Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
1974 Alfa Romeo GTV 2000
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey everyone!

It has been a long time, I have still been lurking here from time to time since my last posts, but life got between the Alfa and I for a while.

Long story short..ish.. We have moved back to Detroit from Los Angeles, thankfully just before all of the lockdowns and the pandemic was officially declared. As the weather here in Michigan began to get nicer, I went and picked up the GTV from my father's shop as that is where I had it shipped to during the move. A few weeks later (ehhh 6-7 weeks ago) I decided to take it out for a short cruise around the block so to speak like I enjoy doing from time to time. Things were going well, the car was humming along quite well. A short while later while at the end of my driving loop (Woodward Ave in Ferndale for those that are familiar) a old out of service unmarked shuttle bus came flying up behind me, tailgating me at a very close distance for a short period, then when the lane next to me opened up he promptly swerved into that lane, and then once along side me in the Alfa, he decided it was a great idea to turn his bus straight into the passenger side of my poor GTV. Upon this happening I immediately pulled onto the left shoulder as I was in the left lane. The bus however, emitted a black puff of smoke and took off. In an instant I threw the Alfa back into 1st gear and mashed the pedal giving chase. All the while calling 911 to report the hit and run, after a couple miles of chasing the bus down which at this point was doing close to 90mph, and reading the plate number to the officer on the phone I decided to let the ***** go and head to the police station to file a report and see if they could get anything from his plates. Of course, the plate number was not written down correctly and was missing a digit and I was far to frazzled to remember what the sequence was.... a few days later a claim was filed, for the damage repairs and the car is sitting back in my Dad's garage awaiting its time in pieces.

The damage wasn't awful, a door skin, a fender, a tie-rod and some minor bits however; the car was originally painted by (gigem75) in his garage with a single stage lacquer that we wont be able to replicate so the car will need to be stripped and blasted so it can be painted in a multistage paint and cleared.

We these things in mind, we developed a plan to make some more major changes to the car that I have wanted to do for a long time...

The basics:

-GTAm arches/fenders front and rear
-Backdated Rear Facia Section similar to a GTA / Junior
-A fresh engine build with the Alfaholics pistons and some other fun go fast bits
-Roll Bar/Harness Bar / Rear Seat Delete
-Fuel Cell
-Alfaholics Adjustable Coil-overs front and rear
-GTAm Wheels...

Ect Ect Ect

The plan:

My Dad just finished up his Duetto Restoration today, so tomorrow we are going to be moving my car on the lift for tear down.
Once we have the car totally torn down we are bringing the body over to my friends shop in Troy where we will be making the body right, Adding the fenders/arches and getting the rest of the body properly fit and finished. While this is happening I will be collecting the parts I need for reassembly, and building the engine. Once the paint work is done the body will return to my dad's shop where we will reassemble the car and get in back on the road. We are looking at 18-24 Months start to finish with any luck.

Between my father, my friends at the shop and Roman Tucker just up the road we should be in pretty good shape to get this thing done and sorted in a good way. Really excited to get going on it, and make this car my own.

Before I get flamed for cutting this car apart and taking away some of its originality I should say this car is far from original and has been saved from the grave once already. Im looking forward to having this little bastard outlaw alfa back on the streets.

I am sure I will be picking your brains on a regular basis for tips and tricks and anything else that comes up! But please, stay tuned! I'll try to keep this thread updated with many photos as time goes on!

Before the Accident :

The Aftermath:

img_5225.jpeg

img_5258.jpeg

Work Begins tomorrow! I'll be updating soon!

-A

·
Registered
1974 Alfa Romeo GTV 2000
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Inspiration Cars:

During these last few weeks I have had plenty of time to Mood-board this build out a bit. Just sort of my nature to do things like that with the line of work I do, we put mood-boards and treatments together for every project we do, so I felt it to be fitting to do the same here. Here are a few of the cars I have drawn my inspiration from for what we are going to be doing..

hero1.jpg

1968_alfa_romeo_gtv_15593288269421ca27d6b49cIMG_E8641.jpg

TENN5007tennx1-2880x1920.jpg

The car will hopefully resemble the first red GTV posted above, stainless rivets exposed and a similar stance, a little lower in the front.

Color:

We will be painting car an Audi Color that I am in love with because why not. A non-metallic deep grey, called Nimbus Grey. They offered it on the fist gen Audi TT Neiman Marcus Editions.

TT-Color.jpeg

Later...

A

·
Premium Member
16,007 Posts
I really prefer the original, not those others. To me it's gorgeous, the others, meh, with tacked on fenders, esp with that icky gray Audi color. I sure wouldn't change it from what you have now. Certainly would be worth more to me than the others. But that's just me, I prefer them unmolested, with their original beauty.

·
Premium Member
16,007 Posts
Yup. And I didn't to my Sprint GT (Carlo would have killed me), nor any of my other Alfas through the decades.

Nothing personal, it is your car after all. Just thought the first picture was great, reminding me of my Sprint GT, although mine was the first red production model.

·
Registered
1974 Alfa Romeo GTV 2000
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
As I mentioned above the car was basically found in a field half rusted away and mended, in a garage, by the previous owner. The engine came from another car he built. If this was a significant car, I wouldn’t cut it apart. I’m not an idiot.

Yeah I could paint the car red. But that’s not exactly an original idea. I feel like I’ve seen another red gtv or 2 around before...

I’m 33 years old, I am a part of the dwindling younger population of actual car enthusiasts. I suspect my opinions may differ a bit, as i am sure yours did from your father’s generation.. (so on an so forth)

I respect the history of things and there is a time and place to keep things original and then... there is not. Is this a SS? A step-nose? A Alum Bodied GTA? It was a car that was slowly being reclaimed by the earth and now, it’s frankenstiened back together. Who cares? The picture looks good because that’s litterally what i do for a living. You couldn’t get within 10 feet of this thing without seeing a wave/dent/chip/kink on any and every panel.

I haven’t been that active on this forum yet, but I have spent time in many automotive forums associated with the cars I have owned over the years. I don’t think i would ever comment on someone’s individual project thread to tell them A. How i think their idea is “iky”. B. humble brag about how your car is or was a survivor and have somehow made the fact it’s red A significant thing.

I am all for hearing opinions and providing feedback but generally I think some tact should be factored in somewhere along the line. Like “is what I am saying actually constructive...

It’s my car, it’s a car forum, I’m just documenting and sharing what I am doing. Hoping for a helpful bit of useful advice here or there and other nice things along the way.
It’s all just for fun anyhow. I know I for one can appreciate other’s automotive tastes even if they don’t align with my own.

At the end of the day it’s just about the passion you put into what you do, no?

Yay! Ok back to not derailing my own build thread 🤣

·
Administrator
12,751 Posts
Rivets should be painted. Over time as you clean and polish the car, the paint on them might wear off and make a few rivets look shiny, and then she will look nicely aged and very racy. Shiny rivets are for show cars IMO ... and not what the GTAm was about.

BTW: I think your car looked beaut. Good stance, etc. But your car and you are 20 years younger than me :)
Pete

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
When I was in high school, one teacher came up with a 1750 done up almost like you want to do: riveted GTAM arches, 13 inches mags (that was the way to do it back then, mid 70s) and 60 series Radial TA., a Conrero plate in the grill. Looked hot, racy. I wanted one. Soon enough another, stock 1750 GTV joined it in the teachers lot.

This was my dream. Now it's yours.

BTW I later found out this was a totally stock 1750 that was done by an Alfa parts guy, he's the one who riveted the arches. The car is also still around, owned by our best mechanic.

·
Registered
1974 Alfa Romeo GTV 2000
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Rivets should be painted. Over time as you clean and polish the car, the paint on them might wear off and make a few rivets look shiny, and then she will look nicely aged and very racy. Shiny rivets are for show cars IMO ... and not what the GTAm was about.

