Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking from above and below, I can't see how tension adjustment is made. The compressor looks like it is mounted with four bolts to block. I can't tell if there are any slotted bolt holes.
You know I really like this car.
As for the factory service manual ..... well I really like the car.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Never mind. I found it in the manual. Those dreaded pulley shims. Owning a 1982 Porsche 911SC, I should have guessed this.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Actually if it is anything like the shims on my 82 911SC, it shouldn't be very difficult. Of course with the 911, when you open the lid, it's staring you right in the face.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,473 Posts
Where is pulley shim adjustment section in shop manual?

Never mind. I found it in the manual. Those dreaded pulley shims.
I have the same question and I cannot find the pulley shim adjustment procedure in the Heating and AC section. Where in the manual did you find it?

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't remember finding it in the manual either. I just looked at the situation, figured out how adding more or taking away more shims effectively changed the working "diameter" of the pulley. The closer the two halves are together, the larger the "diameter" is.

For me it was a "trial and error" thing. I think if belt is loose, you take away shims to increase pulley working diameter.

It is a strange way of doing things but it does seem to work. And it appears to be fairly common on certain European makes.

And you would be hard pressed to find a more pathetic factory service manual.

Good luck. You'll get it.

Warren

·
Premium Member
1,473 Posts
installing new AC belt

OK. So I removed the front pulley along with the 3 shim rings, placed a new belt around the compressor pulley, and replaced the front crank pulley over the new belt with the 3 spacer rings still in front of the pulley (not being used). I think I followed the shop manual instructions correctly:
1. Tightened the bolts by hand,
2. Turned the compressor pulley to free up the belt,
3. Repeat steps 1. and 2. until front pulley is seated and belt moves 10mm-15mm when pressed.
Maybe because the belt was new, I could not get the pulley to seat, so I removed everything, put one shim ring underneath the front crank pulley and put it all back together again (using the same shop manual technique). Once again the front half of the would not seat down tight against the rear pulley half, but this time the AC belt was looser (I could push it down about 10mm).
I took the whole thing apart again and this time tried it with 2 shim rings under the front pulley half. Again I could not get it to cinch up tight to the rear crank pulley half (even though I spun the compressor pulley as much as I could, and the belt would no longer slide loose in the crank pulley).
Finally I put all 3 shim rings under the front pulley and tightened bolts by hand, spun belt free, tightened bolts by hand, spun belt free, repeated many times, still could not get front half of pulley to pull all the way down on the 3 shims without pinching the belt between the 2 pulley halves. And the belt seemed pretty loose (I could push it down about 25mm).
Is this the way it should be? Do I need to re-install everything (fan, radiator, coolant, etc) and crank the motor over with the starter to see if the belt frees up and then tighten the pulley bolts again (and keep turning over the engine and tightening the pulley bolts until they seat fully)?
Can I just crank the engine a little bit without re-installing fan and radiator and coolant? How the heck can you tighten the pulley bolts when the fan, radiator and shroud are installed? It seems virtually impossible to turn the crank otherwise unless I put the car in gear and push it.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Whenever I have to turn a small engine for a couple of revolutions (like for adjusting valves), I always put the car into fourth or fifth gear. You should then be able to easily push car to turn the crank to seat the belt without starting engine. I do it all the time on other small cars.

You should only have to turn it a couple revs to seat belt between pulleys. It should be no big deal.

I don't know of any other way. And I really don't like "bumping" an engine with the starter. It's hard to control the situation. Slow and easy is always best to me.

Good luck,

Warren

1 - 10 of 10 Posts