Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The A-B-C-D-E measurements (see diagram) for the following appear the same, so what is the difference to justify an Alfa number change?
1365.67.715: 101-1300 Sprint & Spider + Veloce with DCOE
101.21.44.050.01: only the 101-1600 Spider Veloce
750-101 Accelerator Control Lever Assembly.jpg
750-101 Accelerator Control Lever Assembly.jpg

·
Administrator
3,901 Posts
Carl if I can hazard an educated guess...... it would have been the 2 year gap in Veloce production

We know that when Alfa brought out the 1600 Giulia Sprints & Spiders that they dropped the Veloce model in '62 & '63. This is evident in the inner wing change to the cars where there is no provision for the extra hole for the Veloce air scoop. Quite simply Alfa didn't want the old model to compete against the new 105 Giulia Ti, Ti Super & Giulia Sprint GT's.

We also know that the delays in the Duetto production were hurting Alfa badly and in '64 the decision was made to build a performance version to offer to the public - enter the Giulia Spider Veloce. The LHS inner wing was changed again to have the hole for the extra air pipe and the voltage regulator was moved again. In a way the 1091 Giulia Spider Veloce's were a temporary stop-gap to plug the much needed hole for a Flagship Spider, owners of these exceptional little jewels should be very thankful for the Duetto delays !!!

So after a gap of 2 years, Alfa is once again looking for Veloce parts, but as usual they check what's in the bins and use that, in this case the "Lever Assembly' accelerator control" from the Giulia Sprint Speciale, hence the 10121 Part Number because that's what Bureaucracy does best, it generates paperwork !!

Ciao
Greig

·
Super Moderator
11,778 Posts
That's as good an assumption as I've ever heard Greig.

·
Registered
7,986 Posts
There were 7 different iterations of this lever in various forms from the first cars in all forms to the last 1600 Veloce... The part numbers reflect not only the spread in levers but also the length of the manual throttle control lever and the position of the throw lever to the carbs in the axial sense. There is cross over on part 1365.67.715 which applied to Normales and Veloces in the Giulietta series so nothing is sacrosanct. The bottom line is there is no way to identify one from another without the part number stamped on them and they are not. .. the prudent approach is to use what you got and if it has any interference with the starter ..bend it.. and it works fine....tt's getting late .. when are we going to drive one of these cars? U..

·
Super Moderator
11,778 Posts
I can easily believe that Uncle! I've been bending them and modifying them since the early 60's! The starter solenoid HOT + 12 V MUST be avoided. The low voltage welding experiment that takes place directly under the Webers with the long pushrod, at full throttle, is something to behold!

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have determined why the 1600 SS has a unique number --- the "C" measurement is unique to it.

So after a gap of 2 years, Alfa is once again looking for Veloce parts, but as usual they check what's in the bins and use that, in this case the "Lever Assembly' accelerator control" from the Giulia Sprint Speciale, hence the 10121 Part Number because that's what Bureaucracy does best, it generates paperwork !!

Ciao
Greig
[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
7,986 Posts
I have determined why the 1600 SS has a unique number --- the "C" measurement is unique to it.

Ciao
Greig
[/QUOTE]
i think Alfa had it right.. all along the manual arm on the 1600 SS is longer than on the 1600 Veloce . They knew what they were doing. My point from my last post. if you had all 7 different levers spread out before you on a table it would be next to impossible to tell which goes with which car and trial fitting them would prove the differences don't matter in the scheme of things.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The length of center of the rod to the tip of the lever for attachment of manual throttle wire is 82 mm for all varieties examined to-date:

(2) 1365.67.719 – 750 Veloce / DOC3

(3) 1365.67.715 – 101-1300 Normale

(1) 101.12.44.050.00 – 101-1600 Normale

(1) 101.21.44.050.00 – 101-1600 SS

(1) 101.21.44.050.01 – estimate based on it was measured a bit differently than others.

This is with correcting my drawing with "E" to the center of the rod:
750-101 Throttle Levers How to Measure.jpg

1 - 8 of 8 Posts