Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am removing the ac from my 84 spider. Not sure what to do with the hoses going into the firewall. Can I disconnect them pretty easily under the dash?

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,478 Posts
Yeah, you should just be able to unscrew the hoses from the evaporator. It's tight under there and they'll probably be covered in tar tape that you need to dig through, but if it's like my '91 it's not that bad.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have considered doing the same thing to my '91. My mechanic says the engine belt would be different. I was also wondering if removing the interior plate in the air distribution box would restore real air flow to the floor and vents?

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
I am still in the process of having new hoses made up to rebuild the A/C on my 88 quad. When I got it the PO stated that the A/C was "not working". Hell, it was not even there. the condenser, compressor and mount, filter dryer, and the 2 front hoses were gone. The 2 rear hoses had been slashed in 2 about half way back to the firewall.

Do the next prospective owner a favor and just remove the compressor, then plug up the hoses. The rest of the weight won't amount to much and will not drag down the engine. You may change your mind someday, or a prospective next owner may want the A/C. Then it will be very nice to have only the compressor missing, rather than the cut up - chopped up abortion I am dealing with now on this quad. It gets real hot in Memphis during the summer months.

Robert

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,478 Posts
I have considered doing the same thing to my '91. My mechanic says the engine belt would be different. I was also wondering if removing the interior plate in the air distribution box would restore real air flow to the floor and vents?
If you remove the compressor on an S4, yes, you'd need a shorter serpentine belt. I think these cars were sold in Europe with A/C as an option so probably the right belt is available. RockAuto may have the correct listing.

If you do pull it out SAVE THE PARTS as that compressor is kind of rare and can be rebuilt.

On non A/C cars the outside vents were fed by ram air from outside. I don't think this is easy to restore without adding some ducting under the hood and some pass-throughs through the firewall, but I could be wrong.

Maybe someone else knows. I'm curious now, so if I've got time I'll pull up the parts diagrams and see what I can find out.

·
Registered
8,049 Posts
If you remove the compressor on an S4, yes, you'd need a shorter serpentine belt. I think these cars were sold in Europe with A/C as an option so probably the right belt is available.
.....afaik, no euro S4 had A/C.....I have only seen/heard of A/C on import vehicles (USA or Japan)

In case it helps, the belts for my euro S4 are:
Power steering ribbed belt: Contitech 5 PK 950
Alternator belt: Contitech FS AVX 10 x 825 La

1 - 6 of 6 Posts