Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

I was just hoping you would be able to assist me in diagnosing a problem I've recently started having with my '87 2.5L 75.

About a week or so ago I started the car in the morning and noticed it was unusually sluggish. I ignored it assuming it was just cold, however when it had warmed up I noticed it still wasn't as responsive as normal, and the accelerator pedal seemed to be slightly harder. At normal running temperature I was accelerating onto a motorway onramp and the car started surging, however it was power surging on, giving me the feeling that something was holding back. All fluids were fine, I had about half a tank of fuel. I've since noticed this happens everytime I drive the car, anything over 1/4 throttle, on flat surface or up hills. I replaced the throttle cable grommit that was cracking and cleaned my AFM as it had some buildup from my recent filter reoil, however it seemed to make no difference. I wondered about the throttle body or fuel delivery, however today I could distinctly feel that something is holding back, despite the engine is revving quite happily, basically not doing the speed I would normally be doing at that RPM, so I've wondered whether it could be in the driveline and not the engine itself?!

Anyone have any suggestions for places to look? I haven't yet had the time to give the car a thorough once over due to work and exams, but any pointers would be great. I've tried searching through some other threads, but nothing seems similar.

ROCK ON
R~R

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tacho's always been wrong, speedo is correct, day in day out routine tells me it's not right. However it's not always the case, and it's mainly under acceleration. It's been difficult enough for me to try and figure out what exactly happens, let alone try and convey it. Particularly as I haven't been driving it everyday.

My issue with the slipping clutch is that this was a 'suddenly one day' problem, not something that's happened gradually over time. It was fine one day, the next day it's suddenly developed the issue as soon as it was turned over. However I'll investigate it further.

ROCK ON
R~R

·
Registered
296 Posts
you are not alone! my 3.0ltrs performance changes everyday, no clutch slip, gauges accurate....
some days it really performs, others it feels like a 1.6 on top form!
i,ve checked earths, checked for air leaks, checked sensor settings and values but still draw a blank.
its not atmospherics either:mad:
there must be something being overlooked:confused:

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Ok, maybe I was being a little simplistic.

Based on
basically not doing the speed I would normally be doing at that RPM,
If normally you would be driving at 75kph in third at 3500rpm and instead you only managed 70kph at the same revs, the clutch must be slipping as all the other connections between the engine and wheels are at a fixed ratio.

However if I ignore that statement, I would suggest checking the fuel filter and pump and maybe the injectors.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts