Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
good day. I am currently moving my ac dryer and ignition coil to there original location and noticed a wire going to the ac compressor that looks to be to a thermal high temp switch that is damaged. it isn't screwed down anywhere and the plastic around the switch is broken. does anyone know where I could get a new one where to hook it up? thank you in advance. Alex

·
Premium Member
1,470 Posts
Hi Alex,
Does the switch you are referring to look anything like the one pictured in the first two photographs below? If so, it is supposed to be secured to a metal clip that is attached in the upper edge of the fan shroud (on the RH side) as shown in the third photograph.

Attachments

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow Yes that is exactly it. Are they replaceable and what is its exact function? You wouldn't happen to have a photo of it attached? Thank you for getting back to me.

Alex

·
Premium Member
1,470 Posts
Wow Yes that is exactly it. Are they replaceable and what is its exact function? You wouldn't happen to have a photo of it attached? Thank you for getting back to me.

Alex
Hi Alex,

Yes those little sensors are replaceable. Their purpose is to turn on the auxiliary blower fan in front of the radiator when the car gets too hot. It works whether the ignition switch is on or off, so it will allow the fan to keep running for a while after the key is turned off (to aid in cooling the radiator).

Here's a post that shows the sensor secured to the fan shroud:

http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/1122438-post2.html

I have heard that the proper way to mount them is straight back, so the flat metal side of the switch is extended off the back of the shroud and pointed towards the fan, but I think it would be just fine the way it is shown in the photo in this post. I also think the little fork that is molded into the shroud below the sensor is designed to hold the brown sensor wires.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thank you so much. I'll install and see if it's functioning. would a good way to test it be to heat it up and see if the auxiliary fan turns on? if I understood you correctly the ignition can be off for the test.

Alex

·
Premium Member
1,470 Posts
would a good way to test it be to heat it up and see if the auxiliary fan turns on? if I understood you correctly the ignition can be off for the test.
Alex
Hi Alex,

Yup. You've got the right idea. Hit it with a hair dryer or heat gun for a few minutes.

Here's a post from the FAQ Forum that mentions the same test that you suggest:

http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/877541-post72.html

Keep us posted on your progress.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thank you s much. I performed the heat test and it work so I think I'm just going to reinstall in the correct location. if I would want to replace it What is the correct part or voltage details I would need to find it?

thanks again.

Alex.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts