Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have the compressor mount that works on a 2L GTV?
If not, does anyone have some good pictures so i could perhaps copy the design?

Thanks!
Simon

·
Registered
584 Posts
Simon--I might have it. It could take a few days for me to get hold of it, if I do have it, it's at my mechanic's shop.

Where are you located?

Doug Bender

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm in CT.
Thanks for the picture. I did see that one. So is it intended to mount via the two large bolts on the front of the motor?
Thanks
Simon

·
Registered
56 Posts
Yes the main compressor bracket mounts to the two holes on the front of the engine that were used as access to machine the cam bearings during manufacture I believe.

·
Premium Member
4,528 Posts
I'm in CT.
Thanks for the picture. I did see that one. So is it intended to mount via the two large bolts on the front of the motor?
Thanks
Simon
You will also need the bracket the compressor mounts to that mounts to the bracket in the picture.

I have some but I won't be back to were they are for 3 or 4 weeks.

I'm in Georgia.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I can fabricate the compressor specific brackets, as I'm using a different compressor and a vintage air system... So what is pictured is ideal!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Doug - did you determine if this is something you have?

I must say it's not the most elegant design - it looks like they let a bridge builder make it! It looks like 1/4" plate steel too? Talk about heavy...

·
Premium Member
14,007 Posts
If your motor has carburetors you can mount the compressor in the place that was occupied by the Spica pump. You will just need the S3 bracket and hardware plus an S3 oil pan. It is a much nicer set up than the one you are considering.

·
Premium Member
2,784 Posts
I have the same setup for my '74 gtv. It is as pictured above, one very aesthetically challenged piece of work.

I plan to change to a Sanden and upgrade the system, also. I plan to still run the Spica system, so I'll have to do something else to mount the compressor rather than use the S3 parts.

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
I've tried lots of options and agree that using stock S3 parts is by far the best way to go. You'll need an S3 pulley also.

I think I may have a good used S3 compressor converted to o-ring fittings somewhere, if anybody is interested. Perfect for a DIY A/C project.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I've still got the SPICA system in place, and swapping that out at this point is a bridge too far... although I've definitely dreamed of running a megasquirt EFI system on this car... I've got it on my 550 Spyder, but that was an engine that was originally designed for EFI. But I digress.

I think I'm at least stuck with locating the compressor in the region of the alternator. I've seen an alternate design that moves the alternator up and the compressor below... not sure if that would all fit in my car.

So does anyone actually have this hardware as pictured and willing to sell?

Thanks!
Simon

·
Registered
584 Posts
Whoops, I was at my mechanic's shop today and forgot to check. I too am going to the S3 type mounting, it looks 200% better. So all the old stuff should still be around there. I'll drop in next week and check.

Doug Bender

·
Registered
56 Posts
If your GTV originally had AC, the battery would be located in the trunk leaving you with quite a bit of room for the compressor & hoses. If not, you might consider moving it there. If your GTV originally had AC, it would also have tinted glass, a rarity among GTV's I believe, if you have the original glass....

·
Premium Member
1,405 Posts
Anyone have the compressor mount that works on a 2L GTV?
If not, does anyone have some good pictures so i could perhaps copy the design?

Thanks!
Simon
I think I have it . Will look and get back. I know I have the lone supopoort from the alternator bolt. Bob

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'm also looking to purchase the a set of AC compressor brackets and the center console for the 1974 2000 gtv with AC car.
Pls. PM me if you have it.
Thanks,

Eric

·
Registered
584 Posts
Seems I have it. I was at my mechanic today and he says he has all the parts. I'll try to pick them up Saturday. The original poster (sghharib) has first dibs. Check with me Saturday.

Doug Bender

·
Registered
584 Posts
I went up there yesterday. The couldn't find anything. The place is a mess and the shop owner wasn't there. The parts are probably there somewhere, I'll try again in a week when the owner is back.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts