a nice proper Italian set would be a nice touch, and maybe help with a little stumble I have been having when starting off.

A couple quick snaps of how things are looking....

·
Registered
641 Posts
We use JE pistons. Maybe consider talking to Spruell and get his advise. Hes got a great business and a ton of experience. Parts hold up to racing. Worth a call

·
Registered
1974 Alfa Romeo GTV 2000
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
We use JE pistons. Maybe consider talking to Spruell and get his advise. Hes got a great business and a ton of experience. Parts hold up to racing. Worth a call
Interesting! Will look into this. Thanks!

·
Registered
641 Posts
Yes just depends on driveability. Really, torque is your target for road cars. Concentrate on balanced rods, head work n focused cam choice. You dint too light a flywheel or too peaky a power band. 4.56 is good for all around fun, unless yoy plan to freeway it a lot. The 4.10’s are sought after for its lower rev count in 5th at 70+. You already have what appear to be good parts, Id just make they are as exoected and reassembled with knowledgable hands. For me, its the heart of the build and worth sending out. Rest is a lego build.

41 - 48 of 48 Posts