Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I have an 88 Graduate with factory air. It has never worked, nor have I attempted to fix it as I live in a climate which doesn't really warrant it with a convertible. So, my plan is to remove all of the AC bits. My question is the airflow route; with AC, the three centre vents and two horizontal vents by the doors are all for the AC so how is it routed with the non AC models? I suspect the panel in the centre air diffuser is removed allowing heat to come out of the centre vents? The end ones on the dash I'm not sure about, are they just fresh air ducts as in the Series 2 examples?

Many thanks for your assistance!

Graham.

·
Registered
what part?
10,917 Posts
the heater has only 2 hoses to the defrosters... and the heater floor vent come directly from the heater box.. so just remove everything else.. no part of the a/c will be inside the heater box.. the a/c will be in the pass. footwell.. after you remove the a/c the vents on the centre counsel will be connected to nothing... and the dash vents ( not the defroster vents )_ will be no op. you will take about 45 pounds off the car.. you know what parts to remove.. the dum dum waddding will be a mess to remove.. the hoses that ran thro the firewall will be removed so just get some aluiumn tape and just taper over the holes.. to keep any exhaust smells out of the car...i did this to my 1984 car a long time ago, its not to hard to remove,,,keep and poss. sell the parts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the heater has only 2 hoses to the defrosters... and the heater floor vent come directly from the heater box.. so just remove everything else.. no part of the a/c will be inside the heater box.. the a/c will be in the pass. footwell.. after you remove the a/c the vents on the centre counsel will be connected to nothing... and the dash vents ( not the defroster vents )_ will be no op. you will take about 45 pounds off the car.. you know what parts to remove.. the dum dum waddding will be a mess to remove.. the hoses that ran thro the firewall will be removed so just get some aluiumn tape and just taper over the holes.. to keep any exhaust smells out of the car...i did this to my 1984 car a long time ago, its not to hard to remove,,,keep and poss. sell the parts
Thanks bianchi, so for the cars that didn't come with AC, what happened with the AC vents? Surely they were hooked up to something?

·
Premium Member
1,618 Posts
Thanks bianchi, so for the cars that didn't come with AC, what happened with the AC vents? Surely they were hooked up to something?
That is an excellent question that I have never thought about. On the 1985 and earlier cars, the gauges were there.
I need to look into this.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That is an excellent question that I have never thought about. On the 1985 and earlier cars, the gauges were there.
I need to look into this.
There is a removeable panel that separates the "defrost" area from the "AC" area of the center diffuser so I suspect that would be removed for the non AC cars and those three vents would then become part of the heating system. Not sure about the dash vents on the ends, maybe fresh air coming in through the scuttle panel. I'll have to check the scuttle and see if they have the holes in them as the S2's had.

·
Premium Member
1,618 Posts
I was just told that those vents on a non-A/C car became part of the fresh air vent system like the ones on either end of the dash.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was just told that those vents on a non-A/C car became part of the fresh air vent system like the ones on either end of the dash.
Hmm, curious. Not sure where the air would come in from to affect that system but I'll have a look. Many thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,618 Posts
Hmm, curious. Not sure where the air would come in from to affect that system but I'll have a look. Many thanks!
I was told that it somehow comes through the same as the air for the end vents but I cannot verify that as I don't have one.

·
Registered
what part?
10,917 Posts
i installed speakers in the dash vents near each door

·
Premium Member
5,865 Posts
Here is how non a/c works.

The cross member under the cowl is different between a/c and non a/c spiders. A spider without a/c will have a oblong hole cut in it on each end. This feeds fresh air into the tubes connected to the cross member and the fresh air vents on each end of the dash.

A spider with a/c will not have the oblong holes cut in the cross member. Also there is really no way to get into the area where they go to cut some.

On the center vents. The air camber that bolts to the underside of the dash feeds air from the heater box and the a/c system on a spider with a/c. On a non a/c spider there are to plugs that block off the oblong hole on the underside where the tubes from the a/c would go.

As to air from the center vents on a/c and non a/c cars is feed through the heater box. Its not fresh air. Its more recirculated air. You leave the temp lever down so the heat is shut off. Then move the air flap lever up and down until you feel the most air come out the center vents.

I've attach the 2 relevant microfiche pages showing the different parts between a/c and non a/c. Look in the bottom left hand corner for the symbol to reference the a/c and non a/c parts. After you click on the picture. Click on the box in the lower right hand corner to get the picture bar to drop out of the way.

Attachments

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Here is how non a/c works.

The cross member under the cowl is different between a/c and non a/c spiders. A spider without a/c will have a oblong hole cut in it on each end. This feeds fresh air into the tubes connected to the cross member and the fresh air vents on each end of the dash.

A spider with a/c will not have the oblong holes cut in the cross member. Also there is really no way to get into the area where they go to cut some.

On the center vents. The air camber that bolts to the underside of the dash feeds air from the heater box and the a/c system on a spider with a/c. On a non a/c spider there are to plugs that block off the oblong hole on the underside where the tubes from the a/c would go.

As to air from the center vents on a/c and non a/c cars is feed through the heater box. Its not fresh air. Its more recirculated air. You leave the temp lever down so the heat is shut off. Then move the air flap lever up and down until you feel the most air come out the center vents.

I've attach the 2 relevant microfiche pages showing the different parts between a/c and non a/c. Look in the bottom left hand corner for the symbol to reference the a/c and non a/c parts. After you click on the picture. Click on the box in the lower right hand corner to get the picture bar to drop out of the way.
Ah, fantastic! Thanks so much for this, exactly what I was looking for!

·
Premium Member
1,618 Posts
Ah, fantastic! Thanks so much for this, exactly what I was looking for!
And now you know who told me everything I know about this. :LOL: :)

Reactions: Gds102
1 - 12 of 12 Posts