Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Purchased an 86 Spider Quadrifoglio in September. New to this board and feel lucky to join this forum. My background is with german cars, older Porsches and BMW's. Bought this car for a fun driver.

Had a leak in the upper radiator tank seam. While I had it out, I noticed that there was no fan belt on the AC compressor. Some PO has cut the wire for the magnetic clutch. Applied 12v to the remaining wire stub and the clutch actuated. Have to wonder if the compressor is operational. Does anyone know the color of the wire to the mag clutch? Have a possible blue wire with "bullet" connector in the area coming from wire bundle behind the ac airdryer/coil. Can anyone identify the watch battery sized component with the two black wires coming from the same wire bundle? ( I have included pictures. I already know you like pictures)

I would be so thankful if someone would send me one on PapaJams wiring diagrams for an 86 Spider quadrifoglio. This is my first post so perhaps someone could email a copy to [email protected].

I am looking forward to participating with such a knowledgable and cordial group.
Mike Sulley

Attachments

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
Hello Mike, and welcome to the BB! The device with the two wires looks like a freeze sensor or contact temp sensor of some type. Not sure... The wire lead to the AC compressor on my '91 Spider is green.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hello Mike, and welcome to the BB! The device with the two wires looks like a freeze sensor or contact temp sensor of some type. Not sure... The wire lead to the AC compressor on my '91 Spider is green.
Thanks alfaloco, I appreciate your quick response. Mine could almost be blue-green. The “bullet” connector seemed logical as a way to connect to the compressor’s stock mag clutch wire.

I was wondering if that was a sensor of some kind associated with the ac. Perhaps a thermistor. It looks like it was glued or screwed to something. So does it control something like the mag clutch if the system gets to hot or to cold?
thanks for your help.
Mike

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
That's a good guess, Mike. I don't recall seeing it on those Sanden rotary AC compressors, though. Maybe freeze protection... high temp protection? Was it near the refrigerant lines into the firewall, or closer to the condenser up front?

·
Registered
88 Posts
The 2 wire device is a temp sensor, normally attached to the radiator fan shroud, it turns on the A/C condenser fan when it senses a certain high temp (not sure of exact degrees), it can run the fan even if A/C is off.
I can't check on the single wire device because my car is in winter storage now. Regards, George

·
Registered
7,371 Posts
yep quadspy got it right, it's the thermistor sensor (fan overrun)
See here (with further link, showing it on the fan shroud)...in fact you can also see a thickish blue wire in the photo too (diagram from an '88 shows a blue from AUX fan relay to compressor)

https://www.alfabb.com/threads/mystery-sensor.656185/

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
OK-- thanks guys! I wasn't familiar enough with the S3 Spider AC controls to be able to answer accurately.

The Alfa BB is a wonderful fountain of knowledge!

·
Registered
113 Posts
That sensor is screwed into the fan shroud. You actually helped me as well because now I know where that bullet plug goes into.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks all for your help. This forum is amazing. i am learning a lot. I wasn’t aware that my car had an electric fan. I will have to crawl under it and see. I will also have to look thru the service information I was given. It seems the radiator shroud was replaced in the mid 90’s. Perhaps why the thermo switch was tucked in behind the coil, along with the blue wire. One point of clarification. Spiderseries4, in the picture in the link you posted of the thermoswitch also shows a blue-green wire, does this wire go to the compressor or to the electric fan? I wasn’t clear on this.
Again, thanks for all your help.
Mike

·
Premium Member
3,934 Posts
The sensor turned on the electric fan in front of the radiator in extreme hot weather. Whether the a/c was on or not. When the a/c is turned on it automatically turns on. It stays on the whole time the a/c is on.

There is no pressure switch for the a/c. So clutch will engage even if there is no freon in the system. You can check to see if the clutch is good by applying power to the wire on the compressor. Compressor is ground to the engine by a ground wire between the compressor and a bolt holding the compressor bracket to the engine. The 4 rubber bushings in the bracket go bad and the compressor leans towards the crank pulley and it will start to throw the belt off.

·
Registered
113 Posts
The sensor turned on the electric fan in front of the radiator in extreme hot weather. Whether the a/c was on or not. When the a/c is turned on it automatically turns on. It stays on the whole time the a/c is on.

There is no pressure switch for the a/c. So clutch will engage even if there is no freon in the system. You can check to see if the clutch is good by applying power to the wire on the compressor. Compressor is ground to the engine by a ground wire between the compressor and a bolt holding the compressor bracket to the engine. The 4 rubber bushings in the bracket go bad and the compressor leans towards the crank pulley and it will start to throw the belt off.
First time I've heard of these bushings? Any photos of the location?

·
Registered
7,371 Posts
Like any metalistic bush, they all need replacement eventually.

The original alfa PN for those metalistic bushes was: 60500529
In fact an italian company, Impergom, made most of these bushes for Fiat/AR/Lancia etc, but you need to be a supplier to order parts from them: Alfa PN translates to: 'Impergom 1972' or 'Original Imperium 1972'

DiFatta now offers repros, see ebay listing:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Like any metalistic bush, they all need replacement eventually.

The original alfa PN for those metalistic bushes was: 60500529
In fact an italian company, Impergom, made most of these bushes for Fiat/AR/Lancia etc, but you need to be a supplier to order parts from them: Alfa PN translates to: 'Impergom 1972' or 'Original Imperium 1972'

DiFatta now offers repros, see ebay listing:
Thanks one and all for your support. Worn bushings may be the reason for no belt on my compressor when I bought it. I am forging ahead. I have applied 12v to the mag clutch and it energizes. I have been able to spin the compressor with a wrench. So I am currently trying to clean up the remaining stub of wire to the mag clutch in order to solder a longer lead so I can reconnect it to the blue wire that runs to the ac relay. Is it possible to remove the clutch from the compressor if I have to replace the wire?

On a side note, thanks to this forum I was made aware of the engine block coolant drain under the rear of the exhaust manifold. I was able to remove the plug w/ a 22mm wrench and drain. Mean while my radiator if filled and soaking w/ Lime away to remove scale.

I very rarely need ac here in Alaska, but it might be helpful driving in the rain. And since the car has it, I would like it to work.

Thanks gentlemen for all your help.
Mike

1 - 15 of 15 Posts