Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've been struggling with trying to remove the AC compressor from it's mounting bracket with no luck, bolts seem impossible to crack and/or get to, so my question is this; can you remove the bracket from the block without removing the compressor first? According to the shop manual, it looks as if there may be a couple of bolts behind the compressor holding the bracket to the block as well...ergh.

Many thanks!

·
Administrator
17,779 Posts
I installed the A/C compressor & its bracket in our '84 Spider - so it should be the same/similar. As I recall, the access was very limited, a couple from above and a couple from below. I have a lift in my garage so that helped with getting to them. As I recall, I used various combinations of box end wrenches, short &/or long sockets and U-joint adapters. And even then it was often turn one flat at at time.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I installed the A/C compressor & its bracket in our '84 Spider - so it should be the same/similar. As I recall, the access was very limited, a couple from above and a couple from below. I have a lift in my garage so that helped with getting to them. As I recall, I used various combinations of box end wrenches, short &/or long sockets and U-joint adapters. And even then it was often turn one flat at at time.
Yeah, it's proving to be quite the challenge, thus why I though you could remove the bracket with the compressor still attached however I have my doubts. Thanks for the fast response!

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
One flat at a time... The trials and tribulations of an Alfa owner.

·
Premium Member
1,648 Posts
Yeah, it's proving to be quite the challenge, thus why I though you could remove the bracket with the compressor still attached however I have my doubts. Thanks for the fast response!
It is a pain. Sometimes, I have to walk away for a bit and go back to it. Best of luck

·
Registered
134 Posts
I ended up purchasing several wrenches to try to get better access. It takes awhile and is quite frustrating!

·
Registered
89 Posts
I recently removed the compressor and bracket from my 1990 Spider (inoperative with a corroded, broken hose) and it was a dogfight! A couple of the bolts holding the compressor to the bracket were nearly inaccessible, and I think I had to leave a couple of bolts in place until I had nuts removed before I could lift the compressor out. The nut underneath closest to the oil pan was the worst one to get free. I had to carefully use my Sawzall to cut the nut so that I could get it free.

The iron mounting bracket comes off the engine block fairly easily, and there's nothing behind the bracket covering or blocking anything on the engine block itself. Quite a few pounds removed from the car with those two items out of the engine compartment. ;)

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, success finally! Had to heat up one of the mounting bolts to get the compressor off of the bracket. With three of the four off (the rear lower bolt was near impossible access). With the three off, I was able to rotate the compressor down off the bracket, accessing the two bolts left holding the bracket to the block and managed to get the bracket free. Not an easy task but AC system is now out. Thanks all for your comments!

·
Registered
'84 Spider Veloce
569 Posts
Grd102, by any chance have you weighed the items you removed? IIRC it's about 75 lbs, including bracket, compressor, blower, ducts, dryer, condenser, & hoses.

David OD
Laguna CA

·
Registered
it's almost a alfa romeo spider
10,942 Posts
use only a 6 point scocket for that work

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Grd102, by any chance have you weighed the items you removed? IIRC it's about 75 lbs, including bracket, compressor, blower, ducts, dryer, condenser, & hoses.

David OD
Laguna CA
Hi David, I think 75 lbs is pretty high. I have not weighed it all but I would suspect all in maybe 40ish. I have it all collected up so perhaps I'll weigh it all and post results

1 - 11 of 11 Posts