BTW: I think your car looked beaut. Good stance, etc. But your car and you are 20 years younger than me :)
Pete

Haha thanks Pete, yes I had it set up rather well in its previous life. Like I mentioned before the body was rough. Mike repaired all of the rust before I bought it from him, but the panel gaps and fitment of the doors and trunk leave much to be desired. The car was mostly paint runs and ripples. Which is fine, thats the price I paid for it. It was always my dream to have the excuse to tear it apart and make it a little wider and a little lower after having one of Roman Tucker's track prepped GTAms in our garage for a few weeks a few years ago... I spent hours circling it like a shark and wiping the drool off the ground ;)

Loving your vision! Wide, loud, low & driven properly, I hope :)
Wide loud and fast, describes me and my vehicles. Not always low though, by DD is a 18' Raptor lol

When I was in high school, one teacher came up with a 1750 done up almost like you want to do: riveted GTAM arches, 13 inches mags (that was the way to do it back then, mid 70s) and 60 series Radial TA., a Conrero plate in the grill. Looked hot, racy. I wanted one. Soon enough another, stock 1750 GTV joined it in the teachers lot.

This was my dream. Now it's yours.

BTW I later found out this was a totally stock 1750 that was done by an Alfa parts guy, he's the one who riveted the arches. The car is also still around, owned by our best mechanic.
Very cool!

We are in the process of building our second GTAm. Since we are just down the street in Warren, you are welcome to stop by and see what we are up to. PM me and we can discuss...
Ah cool! I was going to send you a note soon and see if I could pick your brain. I have followed a few of your builds looking forward to it!

·
Premium Member
16,007 Posts
Ok, I shouldn't have said the color you like was icky. Is different, though. Have seen it in real life. I liked the color it was painted in the first picture. Frankly, as well, I'm a little tired of red, after owning a few red Alfas in the past and present. Alfa has had many good colors through the years, but usually not seen in this country.

As for what you are doing to the car, yeah, ok, it is your car. Just thought it had been restored to a very nice degree and color, at least from a distance, lol. I've seen race configuration replicas before, and and thought that the real versions were what it was all about, not replicas, but whatever. In general, my experience is that they tend to become shortlived, alas.

And yes, I'm 2 1/2 times your age, so I see/value some things differently than you. I apologize if they don't match up with what you are doing. Have fun.

Reactions: jthames

·
Administrator
12,751 Posts
I've seen race configuration replicas before ... my experience is that they tend to become shortlived, alas.
My experience too.

I think it is because they become uncompromised, which is fun for only a short while, and grows quickly tiring. IMO a narrow body, quick 2000GTV, would be a better option because you can always add another muffler and lift off the accelerator (or change running gear) to get a different experience. Difficult and expensive to turn a widebody back into a narrow body, but not impossible.

Same happens with scratch built replicas. One of my dreams is to build a Alfa Romeo 158/9 replica from scratch, but unless I can make it road registered it would be practically unusable. I used to dream also of building a Ferrari 250LM (Alfa v6 powered) or Alfa Romeo 2900B replica, but where can you use them. Yes they would be road registerable but few historic car events would accept them, etc. ... so with these sorts of projects, and maybe this is the same for SouthBayGtv, it's all about the build fun
Pete

·
Registered
1974 Alfa Romeo GTV 2000
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If you like the Audi gray, you should check out Alfa's Graphite Gray. I think it's stunning and correct for a GTV. Although to be honest, I think loud colors suit the widebody better...
Ah I will check that out, there are a few Porsche greys I have been looking at also. 15% of me is leaning towards a Blue also, I really like the shade of blue on Adam Corolla's Muira SV with the bronze/gold accents.

My experience too.

I think it is because they become uncompromised, which is fun for only a short while, and grows quickly tiring. IMO a narrow body, quick 2000GTV, would be a better option because you can always add another muffler and lift off the accelerator (or change running gear) to get a different experience. Difficult and expensive to turn a widebody back into a narrow body, but not impossible.

Same happens with scratch built replicas. One of my dreams is to build a Alfa Romeo 158/9 replica from scratch, but unless I can make it road registered it would be practically unusable. I used to dream also of building a Ferrari 250LM (Alfa v6 powered) or Alfa Romeo 2900B replica, but where can you use them. Yes they would be road registerable but few historic car events would accept them, etc. ... so with these sorts of projects, and maybe this is the same for SouthBayGtv, it's all about the build fun
Pete
Yes, I would say the build is a part of it. I have not had a chance to build a car to this degree before with my father so that is also a big part of why I am doing what I am doing. I plan on keeping the car sane and street-able. My aim is not to build a Replica GTAm but to build a bit of a resto-mod wide body GTV. Like I said previously, if the car was straight and clean to begin with I would be leaving well enough alone and keeping it clean and narrow. But its not, so why not take it to the next level of insanity and be able to learn somethings along the way. For the first time I have a car that I dont think I see myself selling anytime soon after its completion, A. Because its my first big build that isnt a totally whacko big bodied 60s low-rider, or a modern european tuner car. B. Because this could be the only car I build to this degree hand in hand with my father. Im not worried about resale, or the ability to turn it back into what it once was. Because where it is going, the car will be finished off in such a way that it will be well beyond in quality what it ever was before.

·
Registered
1974 Alfa Romeo GTV 2000
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Updates!

Had a good first day in the shop. Got some things cleaned and arranged then got the GTV on the hoist and started yanking things.

-Exhaust off
-Half the interior Out
-Driveshaft out
-Transmission out
-Starter off
-Intake off
-Hood off
-Fluids all drained

Was very careful documenting everything with my camera, as well as labeling, bagging and tagging all the bits that are coming off. Starting a pile for plating, and a pile for Powder Coating. These things make my OCD happy.

Roman stopped by towards the end of our day to have a socially distant dinner with us outside and see my Dad's finished Duetto. He pointed out that the transmission appears to be out of a later spider as there is a neutral safety switch present (Albeit not hooked up) which is interesting to me.

Everything appears to be in order so far, man taking that starter out is a PAIN! Talk about tight clearances, wasn't sure it would squeeze out with the carbs still on.

Here are a couple snaps from my phone from today. Nothing much exciting yet! Hopefully the engine will be out tomorrow if I have the time to get over there and work on it in the afternoon.

Hope everyone had a nice memorial day!

-A

·
Premium Member
16,007 Posts
D*mn, lol, I still think that car on the rack looks pretty sharp the way it is, from a distance anyway. I wouldn't mind one looking just like that any day, but my wife won't let me buy another Alfa. Love the color and shape, even if you don't.

Have to admit, that if I came across one that looked like that for sale, I would have sold one of my 164s, even with liking them as much as I do. Might not have even bought the SS.

·
Registered
1974 Alfa Romeo GTV 2000
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
D*mn, lol, I still think that car on the rack looks pretty sharp the way it is, from a distance anyway. I wouldn't mind one looking just like that any day, but my wife won't let me buy another Alfa. Love the color and shape, even if you don't.

Have to admit, that if I came across one that looked like that for sale, I would have sold one of my 164s, even with liking them as much as I do. Might not have even bought the SS.
Haha yeah, its a 8-10ft car all day. Any closer in person and you see that its held together by the runs in the paint ;)

·
Registered
1974 Alfa Romeo GTV 2000
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

Im not against the current color of it, if I was keeping the car narrow I would consider respraying in a similar hue, but don't think burgundy/maroon is fitting for a "racier" car

·
Premium Member
5,544 Posts
It's a bit late now but there was no need to remove the starter or the intake (I'm assuming you're pulling the motor). And I would have recommended pulling the motor and trans out as a unit... Lots of threads on that or stop by the shop to discuss. But if you fed Roman he probably gave you all the secrets of stripping an Alfa 😁

1 - 20 of 48 Posts